kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Projects in the pipeline thread!

Post by kdawg2a »

As mentioned on the thread about Laurences awesome number 13 build. I figure if you put pictures of your projects up it will help with the motivation to finish them off and may even help with info needed for the build or cool new ideas from other members.
Prior to Easter I had a pretty slow week at work so I decided to use up some timber i've had stored at home for a while.
phpkCBS7RPM.jpg
I've used Rimu for both bodies. They're semi hollow with a centre block running down the middle and both have 5mm thick Cherrywood backs on them.
phpV6R8L2PM.jpg
This one will be finished as a traditional looking Tele. The Rimu is 2 piece. I'm still trying to decide whether to put binding on it or not but it's finish will be my first attempt at a sunburst!
php1anHp9PM.jpg
This one is (avert your eyes multiple piece body snobs!) 5 pieces of Rimu from a demolished Chch earthquake house. Due to some filler required on a damaged bit on the side this one will be painted in a solid colour. I'm thinking along the lines of a Tele jr, P90, wrap around bridge, small pickguard etc.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Re: Projects in the pipeline thread!

Post by kdawg2a »

phpoe1N69PM.jpg
Or maybe with a humbucker!

Lets see what you guys have going on. Posting here may help you get the job done faster or help sorce parts you may need. Speaking of which, I need a cheap rosewood Tele neck. Anyone got one?
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I've got a couple of projects in the pipeline at the moment, I'm still waiting to get a few parts (bodies) but have the necks right now.

First is a definite go as it's the birthday present for my daughter, we're building a hardtail superstrat with one of Adrian's zombie bodies. Quilted maple cap, will have a green stain finish and Tru-oil, Maple neck and fingerboard. Trying to find inspiration and availability for an appropriate set of all round HSS pickups for it, have some stop gap pickups I think but in the market for something appropriate for an all round sound.

Second is more speculative at the moment, have a Korina strat body lined up, maple neck, and thinking of going with somethinbg along the lines of an Adrian Smith type Jackson. Thinking of a down only Floyd, tempted by a D-Tuna thingy. Might repurpose the super distortion I have in the RRV for the bridge and get the right set of single coils for the SS part. This is 2nd half of year project as need tio keep eye open for affordable/suitable parts and consider body options - like the idea of nitro painting the body somehow.

I'll post some photo's when I have more parts to hand, especially the bodies...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

yeah managed to score a day off in lieu of good friday where I worked 12 hours. Had to ask for the fucker though, and no shit show of my legally obliged time and a half pay showing up. Thats actually ok, as its another fuck up for the file. Anyway, pushing the bitterness to the side :lol:

Project 1
I'll take a pic of the parker-a-like tomorrow. I'm tempted to leave the body as it is, and put together. I was putting it off as my handheld router was buggered, but I bought a new one last month so no excuses to finish the routing. I should do a trial run anyway, I can live with it as it is, its industrial.

Project 2 is the hubcap-caster, much to do. I have hubcaps and the neck. undecided on using a standard strat neck or the sharkfin/pointy I have earmarked :LOL:

Project 3 is the Tweed head cab to house the 36 watt marshall 'bombardier' . Wood and tweed is there, now the router is back I can get on with the cab, corners have to be dovetailed ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

1 Finish SG

2 Finish SG

3 Finish SG
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

1 sell it to me...

2 give it to me...

3 sexual favours in payment for it ...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I've got a long-term project on the go based around an Allparts mahogany neck with paddle headstock I scored of my bro-in-law after he cocked up the headstock (I grabbed a new one and did it properly for him) and body I grabbed off Adrian (which is a retired original shape not dissimilar to an offset tele). I need to repair the headstock before I go any further and that has been putting me off (the shape he was going for is really fugly- long and skinny and the tuner holes all need dowelling) but it'll eventually get P-90s or Filtertrons (or maybe just one pickup) and a wraparound bridge. It's an ultra long term project though.

It's inspired by this:

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

benderissimo wrote:I've got a long-term project on the go based around an Allparts mahogany neck with paddle headstock I scored of my bro-in-law after he cocked up the headstock (I grabbed a new one and did it properly for him) and body I grabbed off Adrian (which is a retired original shape not dissimilar to an offset tele). I need to repair the headstock before I go any further and that has been putting me off (the shape he was going for is really fugly- long and skinny and the tuner holes all need dowelling) but it'll eventually get P-90s or Filtertrons (or maybe just one pickup) and a wraparound bridge. It's an ultra long term project though.

It's inspired by this:
I think that looks freakn awesome man. Go for it.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I've been wanting to for about 4 years now but I'm pretty time starved.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

benderissimo wrote:
It's inspired by this:
this may surprise but damn I really really like that :wtf:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ok, went down to the workshop and dug out the first of my projects laid in the limbo pile...

At the time I really would have liked a midi equipped parker, but damn those things are shockingly expensive :D Anyway priorities change, and I wasn't using my midi guitar gear as much coupled with my hand router going tits up so it got put on the back burner.

Anyway, have a new router, pristine and still in its box. So I need to finish this one off as it really will be awesome for midi.

So the specs:
Parker P38 neck - bought the whole guitar on trademe, was shocked by the thickness of the poly on the thing and it was missing the piezo stuff and electronics and had some cheap shit pickups in it. Appaling of the seller not to mention any of this and stupidly I didn't red face him. I did buy it as a project though, but I did want the electronics. Oh well. The body became the outline template, they have none of the geiger like carving that the real ones have.

Korina body, famed mythical tonewood! Should be awesome for those properties alone but when combined with...

EMG pickups - oh yeah I know some people hate them but perfect for this project, especially as it will have a huge control cavity for the midi stuff anyway.

Roland midi pickup - hexaphonic midi pickup, will supply midi signals to one of my 3 midi boxes through the big thick 13 core cable lol

Ibanez floyd rose - for the whammy action :) seriously, midi and whammy is just too much fun :D

Work left to do:
Its ready for its final sanding and paint job. Unfortunately I used all my nitro on the last two projects, so I need some more. Probably red.
Routing - the control cavity is pretty bloody rough, this is where my old hand router died. So it needs a good tidy up, even if covered by plastic, I'll know its there!
12 pin pickup hole in the side to rout out
Wiring and setup.

Must get off my arse and finish this! Here are some pics...
P1000876.jpg[/attachment [attachment=0]P1000881.jpg
P1000880.jpg
P1000878.jpg
Attachments
P1000881.jpg
P1000876.jpg

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

BG wrote:yeah managed to score a day off in lieu of good friday where I worked 12 hours. Had to ask for the fucker though, and no shit show of my legally obliged time and a half pay showing up. Thats actually ok, as its another fuck up for the file. Anyway, pushing the bitterness to the side :lol:

Did they ask you to work or was it voluntary? apparently if its voluntary they only have to give you the day in lieu... altho' it sounds like you might be more likely to get a day "in the loo"
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Projects in the pipeline thread!

Post by Eruera »

I have to give T1.5 to all the PTC staff even though every day is voluntary for em, I think it's the law but it might just be company policy

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Cleaned up my workshop, so can now start on number three.
Timbers:
Totara for body (old fence post)
Rata for neck (courtesy Elams1984)
Kohekohe for fingerboard (courtesy Elams1984)

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

jvpp wrote:Cleaned up my workshop, so can now start on number three.
Timbers:
Totara for body (old fence post)
Rata for neck (courtesy Elams1984)
Kohekohe for fingerboard (courtesy Elams1984)

WOW! That's what you call....... Starting from scratch!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.