Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Show us your workshop

Post by Jay »

Major achievement - I can now see my workbench again :D so guitar building can start once more.

Some of you have seen the mess that it was and probably quietly thought it was impossible to clean this up.

It is not super tidy yet, but at least I can now also see the floor and know where my tools are...

The templates will ultimately be hanging on the wall next to the drawings.

So if you have a workshop, do you keep it clean and tidy?

Here a 360 of where it all happens.

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Show us your workshop

Post by bender »

Looking great!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Nice work!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Cool! Makes me want a workshop (despite having no knack for woodwork)

corsair
Gibson
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by corsair »

Why, yes; yes I do keep it tidy....ish! I confess that most of my heavy gear got left behind in NZ when we moved - table saws and routers, thicknessers and lathes but I have a small but perfectly formed corner of the shed here to tinker. And that's pretty much all I do these days; I tinker. I've got any builds I wanted to do done years ago and even now don't follow the online auctions looking for munted guitars to rebuild - I'm done, in that respect.

...looking into the shed at my corner from the roller door.

... the desk and worktop

... behind the workbench. Light engineering tools in the toolboxes, 30W valve amp for testing and all kinds of other bits and bobs!

All of the desk drawers are set up with the immediate use stuff; multimeter, Xacto knives, digital calipers, tweezers, small sidecutters, stringwinders etc.

and on the far opposite wall, in the coolest part of the shed - important here in the summer!! - are about 20 guitars in cases. *sigh*

... against the wall beside the left hand roller door, looking out are the PAs, synth, lap steel and road cases full of gear. Once again ...*sigh*

Workbench is an old set of kitchen cupboards with a 3 inch slab of ply atop; the old cupboards are great for storing stuff so that it doesn't get all dusty and shitty. The open one beside the desk has my guitar fettling toolbox on the top shelf and the electronics soldering gear in a similar box on the bottom shelf.

Over the years I've found this this works for me, and am more than happy with the layout. That bench has seen guitars, amps, lawnmowers, rifles, and chainsaws in bits on it's surface - it's nice being able to work on both sides of the thing, I have to say!
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

corsair wrote:Why, yes; yes I do keep it tidy....ish! I confess that most of my heavy gear got left behind in NZ when we moved - table saws and routers, thicknessers and lathes but I have a small but perfectly formed corner of the shed here to tinker. And that's pretty much all I do these days; I tinker. I've got any builds I wanted to do done years ago and even now don't follow the online auctions looking for munted guitars to rebuild - I'm done, in that respect.

Workbench is an old set of kitchen cupboards with a 3 inch slab of ply atop; the old cupboards are great for storing stuff so that it doesn't get all dusty and shitty. The open one beside the desk has my guitar fettling toolbox on the top shelf and the electronics soldering gear in a similar box on the bottom shelf.

Over the years I've found this this works for me, and am more than happy with the layout. That bench has seen guitars, amps, lawnmowers, rifles, and chainsaws in bits on it's surface - it's nice being able to work on both sides of the thing, I have to say!

Holy crap, that is a lot of gear there. So you never open any guitar case at all?

I like the way you put some tools on the cabinet doors.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Successfully exploited the '15% cheaper than Bunnings' thing at Mitre 10 and scored these for the workshop.

Got a cab project in mind and an internal door to move. A bloke can never have enough tools!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yeah got one of those bosch routers a year or so back, bloody good value :) A bit hefty for a 1/4" but plenty of grunt.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I have the same one too, works great!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Definitely heftier than I was expecting. Putting that middle pickup in the Tele so that's its first job. :thumbup:

Next I'm planning a routing table so I can look at adding binding.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I have a Bosch dishwasher and its shit at routing

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:Successfully exploited the '15% cheaper than Bunnings' thing at Mitre 10 and scored these for the workshop.

Got a cab project in mind and an internal door to move. A bloke can never have enough tools!
those multi tools are fucking great..probably the best tool I own
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

willow13 wrote:
This is my second one. The first one lasted about nine years through several reno projects and all sorts of abuse. In the end it was so noisy I had to get shut. Suspect I just wore the feckin' thing out.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

willow13 wrote:
But they're as bad as buying a printer; you sure get reamed on replacement blades.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:Definitely heftier than I was expecting. Putting that middle pickup in the Tele so that's its first job. :thumbup:

Next I'm planning a routing table so I can look at adding binding.
I've made my router tables in the past. But I have to say https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ozito-router ... _p00246394 I got one of these a few weeks ago, and its surprisingly good. for a couple of hand shandy, its excellent.

My half inch router lives there, thats another bargain - the ryobi half inch router - keep your receipt, 24 months guarantee, invariably craps out within a year or so, its a perpetual new router.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.