Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Re: Humbuckers and Body Shapes

Post by Danger Mouse »

Slowy wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:Flame maple, burst, low-gain at the subtle rotation of a volume knob...what more could you want?

Fat, old, grey haired fart slinging that.... there's enough humiliation in my life already. :lol:
I really like Explorers, but even the people who love me agree I look ridiculous wearing one.
Ha that is a good point... there's a fine line between growing old disgracefully and just looking like a fecking idiot :lol:
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Vince wrote:
Slowy wrote:Fat, old, grey haired fart slinging that.... there's enough humiliation in my life already. :lol:
I really like Explorers, but even the people who love me agree I look ridiculous wearing one.
Didn't bother this guy... :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8j3NUzPBw4[/youtube]
Black guys are born with bonus cool points.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1011 times

Post by bender »

jimi wrote:Also with the JM/Jag I don't like the trem (personal preference) but the guitar just looks wrong without it..
Wash your mouth out! They're a glorious thing!

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

One of these shapes made out of Korina would be pretty ace:

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Is that the middle-age-spreadcaster model, is it? ;) seriously, I don't like them, they're too bulbous.

Then again, this thread is not about me.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 844 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

bender wrote:
jimi wrote:Also with the JM/Jag I don't like the trem (personal preference) but the guitar just looks wrong without it..
Actually there is one thing I like about the JM trem that many other trems don't have - you can lock it (and remove the arm and throw it away).

The only thing Trems seem to do on my guitars is make them go out of tune.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I can't help but think how good a telecaster is a a platform for this kind of thing. They seem to lend themselves well to pick up mods and wood choices and they are very easy to work with. You already like the scale length and they're very easy to build.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote:I can't help but think how good a telecaster is a a platform for this kind of thing. They seem to lend themselves well to pick up mods and wood choices and they are very easy to work with. You already like the scale length and they're very easy to build.
True that. I think the Jazzmaster thing has to do with having Strats and Teles and wanting the whole set
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Vince wrote:Is that the middle-age-spreadcaster model, is it? ;) seriously, I don't like them, they're too bulbous.

Middleage Spreadcaster.

I love it! Can I have that? Pleeeease? :angel:

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Vince wrote:Is that the middle-age-spreadcaster model, is it? ;) seriously, I don't like them, they're too bulbous.

If you saw that top one in the flesh, you wouldn't think that. They're tiny.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

I wish you'd stop posting Reverends Ben, it keeps reminding me how much I want this that is on special at RS..
Attachments
1390453875whIII_390_VBST_main.jpg

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

jimi wrote:
bender wrote:
Actually there is one thing I like about the JM trem that many other trems don't have - you can lock it (and remove the arm and throw it away).

The only thing Trems seem to do on my guitars is make them go out of tune.
The JM/jag trem properly set up is seldom the cause of tuning issues. More often it is the nut. Or the nut playing it.
One of Leo's finest inventions that trem.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

HackSaw wrote:I wish you'd stop posting Reverends Ben, it keeps reminding me how much I want this that is on special at RS..
I'm becoming increasingly fond of this one:

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

twangnsnarl wrote:
HackSaw wrote:I wish you'd stop posting Reverends Ben, it keeps reminding me how much I want this that is on special at RS..
I'm becoming increasingly fond of this one:
Oh Lordy. That is nice.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Going back to the OP's question.

EVERYTHING makes a difference to a guitar's tone and/or tactility. Size, shape, body wood type, body thickness, tuners, bridge, neck size, neck wood, fretboard wood, fret material, nut material, setup, pickups.......everything.

By far the biggest tonal factor is the pickups. After that you are looking at varying degrees of subtle differences for all of the above factors. I would put body size/thickness and body wood type as being some of the more major factors in that list, but we're still not talking a tone change as much as changing pickups. This is where we start talking more about the playing tactility - which will be significantly altered by body size/shape/wood type.

That's why getting a custom guitar built (or buying a guitar without playing it first) can be a bit of a crap shoot unless you know what you're talking about or exactly what you like.

The good news is that there are no rules of what is "better" or "worse". Only what you like. That gives you a great reason to go down to a music store and play a bunch of guitars so you can figure out what works for YOU.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox