Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

the_FLOYD
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Everybodies looking for their sound

Post by the_FLOYD »

We are all on the hunt for that specific sound (are you really gonna tell me you're never gonna dial in your gear for some more "X" ever again??) . While we want to emulate the sound and style of those we love, most of us are searching for our own sound, so... When is something different good, and when is it bad??

In other words, every one else is rocking on mahogany , I've decided to rock plywood, yes plywood. Flameshield on.

Sure, I'll loose some warmth and cream from my 'buckers, but no one else will have a sound like this gat.

The label bashers are gonna be all up on my S#!T on this i know but..
... When is something different good, and when is it bad??

Floyd
Crazy! Over the RAINBOW, i am crazy! Bars in the window;
They must of taken my marbles away!
Crazy! Toys in the attic he is crazy!

Oh, by the way

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Re: Everybodies looking for their sound

Post by mr_sooty »

It's all pretty subjective. I think George Harrison's tone on Revolution is the worst guitar sound ever recorded, but I bet he thought it was mean at the time. (or was it one of the other guitar playing Beatles?) And plywood seems to work on Gretsches and Gibson Hollowbodies.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath »

Yeah its the never ending tone argument. I think there is such thing as good and bad but one shouldnt forget bad tone can work just as good/better in a given situation to give the mood etc.
"You give me a fucking kazoo and I'll write you a good song." - Billy Corgan

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

In a way, it's quite liberating to know I'm never going to sound like Gilmour, Richards, or Wylde. I just have fun playing, and what happens, happens. Doesn't mean I'd pass up my Korina Telecaster, though.

And Cowboys From Hell is a good example of what you were saying -- solid state (heresy!) Randall distortion, but it's still a metal classic.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

the_FLOYD wrote:
In other words, every one else is rocking on mahogany , I've decided to rock plywood, yes plywood. Flameshield on.

Sure, I'll loose some warmth and cream from my 'buckers, but no one else will have a sound like this

Floyd
You could rock the chipboard, and go for ultimate shit in tone...
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Vorbis wrote:
the_FLOYD wrote:

Sure, I'll loose some warmth and cream from my 'buckers, but no one else will have a sound like this

Floyd
Boss HM-2 and Peavey Rage will complete the sound you're looking for :lol:
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Some Bozo wrote:
Vorbis wrote:
the_FLOYD wrote:

Floyd
Boss HM-2 and Peavey Rage will complete the sound you're looking for :lol:
I thought one of those Jaycar amps would be better....
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Vorbis wrote:
Paired with an aluminium-cone speaker.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Some Bozo wrote:
Vorbis wrote:
Paired with an aluminium-cone speaker.
I'd remove the speaker for moar tone and kwalitee kontent.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

the_FLOYD wrote: so... When is something different good, and when is it bad??
Floyd
It's 'different good' when you like it.

It's 'different bad' when you don't like it.

At least that's how I reckon it goes. It's amazing what combinations of materials and gear can work if you have a bit of imagination and the open-mindedness to accept something new as being as valuable as some already done thing.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1361 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

the_FLOYD wrote:We are all on the hunt for that specific sound (are you really gonna tell me you're never gonna dial in your gear for some more "X" ever again??) . While we want to emulate the sound and style of those we love, most of us are searching for our own sound, so... When is something different good, and when is it bad??

Sure, I'll loose some warmth and cream from my 'buckers, but no one else will have a sound like this gat.

The label bashers are gonna be all up on my S#!T on this i know but..
... When is something different good, and when is it bad??

Floyd

I guess that is the starting point for many of us...but once you kinda emulate a specific sound, or feel, you naturally want to move forwards into your own sound. Nowadays I'm not on the hunt for specifics...I'm just open to whatever sounds good and will follow that path regardless. If I emulate someone...cool...or maybe not...but it's not a sustantive or cognisant issue. Flip side, when I was 19 years old playing Marillion all night...I just wanted Steve's tone and style.

In my experience I've only really changed my playing style or sound/tone by way of disruptive change. That is, someone shows me a totally different way of playing, or I found more money for a better amp/guitar/pedal, Iistened to something I normally wouldn't have and went "holy crap, that's fab" and tried to emulate it it or morph it into something I might be able to use. And in the end all of those things contribte to some sort of own "specific sound"...

So to pull it back to the plywood argument...it is an individual intrument...you may learn to work it, create a unique sound, play some heartbreaking melodies on it. Or maybe not. If you want to always hear a 1959 Les Paul humbucker sound....start saving and buy one. If you want to play music that is yours, grab the nearest thing and hit it with your funk.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1361 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Hot_Grits wrote:
the_FLOYD wrote: so... When is something different good, and when is it bad??
Floyd
It's 'different good' when you like it.

It's 'different bad' when you don't like it.

At least that's how I reckon it goes. It's amazing what combinations of materials and gear can work if you have a bit of imagination and the open-mindedness to accept something new as being as valuable as some already done thing.
+1
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

the_FLOYD wrote: In other words, every one else is rocking on mahogany , I've decided to rock plywood, yes plywood. Flameshield on.
I don't think it's such a big deal... Danelectros are made of masonite and pine, and always have been.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

if it's not working, just turn your amp up
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

On one hand I think the tone is in the fingers argument is a bit wank, but on the other hand, two guitarists playing thru the same rig can sound quite different, especially when it comes to phrasing and vibrato.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.