Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: Awesome LP build

Post by Bg »

ash wrote:
NZRS-Dave wrote:Why make something new that noone has thought of before, better to copy your idol and be judged on it's closeness to perfection.

Bang on. Adherence to the great LPF book of majesty is easy to portray in a build thread. Other more important aspects of the science of luthiery fall into the realm of black magic for most people and it's really hard to take a picture of superior tap-tone or inter-stage seasoning.

Also, no matter how clever your original thinking, there's always some Andy to say "don't like that one". (in this case it's me and Lawrence ;) )
Its not on LPF and its the guys first build, its a pre slotted fretboard from stewmac. The guy is not the usual TGP wanker, just somebody with 20 years experience of part time woodworking. He uses a router, doesn't insist on purely hand tools... He doesn't know much about guitars, I would put that as a reason as to why he didn't do anything original. He's not a luthier.

Are we even looking at the same thread?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote: I reckon I spent 15-20 hours sanding my Tele :?
and in reality you probably should have done 15 - 20 more.....bloody silly sanding, you think its damn near perfect until that first coat of paint goes on and then bam all the little bumps, hollows and scratches magically jump out at ya :?
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

BG wrote: Its not on LPF and its the guys first build, its a pre slotted fretboard from stewmac. The guy is not the usual TGP wanker, just somebody with 20 years experience of part time woodworking. He uses a router, doesn't insist on purely hand tools... He doesn't know much about guitars, I would put that as a reason as to why he didn't do anything original. He's not a luthier.

LPF, MLP, TGP... same turkey, different gravy ;)

Sorry to pollute your thread with unwarranted griping, BG. He is doing a fine job and superbly documented, so my whinging is really more to do with the culture surrounding these builds than the actual craftsmen. I'll be quiet now :mrgreen:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

BG wrote:
ash wrote:
NZRS-Dave wrote:Why make something new that noone has thought of before, better to copy your idol and be judged on it's closeness to perfection.

Bang on. Adherence to the great LPF book of majesty is easy to portray in a build thread. Other more important aspects of the science of luthiery fall into the realm of black magic for most people and it's really hard to take a picture of superior tap-tone or inter-stage seasoning.

Also, no matter how clever your original thinking, there's always some Andy to say "don't like that one". (in this case it's me and Lawrence ;) )
Its not on LPF and its the guys first build, its a pre slotted fretboard from stewmac. The guy is not the usual TGP wanker, just somebody with 20 years experience of part time woodworking. He uses a router, doesn't insist on purely hand tools... He doesn't know much about guitars, I would put that as a reason as to why he didn't do anything original. He's not a luthier.

Good point ... I was a little amused than someone said 'I want to see you do one with hand tools only'. I wanted a wet trout to slap him gently around the head with.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

willow13 wrote:
jeremyb wrote: I reckon I spent 15-20 hours sanding my Tele :?
and in reality you probably should have done 15 - 20 more.....bloody silly sanding, you think its damn near perfect until that first coat of paint goes on and then bam all the little bumps, hollows and scratches magically jump out at ya :?
Kinda why I went with stain and oil over an open grain wood, wanted a more organic look to it :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 594 times
Been liked: 460 times

Post by werdna »

I tried to calculate how long it would take to build the LP (if I could do it successfully), and then I compared how much money I could earn instead.

It would be cheaper for me to make a LP clone than spend the USD5,000.

I love those build diaries. They make me want to start something.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Man this guy is the man! Fuck the haters! (not you Ash, I'd never say anything bad about my beloved guitars creator :P)
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave