Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: Single slab of mahogany one piece Les Paul build

Post by Bg »

wowser :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Awesome work, loved the videos.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

That too. Excellent pacing/editing skillz. Better paced than many of the projects I work on.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Amazing!! frightening how multi talented you are.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

elams1894
Stagg
Stagg

Post by elams1894 »

werdna wrote:Awesome video. How many hours did it take, would you say?
Well thats a good question werdna and one which I have asked myself many times and the answer is quite scary. It has taken nearly a year to build and I spend a lot of time on it. It would have taken me well over 1000 hours.. thats conservative. I don't know why it took so long really but it just did. I just seemed to go on and on and on. The templates and jigs just took forever it seemed. Many things needed repeating but I thought that I would just take my time with the problems and get it right. The good thing is that I have all the jigs and templates ready there for the next time I want to build another one of these.

Thanks again for checking out the vids and for the kind comments.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Wow!

I've been reading the thread on iPhone for a few days but only just had a chance to sit down and watch the videos. Great work! Really absorbing to watch the process. I know Ash has mentioned that your method differs greatly to his but this has given me a whole new appreciation of what goes into a guitar build, no matter which way it is done.

So I'm watching part three and just when I was thinking how I'd love the chance to see and handle this guitar one day, a track comes on at about 4:15 and I think, hang on, I know that song... Holy shit! That's Fire at Will. I recorded all the drums for that record! Woohoo. I have tenuous connection to this guitar build. LOL

elams1894
Stagg
Stagg

Post by elams1894 »

Capt. Black wrote:Wow!

So I'm watching part three and just when I was thinking how I'd love the chance to see and handle this guitar one day, a track comes on at about 4:15 and I think, hang on, I know that song... Holy shit! That's Fire at Will. I recorded all the drums for that record! Woohoo. I have tenuous connection to this guitar build. LOL
Awesome! I love Fire at Will!.. cool

kwerk
Stagg
Stagg

Post by kwerk »

ash wrote:Congratulations, that's a fantastic project, perfectly executed.

I like your pickup design the best of all the good things to see there.

It's fun to see how other people do things, especially where a customer's design and budget aren't a factor. You do things very differently than I do.
Actually, you do things very differently to every other build thread I've read. Kinda like throwing the book out and writing your own. As I said over at the other joint, this blows me away. Just phenomenal.

elams1894
Stagg
Stagg

Post by elams1894 »

Actually, you do things very differently to every other build thread I've read. Kinda like throwing the book out and writing your own. As I said over at the other joint, this blows me away. Just phenomenal.[/quote]

Thanks Kwerk. Yes its always interesting seeing what methods people use to build their guitars. Sometimes I've had ideas and thought, that would be cool, and then try to work out how I would go about doing it. There may certainly be different approaches that work better perhaps but with the limited equipment I have, I try to find a solution that best fits the gear that I have. I have always been interested in the acoustics of guitars and how I might be able to get the best out of the wood in terms of construction. Sometimes it works and sometimes it goes horribly wrong, but its a heck of a lot of fun. I have a few other ideas floating around my head, I'll give them a whirl when I get some more time ha.

Thanks for the kind comments Kwerk, much appreciated.

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

As has been mentioned here before - I also now have a whole new appreciation for the work Adrian and other luthiers do.

Also for patience in general. Whenever it comes to any sort of project that takes a long time, my desire to do it right gets over powered by the need to get it done. I couldn't imagine a) doing something the requires so much patience, skill, craftsmanship and artistic vision as making a guitar and b) setting up a camera with the correct angles / light / focus to capture the process. I simply could not do it. You should be extremely proud of both the guitar and the excellent videos you put together.

My hat goes off to you, Mr Elams.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

And now with a demo of it playing!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXr0pmcE21Q[/youtube]
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

elams1894
Stagg
Stagg

Post by elams1894 »

Thanks Jeremyb! I just logged on to post the vid and it was already here..cool.

A massive thanks to Waylon for testing her out for me and running it through some of his fine pedals. Waylon is a great guy and I cannot speak highly enough of his pedals and the quality of his workmanship. My playing really is pretty average and its great to hear it being put through its paces.

I had many problems arise with its wiring. I ended up rewiring the whole guitar and having to shield every part. For some reason the guitar timber seemed to have a high level of conductivity. I haven't struck that before however the total shielding was very effective (a massive effort, but well worth it!)

Glad to finally have it complete and humming. Cheers

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

She looks beautiful man, and sounds amazing, you must be stoked!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

elams1894
Stagg
Stagg

Post by elams1894 »

Fully stoked, just over the moon with the tone.. cheers Jeremy

PlukkyBoy
Squier

Post by PlukkyBoy »

Absolutely amazing stuff. Quite apart from the skill, the patience to see it through to the end with the pickups and knobs is mind boggling - when I finally get around to a build it'll be the complete opposite!