Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

evolution of an OLP

Post by willow13 »

well with the forum crash things have been quiet around here so I thought I would add some colour....

some may remember the OLP I got of some bozo....

Hated the green so added a veneer and did this...

ImageImage
ImageImage

well I have never really liked the sound of the guitar that much so it kinda just sits there gathering dust for the most part (hence the reason I have put it up for sale a couple of times). Then I thought about selling it again so decided to put a nicer veneer on it and try to flick it ....... but after gluing the new veneer on a gap opened up in the middle

so it sat for another month. Then I got to play a US wolfie and totally feel in love with it (but sadly to hamished to buy it)...but it gave me the idea to copy the wood eddie uses for his (basswood with maple cap). So I took out the saw and cut 5mm of the top of the basswood body
ImageImage

then drew the body on some maple
ImageImage

cut it out, glued and clamped
ImageImage
ImageImage

then strip old finish off

carve the maple
ImageImage
Last edited by willow13 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: evolution of the OLP

Post by alanp »

Didn't know EVH uses basswood? I thought it was a poor man's body, ala squier (them of the bad spelling, it's squire) and epi?

Damn nice looking woodwork, I wish I could do that.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

alanp wrote:Didn't know EVH uses basswood? I thought it was a poor man's body, ala squier (them of the bad spelling, it's squire) and epi?

Damn nice looking woodwork, I wish I could do that.
thanks .... yeah eddie is a BIG fan of basswood. When fender were prototyping the EVH range the builders made a guitar with alder/maple instead of basswood/maple without telling eddie, then they gave it to him to play and apparently with seconds of picking it up eddie said "WTF have you done with this.....and a second late, is this alder?? sounds like shit"

To me basswood his a mahogany vibe to it with a scooped kinda mid range

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

.....and after much sanding, filling of gaps and more sanding it was time to think of how to paint it. now luckily I didn't take photos of the various "looks" I thought I might want because I really couldn't decide what I wanted, mainly because I was "stuck" with the orange bird inlays (didn't want to start sanding fretboards). So I ended up painting it grey...but found it looked cool but was boring as hell with out binding and again I wasn't about to start routing for binding so I zoned out, put some paints around me and just started moving my hands and arms.............and ended up with this

ImageImage
ImageImage

I went for a rough "canvas" look by using a roller on the primer coat, going in lots of directions to get texture...then a little airbrushing and hand painting, then some clearcoats and bam..done
Last edited by willow13 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3928 times

Post by Bg »

Looking good so far :)

Nothing wrong with basswood as a tone wood, its used on lots of high end ibanez too.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

As far as tone goes I couldn't be happier....the maple has done exactly what I was hoping it would do. The guitar is now fat as F#*k (mind you when you add 20mm of maple that will happen) with tons of bite and slightly scooped fizzy mids (its kinda hard to explain really :rofl: )...I went with dimarzio megadrive in the bridge (mainly because when I was looking for a pick up for an all maple guitar I have the megadrive seemed to hit the stop in terms of fattening up a bright guitar while keeping the bite) because I have read it gets close to a "brown" type of tone and a humbucker from hell in the neck. I had the HFH in another guitar and it sounded very single coily for a humbucker...but in this guitar it sounds fat and creamie so I think its safe to say the body wood has made a huge difference.

This will keep my EVH GAS at bay for a little while.....look forward to taking it to a tronfest and comparing it to the wolfies that are usually there

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Yeah basswood has that rep for being a guitar used in cheap guitars but it's used by EVH, EBMM, Tom Anderson, Tyler, Suhr and pretty much every high-end fender-style guitar maker. You can easily spend north of 4k on a basswood guitar.

Next step Willow would be a trem with a proper block. Any strat trem guitar with a pot metal block comes alive if you drop in a proper strat trem. Gotoh's one is great, and Wilkinson do affordable bridges with proper blocks. Of course, you could whip up a block if yer metalworking skills are onto it...
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Hot_Grits wrote:
Next step Willow would be a trem with a proper block. Any strat trem guitar with a pot metal block comes alive if you drop in a proper strat trem. Gotoh's one is great, and Wilkinson do affordable bridges with proper blocks. Of course, you could whip up a block if yer metalworking skills are onto it...
yep thats an option......I am seriously thinking about getting a floyd for it with a big block

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

willow13 wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote:
yep thats an option......I am seriously thinking about getting a floyd for it with a big block
Nothing wrong with that. Though the advantage of the MM headstock is it has such short distances from string to nut, making it easy to keep a non-locking trem in tune.

Perhaps do a Carvin and go Floyd with no locking nut...

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

nice work. you cut the top of the body off with a handsaw? :shock: :clap: (thinking off doing a similar, as in recapping, to my samick warlock. but think i'll router the top down)
Hot_Grits wrote:Perhaps do a Carvin and go Floyd with no locking nut...
:wtf: wouldnt the strings fall off the nut when you divebomb?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Ironbird13 wrote:nice work. you cut the top of the body off with a handsaw? :shock: :clap: (thinking off doing a similar, as in recapping, to my samick warlock. but think i'll router the top down)
Hot_Grits wrote:Perhaps do a Carvin and go Floyd with no locking nut...
:wtf: wouldnt the strings fall off the nut when you divebomb?
Yes, full DOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPGHHHHHH will not be an option.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7796 times
Been liked: 4216 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wow, can't believe you did it with a hand saw, nice work!

Should try something similar with my tele body and chamber it!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Ironbird13 wrote:nice work. you cut the top of the body off with a handsaw? :shock: :clap: (thinking off doing a similar, as in recapping, to my samick warlock. but think i'll router the top down)
yes ... well only part of it because the saw started to go to deep so I ended up plaining most of it off :crybaby:
Hot_Grits wrote: Though the advantage of the MM headstock is it has such short distances from string to nut, making it easy to keep a non-locking trem in tune.

Perhaps do a Carvin and go Floyd with no locking nut...
I actually have one of those floyds that don't have fine tuners, was gonna fit that but the routing was a little to big so it didn't cover all the hole...I could have moved it further away but wasn't totally sure if there was enough adjustment in it to keep intonation ok...might drop it in in the new year

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:Wow, can't believe you did it with a hand saw, nice work!
see below (well above this post) ........ it was easy to saw...basswood is overly hard so it cuts almost like pine