yeah ok, its a build thread and worse than that its for a tele...

Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Re: yeah ok, its a build thread and worse than that its for a tele...

Post by HackSaw »

Bg wrote:Jvpp, quick question... What did you do about relief?
man... it's getting personal in here...

Good that you guys are so close though!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

AiRdAd wrote:
I did a huge post this morning about this - but can't have sent it. When Adrian did my one, he said you leave fret leveling etc to last, and then set the relief with the fret levels. Depending on the resistance of the Kwila, you might have pick one string gauge and stick with that.
Makes sense. I pretty much stick with 10s anyway.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ok, lunch hour spent with the old trusty black & decker jigsaw.

Don't worry thats not blood, was just trying a couple of different finish options :D Was going to weigh it but it turns out my kitchen scale batteries have gone, I bet the missus borrowed them again...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I played that guitar with the kwila neck. He had a few more of them too in his pile of bits. It was awesome honestly, it rang like a motherfucker but kwila is absurdly strong and dense so no real surprise. It's massively open-grained though so you might like to think about filling it. I don't care myself (I have a 5 piece neck of mahogany/purpleheart/kwila) but FYI.

I've got a vitex neck here too which was an absolute revelation. That stuff is fantastic, cheap, sustainable, beautiful to look at and works really well.

Here's a flamed vitex fingerboard on one of my gats. It's well worth your consideration as a tonewood.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Danny already answered this one... but...

I made sure the neck and fretboard were deadstraight before inserting the frets. I also made sure that the fret tang width was only fractional smaller than the saw cuts so setting the frets would not back bend the neck (in a cumulative fashion).

Then I strung with 10's and tried it out. I found that by adjusting the saddles I could get the action such that it was not buzzing and still have lowish action at 12th fret. As I had (hand) pressed the frets in, there was no damage to the fret crowns and I did not even had to level them, etc. First time lucky effect or so. :D

Blimmin nice piece of timber there!
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

NippleWrestler wrote:I played that guitar with the kwila neck. He had a few more of them too in his pile of bits. It was awesome honestly, it rang like a motherfucker but kwila is absurdly strong and dense so no real surprise. It's massively open-grained though so you might like to think about filling it. I don't care myself (I have a 5 piece neck of mahogany/purpleheart/kwila) but FYI.

I've got a vitex neck here too which was an absolute revelation. That stuff is fantastic, cheap, sustainable, beautiful to look at and works really well.

Here's a flamed vitex fingerboard on one of my gats. It's well worth your consideration as a tonewood.

damn that is hot! as for grain, I'm quite happy to leave any oiled timber open. I think if you're going to plonk 5mm of poly on it or a good coat of nitro, yeah but otherwise you're covering the toan. Fenders used to be grainfilled with poly then sprayed with nitro, how's them apples? ok they called it fullerplast ;)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:

Danny already answered this one... but...

I made sure the neck and fretboard were deadstraight before inserting the frets. I also made sure that the fret tang width was only fractional smaller than the saw cuts so setting the frets would not back bend the neck (in a cumulative fashion).

Then I strung with 10's and tried it out. I found that by adjusting the saddles I could get the action such that it was not buzzing and still have lowish action at 12th fret. As I had (hand) pressed the frets in, there was no damage to the fret crowns and I did not even had to level them, etc. First time lucky effect or so. :D

Blimmin nice piece of timber there!
cheers dude. I think it'll pop out nicely once its oiled. Maybe I should use a soft face mallet on my frets this time, instead of a 10lb club hammer :D

I also apologise unreservedly about previous comments I made about the use of superglue on frets. I refretted a neck recently and they just kept popping, so yeah- I popped out the CA and gave them a liberal coating. How the mighty fall.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I've gone a bit further, but tbh, its friday and theres red wine, and red wine mixed with routers is not good.
My usual method is to not bother with a template. just get somewhere close to the line with the sander in the drill press, and rasp. The top usually has the pencilled pattern on it. So as long as I don't sand/rasp at an angle, I'll get close.

As an apprentice, the importance of filing level was bashed into me. Usually my rasping and sanding is close enough. I'll do a final pass on the router bench just to check and even up.

I don't want to make a template for a couple of reasons, I suffer an allergic reaction from mdf. I hate making templates. This is likely to be my only ever tele build. ever. The last template I made for a strat absorbed moisture in my workshop and is now worthless.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:How heavy is heavy? My '93 Tele US Standard is my lightest guitar at just 6.75lbs so I figure a heavy Tele might push 8 lbs?

Wouldn't want you to go to all this trouble then never play the guitar because it's a dead weight.
just weighed my strat and it is 10.36 pounds :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Bg wrote:I've gone a bit further, but tbh, its friday and theres red wine, and red wine mixed with routers is not good.
My usual method is to not bother with a template. just get somewhere close to the line with the sander in the drill press, and rasp. The top usually has the pencilled pattern on it. So as long as I don't sand/rasp at an angle, I'll get close.

As an apprentice, the importance of filing level was bashed into me. Usually my rasping and sanding is close enough. I'll do a final pass on the router bench just to check and even up.

I don't want to make a template for a couple of reasons, I suffer an allergic reaction from mdf. I hate making templates. This is likely to be my only ever tele build. ever. The last template I made for a strat absorbed moisture in my workshop and is now worthless.
You can borrow my neck template if you want, and also the body one, but that appears to be too late?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yep I'm almost at the line :) thanks for the offer though. I'll do templates for the cutouts, but can anyone ever agree on the thickness of a tele let alone the actual shape? If it hits ballpark and looks like a tele, then it is one :D

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Inspiration

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

telefiend wrote:Inspiration

:sick:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

angle of the photo might have made the bottom of the tele bigger than what it is? looks like a great piece of wood!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah,its got a normal arse! I took it in direct sunlight on my phone, so I had to guess what it looked like :) Started to shape to proper size but then started on red wines and routers and them don't mix lol.... so I chilled out after that