Lespaul92
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 16 times

PAF humbucker recommendations

Post by Lespaul92 »

Hi guys

So i'm doing a couple of LP builds at the moment, ones going to be like slash's 87 standard and is pretty much sorted but the other is going to be based on a 59 and I can't decide on what pick ups to use. I've been checking out reviews on youtube and cut the list to three options; the Lindy Fralin Pure PAF, SD Antiquity or DM 36th anniversary. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on the different options.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: PAF humbucker recommendations

Post by Bg »

Classic 57's and I have a pair for sale, I replaced them with antiquity's but there is little difference to my ears.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

PlukkyBoy
Squier

Post by PlukkyBoy »

Well, if we're pimping our stuff, then I have Bare Knuckle Mules for sale. Otherwise, for Slash, I would have thought the SD Alnico II Pro was worth a look.

Lespaul92
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Lespaul92 »

interesting, i'm not really a fan of the 57s for an LP so maybe the antiquity's will get cut from the list...

Aren't the BK mules for high gain tones?

PlukkyBoy
Squier

Post by PlukkyBoy »

Lespaul92 wrote: Aren't the BK mules for high gain tones?
"Classic 'Patent Applied For' vintage tone" according to the maker.

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/p ... p=the_mule

Plus mine are unpotted... so, overall, I'd say no.

Lespaul92
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Lespaul92 »

I might have been thinking of the nailbombs, I'll check out some reviews and PM you if I'm keen.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I'll stick my neck out...

Throbak's are, in my experience (to which I will admit to not being complete as I have not tried the BKP described), are the closest I have got to a proper PAF in terms of modern reconstruction - and toan. I have the SLE-101 Plus. They deliver the goods. My real PAF's are more raucous than the Throbaks, but the difference is subtle and in keeping with the variations of real PAF's. All the chime airyness, "hair" on the note (a real cock-pull term from other forums, but frustratingly accurate) and other wank terms which all equate to "these pickups sound like those pickups". Worth the seemingly silly price? In my mind, yes.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

I haven't tried all of the aforementioned pickups but I'd definitely recommend the Bare Knuckle Mules if you can get them at a good price - I used to have a pair in a Les Paul and they were pretty amazing. In fact, they inspired me to buy a pair of BKP Rebel Yells for another Les Paul I owned.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Lespaul92 wrote:interesting, i'm not really a fan of the 57s for an LP so maybe the antiquity's will get cut from the list...

Aren't the BK mules for high gain tones?
they sound awesome in my 96, very articulate and 3 dimensional, they hit the classic rock tone and feel perfectly and can cleanup from very dirty to pristine with a turn of the vol. I've got the rscustomworks pot/cap wiring kit installed though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

I think 57 classics are awesome sounding pickups. I don't know if they sound like a real PAF of not, but they certainly sound great. My favourite of the aftermarkets is the Dimarzio 36th Ann PAF. Awesome sounding pickup!
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ