Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: 1967 fender Coronado refret

Post by GrantB »

Rob, good progress here with heat and clamps. Getting closer each time. Should be fine!

Yours weren't ebony boards by chance?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

GrantB wrote:Rob, good progress here with heat and clamps. Getting closer each time. Should be fine!

Yours weren't ebony boards by chance?
Both were Rosewood.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:
Check the neck for drop off at the first fret end...a somewhat typical Fender characteristic.
SO presumably that happens some years after leaving the factory.... what do you think it is caused by?

Neck to thin in that area?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

jvpp wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Check the neck for drop off at the first fret end...a somewhat typical Fender characteristic.
SO presumably that happens some years after leaving the factory.... what do you think it is caused by?

Neck to thin in that area?
Wasn't aware of this. Also interested in the cause and cure.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

In my experience, over tightened truss rod for most of a guitars life, or simply maple that wants to move that way...which has a bit to do with the cut of the grain etc.

It can be fixed but it's a right biatch. Sometimes removing wood is the only option.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

GrantB wrote:In my experience, over tightened truss rod for most of a guitars life, or simply maple that wants to move that way...which has a bit to do with the cut of the grain etc.

It can be fixed but it's a right biatch. Sometimes removing wood is the only option.
Agreed with all of the above, unfortunately mine were both in the wood removing category. If I could have clamped with heat I would have.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Oh, and a poor fret job can contribute too. Tang vs slot mismatch.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

robnobcorncob wrote:
GrantB wrote:In my experience, over tightened truss rod for most of a guitars life, or simply maple that wants to move that way...which has a bit to do with the cut of the grain etc.

Agreed with all of the above, unfortunately mine were both in the wood removing category. If I could have clamped with heat I would have.
Wood has this amazing memory effect too. You think you have it fixed, only for the back bow to appear 6 months later. When clamping.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I love my new home modified $7 fret clippers and bunnings fret hammer :)
take that stew Mac!!!!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:

Wood has this amazing memory effect too. You think you have it fixed, only for the back bow to appear 6 months later. When clamping.
First US Strat I ever bought was a CBS maple neck jobbie. The seller had left it for about six months with no strings. I had it put in a jig for a couple of weeks in the hope it'd come right but it wouldn't.... :-( I was gutted. Was so proud of my 'real' Strat. In the end I put massive strings and high action on it and traded it at a Liverpool guitar store for an Ibanez Destroyer! :headslap: