Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Warmoth Custom Parts Site

Post by Some Bozo »

slash-ed wrote:
Timoes wrote:Been looking at Warmoth too. Untill I saw what this guy had to say. http://www.youtube.com/user/tonymckenzi ... mNerhTLaro
The video was too long for me to watch, but I've read his other gear reviews, and he seems to have too much money but no idea about gear. But he thinks he does, and thus comes off as a tool.
Can't see the vid from work, but that name sounds familiar, is that the same old, glum-looking English guy who reviewed the HD500 and made it sound far worse than it really does, like he was running it through the OD channel on his marshall stack or somethign, and spent an hour's worth of vids playing badly through ALL the presets one at a time, despite the fact that presets always blow goats. He seemed to be a little out of touch with music from the last 20 years or so and didn't get why the "Mysterious Ways" preset sounded weirdly filtered and echo-ey. Eventually he took the HD500 reviews down after hundreds of comments saying he can't play, no-one uses presets because you have to tweak everything to suit your gear, and he's clearly set the system up wrong to make it sound that sh1tty. If it's him, he is inded a tool, and his words are like so much fart gas.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3909 times

Post by Bg »

Some Bozo wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
Timoes wrote:Been looking at Warmoth too. Untill I saw what this guy had to say. http://www.youtube.com/user/tonymckenzi ... mNerhTLaro
The video was too long for me to watch, but I've read his other gear reviews, and he seems to have too much money but no idea about gear. But he thinks he does, and thus comes off as a tool.
Can't see the vid from work, but that name sounds familiar, is that the same old, glum-looking English guy who reviewed the HD500 and made it sound far worse than it really does, like he was running it through the OD channel on his marshall stack or somethign, and spent an hour's worth of vids playing badly through ALL the presets one at a time, despite the fact that presets always blow goats. He seemed to be a little out of touch with music from the last 20 years or so and didn't get why the "Mysterious Ways" preset sounded weirdly filtered and echo-ey. Eventually he took the HD500 reviews down after hundreds of comments saying he can't play, no-one uses presets because you have to tweak everything to suit your gear, and he's clearly set the system up wrong to make it sound that sh1tty. If it's him, he is inded a tool, and his words are like so much fart gas.
did the same with the GR55 from the little bit I saw - what a tool ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

slash-ed wrote:= that guy is a tool.
You'll get no argument from me. He doesn't seem particularly switched on does he. :lol:

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

What's with the Warmoth bashing?

They have been around since the late 80s or so and maintained a really good reputation for quality while endevouring to cater to a wide range of tastes and needs. That is a worthy effort imo.

I for one think the huge range of options is great service for the customer because it is not always the cheapest or easiest way to go for the manufacturer. Not everybody wants a bog standard neck profile.

Allparts necks are not bad at all, I have one, but their range of options are very limited. It is a good neck but not fantastic by any stretch, so to be blunt I have played many much better necks from Fender. My Allparts neck and body do generate a heck of a lot of stratty tone though, so the wood must be the good stuff. I think a refret with extra good fret work would help get that high quality feel.
I am not sure how the Warmoth quality compares to either of them but if the quality really is higher and I able to choose my profile, radius, fret wire, nut width etc, etc while also having extra touches like choosing very piece of wood used for the fretboard it is worth the extra dosh, as long as it does not need any further work after purchase like my Allparts neck does. Ymmv.

I am now down to one guitar, so will slowly put together another guitar this coming year but most likely can't afford the Warmoth stuff, so might end up doing a RG parts scavenge project instead.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Aquila Rosso wrote:What's with the Warmoth bashing?
I didn't think there was to much Warmoth bashing, its was more Warmoth basher bashing.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

mr_sooty wrote:
You'll get no argument from me. He doesn't seem particularly switched on does he. :lol:
He thinks an ENGL preamp is the holy grail of tone. That should be enough warning really.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

slash-ed wrote:
mr_sooty wrote:
He thinks an ENGL preamp is the holy grail of tone. That should be enough warning really.
Isn't the Engl preamp model on the HD500 the holy grail of tone? :mrgreen:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

Aquila Rosso wrote:Isn't the Engl preamp model on the HD500 the holy grail of tone? :mrgreen:
It brings teh djentz fo sho'.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Yep. That old dude is a tool. But.. he spent a grand US on a body and they sent it to him minus the battery compartment and with a standard 4 screw neck pocket. He wanted the jeff beck offset job which he allready had a neck and flash plate for. The pot holes had to be drilled out to fit the pots although it was only a build up of lacquer. For a grand US I would be expecting a little more TBH.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.