alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Projects in the pipeline thread!

Post by alanp »

I don't get it, where are the car wheels?
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

kdawg2a wrote:In my first post at the very start of this thread I showed a couple of hollow Rimu Telecaster bodies that I had made. Here's the first one almost finished;
phpPtiyrpPM.jpg
I tried doing it sunburst but that turned to shit so it's ended up black! I haven't wired it up yet, hopefully later on today, but as it stands it seems nice and resonant so i'm thinking it will be a pretty nice little guitar. The finish needs a final buffing too and i'm probably going to give it the ol' beat up after a month or so once the nitros nice and hard.
The next body is going to become an absolute killer rock monster so watch this space!
I like that. Something about a black Tele with a maple neck just says 'play me.' A workhorse colour combo, I think. Beauty in simplicity.

I couldn't resist just a tiny bit of photoshop to extend the simplicity further.

FWIW, I like the unpolished finish too.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Oooooooooo I like that! Anyone want to trade a Tele neck pick up for an Esquire pick guard?
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

I've got an Esquire pickguard you can have. 'Tis lightly relic'ed too.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

jvpp wrote:
Let me know if it impacts on the balance/weight distribution.

Finally fitted the strap buttons last weekend and slung it over my shoulder. Feels like a nicely balanced guitar to me. I usually play sitting down anyway 'cause I'm too much of a lanky git for rockstar poses.

Pickups are in the country. Will have them tomorrow with any luck, and a fully functioning guitar on the weekend! 8)

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I bet you can't wait to get the pickups into the guitar!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

kdawg2a wrote:In my first post at the very start of this thread I showed a couple of hollow Rimu Telecaster bodies that I had made. Here's the first one almost finished;
phpPtiyrpPM.jpg
I tried doing it sunburst but that turned to shit so it's ended up black! I haven't wired it up yet, hopefully later on today, but as it stands it seems nice and resonant so i'm thinking it will be a pretty nice little guitar. The finish needs a final buffing too and i'm probably going to give it the ol' beat up after a month or so once the nitros nice and hard.
The next body is going to become an absolute killer rock monster so watch this space!
Nice, v similar to mine :) don't bother giving it a buff, I left mine and it has that lived in look. Nothing like the feel of warm nitro in the morning ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Tasty Tele's there team! Terrifically tittilating.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

twangnsnarl wrote:
jvpp wrote:
Let me know if it impacts on the balance/weight distribution.

Finally fitted the strap buttons last weekend and slung it over my shoulder. Feels like a nicely balanced guitar to me. I usually play sitting down anyway 'cause I'm too much of a lanky git for rockstar poses.

Pickups are in the country. Will have them tomorrow with any luck, and a fully functioning guitar on the weekend! 8)
Hot dang!

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

Yeah, i'm looking forward to seeing that one completed. It's going to be an insanely good looking Tele.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

It's alive! 8) Pickups arrived today. Was meant to be doing uni assignments but that went out the window. Still need to give it a final setup and fiddle with the pickup heights, but it's more than playable as it is and I'm liking the sounds so far. Plenty of grunt on tap from the Special Ts. They definitely have a more pronounced midrange but my initial impression is that they're pretty balanced overall. I can see why Conway wasn't fan of these pickups. They wouldn't be my first suggestion for a traditional Tele sound, that much is clear from the roughly 90mins I used them today. They don't feel 'lazy' like your usual '50s type pickup. They've definitely got a Tele vibe though, but hotter. Somewhere between Tele pickup and P90. Pretty much exactly what I was after for this guitar. :thumbup:

Will take some finished pics over the weekend if the weather's good.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

My Bigsby arrived today for hollow Rimu Tele number 2 so I took some mock up picks. Here it is with the potential neck on it;
phpvmvGonPM.jpg
The neck is an original Jansen Invader neck from very early on in production. As far as I know only the first 2 years of invaders had Kluson tuners, this ones drilled out for them (and still had the original Kluson ferrules when I got it) so it's probably a 64 or 65. Unfortunately it's got a bit of a bow. I've had it clamped for a while trying to re-create the string tension but once released it returns back still slightly bowed. My big risk with this project is do I use the neck and hope the string tension works itself out or do I get another neck? The biggest problem is the Jansens have a weird scale length (not Fender, not Gibson, not anything I know of!) so if I set it up for the Jansen neck then if it doesn't work, all the positioning of the other bits will be wrong and then require some massive work to return to correct.
phpEYQqIqPM.jpg
Here's a body close up with the B50 set up
phpeX4YDfPM.jpg
And here's the body with the Bigsby but with a normal Tele bridge (thanks Handlefras!)
I'll probably look at getting another neck as it stands and she'll be getting humbuckers front and back to help make it the monster that it is!
Probably time to start a new thread for this but I started this one so i'll do what I want!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Looks sick! I'd be tempted to get another neck for it personally!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

jeremyb wrote:Looks sick! I'd be tempted to get another neck for it personally!
Yeah, I think you're probably right. I want to do it with a matching headstock too so it would be a shame to cover up the old Jansen logo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

kdawg2a wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Looks sick! I'd be tempted to get another neck for it personally!
Yeah, I think you're probably right. I want to do it with a matching headstock too so it would be a shame to cover up the old Jansen logo.
You could get a custom waterslide logo done? :mental:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.