yeah ok, its a build thread and worse than that its for a tele...

Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

yeah ok, its a build thread and worse than that its for a tele...

Post by Bg »

yeah, I know. But I do quite like tele's really. Its just that piercing bridge tone some people use.

So I crossed the remmers border and made it through no-mans land safely to Papakura, where Adrian (Ash) has set up home. He does have a large expanse of workshop, however he's still not building at the moment sadly. Huge stocks of timber, but bearing in mind that if its not near the top of the pile then he's not really willing to go looking through it all.

I talked to him a couple of months ago, and asked him what he had close to the top of the pile with a bit of figuring. Turns out there was a blank big enough for a tele - actually big enough for a flying vee as well haha.
Nice 2 piece bit of blackwood. Damn its heavy but nicely resonant. I'm not going to paint this one or put a pickguard on it. I'm just going to pop the grain out with some boiled linseed oil and probably finish with tru-oil. Not fully decided yet on that.

I have a neck that would do the job but talking with Adrian decided me on a single piece kwilla neck, he had a blank funnily enough :D He suggested I brave the truss rod less build, especially as I'm going for a chunky feel on this neck. I'll probably just finish with a couple of coats of linseed as well, kwilla needs no finish.

So I now have the requisite materials, and I got some JUMBO fretwire from him too.

I'm hoping to have a lovely feeling, resonant, custom shop comparable Tele at the end of the project.
Cost so far 1 hand shandy and 20 bucks. I have pretty much all other parts here anyway in my parts bins.

So, wondering what to do with the neck pickup? Was thinking standard tele neck pup as I love the tone - but I don't want a pickguard so I guess the choices are just the route or making a pickup ring thing, possibly from kwilla off cut or from polished aluminium. Anyone got any other ideas?

To be continued....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Re: yeah ok, its a build thread and worse than that its for a tele...

Post by SimpleSi »

blackwood is REALLY heavy yeah.

Amazing tonewood though.
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I have some blackwood left to do a build as well. Yeah the stuff is heavy as hell but man does it sound fat. My orange SS is almost les paul ish in tone
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah, combined with a kwilla neck, this is going to be a ships anchor...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

SimpleSi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by SimpleSi »

Bg wrote:yeah, combined with a kwilla neck, this is going to be a ships anchor...
if it's fairly fresh Kwilla it will bleed.

Decking Kwilla always bleeds.
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I think this is pretty well seasoned, no finish required :) I'll probably oil it anyway.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

heres a pic of the strat adrian did, with no truss rod and kwilla neck...

I think I'll be needing fret markers though....

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I have some noiseless seymour duncans going in, so relatively normal without the noise.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Bg wrote:
He suggested I brave the truss rod less build, especially as I'm going for a chunky feel on this neck. I'll probably just finish with a couple of coats of linseed as well, kwila needs no finish.

So, wondering what to do with the neck pickup? Was thinking standard tele neck pup as I love the tone - but I don't want a pickguard so I guess the choices are just the route or making a pickup ring thing, possibly from kwila off cut or from polished aluminium. Anyone got any other ideas?
Second the 'rod less' approach. No issues.

Re 'other ideas' - You could try my hybrid approach for mounting the neck pickup. It is countersunk and works a treat. Pics in this thread.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah thats an option indeed :)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

How heavy is heavy? My '93 Tele US Standard is my lightest guitar at just 6.75lbs so I figure a heavy Tele might push 8 lbs?

Wouldn't want you to go to all this trouble then never play the guitar because it's a dead weight.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Whats that in new money?

meh, I've done 6 hour gigs playing bass... weight is nothing ;)

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Molly wrote:How heavy is heavy? My '93 Tele US Standard is my lightest guitar at just 6.75lbs so I figure a heavy Tele might push 8 lbs?

Wouldn't want you to go to all this trouble then never play the guitar because it's a dead weight.
Quite few ES335's are over 8 lbs, especially with bigsby. You would not call them dead weight, would you?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Molly wrote:How heavy is heavy? My '93 Tele US Standard is my lightest guitar at just 6.75lbs so I figure a heavy Tele might push 8 lbs?

:crazy:
:wtf:
Your playing it, not trying to see how far you can throw it.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Cavalier lion or lioness. Great neck pickup.