Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Making a new nut for a Gretsch 6120DSW

Post by Jay »

The Gretsch 6120 DSW comes with a standard brass nut. Sadly enough the nut on this guitar was 'buggered'. Some DIY selver must have a had a go at with a chainsaw or so judging by the look of the string slots. The effect was that the guitar just did not stay in tune.

Starting with a Pack and Save bit of cow bone, properly 'defatted', I cut out a rough shape that is slightly bigger than the original brass nut.

Second cut with the hacksaw

Now I have a rough blank...

Sanding it down to the right thickness so it fits 'tightly' in the existing nut space...

Filing and sanding it into final shape. Putting a pencil marker on it which follows the curve of the fretboard. This will tell me how much I need to sand off the nut bottom to achieve the action I want.

Cutting the string slots. I don't have a sophisticated set of Stewmac files. I use my own secret weapons :lol:

And here a nice new bone nut with my preferred string spacing and action. No more tuning issues. Happy as Larry.

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Making a new nut for a Gretsch 6120DSW

Post by GrantB »

Nice work!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Nice!

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Aw man and here I was feeling proud of myself for soldering up a patch cable instead of buying one.
I use my own secret weapons
Go on, tell us.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

jvpp wrote:And here a nice new bone nut with my preferred string spacing and action. No more tuning issues. Happy as Larry.

Would you be happier if the strings were sitting a bit prouder instead of so deep in the slots?

When I went from playing pointy locking nut guitars to a les paul I was a bit weirded out at first that the string is just kind of resting on top of the slot, but now I can see the logic that it means there's no real opportunity for the string to bind in the slot.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

JHorner wrote:
jvpp wrote:And here a nice new bone nut with my preferred string spacing and action. No more tuning issues. Happy as Larry.

Would you be happier if the strings were sitting a bit prouder instead of so deep in the slots?

When I went from playing pointy locking nut guitars to a les paul I was a bit weirded out at first that the string is just kind of resting on top of the slot, but now I can see the logic that it means there's no real opportunity for the string to bind in the slot.
It is hard to see from that photo. I cut the slots progressively deeper for diminishing string thickness. The E is half 'in' and the e and b are the 'deepest' but still close to the top. That way they won't pop out during bends. But you observed this very well as I took a shortcut to set the nut action by deepening the slot. I still have to sand a bit of the top but haven't got to it yet.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

nice work :) stewmac sell a load of unneeded tools ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I forgot you question mr Horner...
Postby JHorner » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:55 pm
Aw man and here I was feeling proud of myself for soldering up a patch cable instead of buying one.

I use my own secret weapons
Go on, tell us.
As I said not very sophisticated, but it works really well...so start thinking about serrated knifes...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Somewhere I have a video of dan erlewhine with a popsicle stick and a guitar string glued to it.... Which is a great idea until you get to the unwound strings.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by JHorner »

The only trick i know with a popsicle stick is that if you dip it soapy water you can use it to get a perfect finish on your silicon bead. Yes it is better than using your finger.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Well done. The nut on one of my guitars had the strings too low in places. It could probably do with a new nut. I was planning on putting some shims underneath to make it higher. Looking at your work, I feel guilty doing that now!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

AiRdAd wrote:Well done. The nut on one of my guitars had the strings too low in places. It could probably do with a new nut. I was planning on putting some shims underneath to make it higher. Looking at your work, I feel guilty doing that now!!!
Don't feel guilty, I do that too when I cannot be bothered to cut a whole new nut :D . Look at the fourth photo. See that thin bit of bone? I always keep those for a 'quick one'! Supergluing bone is sooo easy. I'll dig a pic up of one I recently did.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

AiRdAd wrote:Well done. The nut on one of my guitars had the strings too low in places. It could probably do with a new nut. I was planning on putting some shims underneath to make it higher. Looking at your work, I feel guilty doing that now!!!
Don't feel guilty, look at that shim :oops:

Probably looks worse cause this phot is huge...