Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Shrink a neck pocket?

Post by Vorbis »

So I bought a cheap Strat body off Tm, it's actually pretty decent but the neck pocket has been routed a bit too wide for a spec Strat neck. Anyone tried using epoxy resin to fill the gap? I read you can wrap the butt of the neck in glad wrap whilst the resin dries so you can remove the neck when dry and get a snug fit.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: Shrink a neck pocket?

Post by Bg »

Vorbis wrote:So I bought a cheap Strat body off Tm, it's actually pretty decent but the neck pocket has been routed a bit too wide for a spec Strat neck. Anyone tried using epoxy resin to fill the gap? I read you can wrap the butt of the neck in glad wrap whilst the resin dries so you can remove the neck when dry and get a snug fit.
Yes and yes, my routing skills havent always been so superb, and still arent at times.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

Shim that bad boy or glue in new wood and route it to the right size :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

pete_currie
Squier

Post by pete_currie »

Hot glue or blu-tak. 8)

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

jeremyb wrote:Shim that bad boy or glue in new wood and route it to the right size :)
There's no way I could route a neck pocket without an mdf template or something to follow.
I'll give the resin a whirl...not like I'm screwing up a $500 body if it turns to shit 8)
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:Shim that bad boy or glue in new wood and route it to the right size :)
A lot of farting about for no gain, having a gap there makes no discern able difference in tone or sustain, that's what the bottom of the pocket does. It's purely for location and looks.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

Vorbis wrote:
There's no way I could route a neck pocket without an mdf template or something to follow.
I'll give the resin a whirl...not like I'm screwing up a $500 body if it turns to shit 8)
Couple of straight bits of wood and some clamps is all the template you need :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Shrink a neck pocket?

Post by Capt. Black »

I'm surprised jb doesn't have more to say about the thread title...

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Whaddya know, selleys knead it and one hour later....no more gap.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Vorbis wrote:Whaddya know, selleys knead it and one hour later....no more gap.
Yep, works a treat ;)

Though your tone will suck now.

Only joking, epoxy Makes a good grain filler - and a great many fenders (up until late 70's?) had a liberal dollop of t before the magic tone giving paint was applied

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I just wanted the neck to sit in the right posi whilst I drilled it through...I could have stored a couple of credit cards in that gap.
Knead it dries like frikken concrete.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I hadn't heard of that glad wrap tip before, but it sounds very useful. Then again, I've never had a guitar with a 'loose' neck joint. Tip stored away in memory - thanks!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Post by Slowy »

Rog wrote: Tip stored away in memory
You mean, you wrote it down? :wink:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Fuck no. If I wrote it down It'd be lost forever. Plus my writing is indecipherable, even by me. :D
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...