custom pickup wiring on standard strat 5way sw?

Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dylan
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

custom pickup wiring on standard strat 5way sw?

Post by dylan »

With two p90's in neck and middle, and a 4 wire humbucker in bridge, is it possible to get the bridge / middle quack position to use just one coil of the humbucker with a normal 5 way strat switch?

And if so how :?:

**edit i might just put a coiltap on the humbucker.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: custom pickup wiring on standard strat 5way sw?

Post by AiRdAd »

If you do it via coil tap you could use a push/pull knob?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: custom pickup wiring on standard strat 5way sw?

Post by dylan »

yes thats probably going to be the answer.

**edit - for some reason on this guitar bridge / middle is hum cancelling, but neck / middle is not. seems most likely reason is the pickups have been swapped over and the reverse wound one is not in the middle? - selector switch is also doing odd pickup choices so this makes sense.

or it could be intentional - ive read reviews that mentioned that only one position was hum cancelling. im replacing it with a standard 5 way.

so far my favorite position is bridge / middle, and if replace the bridge pickup with a ceramic shredder it will bollux that position, even with the bridge tapped. imo half a humbucker is a pleasant plinky sound, but nothing like a real single coil pickup.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil: