Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Lostininverness
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Supro/Airline Res-O-Glass Belmont Build

Post by Lostininverness »

Looking good there, stick with it - can't be any harder than a neck reset on an old harmony!

You can find a suitable wiring diagram with google - like this one maybe....

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/produc ... ne000.html

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yep looking good mate :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1298 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

It's looking great mate. Pretty hard to get anything done in the DIY world without spending a little time a 21 Struggle Street.
And that trapeze looks the business !

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Thanks guys. Yeah the art of guitar building - knowing how to hide your mistakes :lol:

I carried on and shortened the bridge base and sanded it flat and bingo OK action. Doesn't look like I will need to shim the neck. Tonight installing the bridge pup and electronics.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

A little more progress, cutting the slot for the bridge pickup pole pieces and wire took a little time but have it mounted. Hopefully will get the selector switch soldered tonight.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

Got the harness in, will try doing the pickup and switch soldering tomorrow. I bought some black witchat knobs but they don't seem to fit the splines. Popped on some cupcakes I had lying around. I think I will buy some smaller black knobs like Rickenbacker ones.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

Yeah they are not too bad, but I am looking to do a Supro Dual Tone look and they had small plain black knobs in this split controls on top look. I have a pickguard marked out in that style.

Wired up the switch and went to wire in the pickups and damn my soldering iron died :grump: Off to buy a new one tomorrow.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

Had a bit of a nightmare on the weekend, soldering iron burnt out so went and bought another. Spent 2 1/2 hours trying to solder one of the pots last night, couldn't get it to take at all solder kept balling up and not sticking.

Bought too hot a soldering iron(100 watt) so off to Mitre 10 and a 40 watt iron, 10 minutes tonight and done. Probably fried the pot but won't know until later this week when I can plug it in. I also don't know if the way I wired it will work :?

Did manage to cut a bone nut, the plastic one that came with the neck was crap.

So up to the button up and then install strap buttons. Won't be closing up with the seam seal until I am sure everything works.

ETA: Plugged in and feck me I have sound. All positions work although in the middle position turning either of the volumes off mutes. Might have to get it to someone with more knowledge than me, at least the neck vol pot wasn't fried by my rank amateur soldering.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

k1w1 wrote: ETA: Plugged in and feck me I have sound. All positions work although in the middle position turning either of the volumes off mutes. Might have to get it to someone with more knowledge than me, at least the neck vol pot wasn't fried by my rank amateur soldering.
Good work 'kiwi'. The muting is entirely as expected if you have the pickups wired in parallel. When two pots are acting in parallel (middle switch position), then the resulting DC resistance is calculated as (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2). So when either R1 or R2 is zero you are short circuiting the coils as the nominator becomes zero.

You can stop this from happening by putting a low value resister in series with each pot so the nominator never can get to zero. For a 500KOhm pot you could try a 10KOhm resistor.

The easy fix is to never fully turn down the volume to zero.

I note from your photos that you don't have a bleed capacitor/resistor circuit installed. Try it before you close it all up as it easy and you will like the result.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

I have no idea on electronics and my soldering skills are basic to non existent, I just followed a Seymour Duncan wiring diagram.

This thing turned out so good build wise I am looking to get someone to wire it up correctly, looks like Sol in Palmy Music Planet will be a good choice. I'll talk to him on the bleed circuit for sure.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Nice one man, interested to hear what you think of the pickups, have always thought they looked super cool!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by k1w1 »

And strung up. No buzzes, hums or unwanted noise from the electronics and that is without the string ground. Great action and intonates sweet, just waiting for the truss rod to settle in there was a tiny bit of back bow that I am hoping the string tension will pull up tonight.

Only thing I need to do is get the pole pieces set up better on the pickups.

The pickups (without setting the pole pieces) the bridge is Tele trebly cuts through well. The middle position is a nice balanced sound. The neck quite thick and rounded. I think they will be keepers. Very reminiscent of P90s with probably a little more treble at the bridge.

Also starting to really like the cupcake knobs. I'll see how they look with the pickguard. I am inclined to leave the electronics as they are. everything seems to work.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Hate to be a killjoy, but I think you can gets these at The Wharehouse. They are next to the rubber surfboards.

Joking aside. Nice job, and I can see the attraction.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Wow! What a fantastic result. When you first got the kit, I thought maybe I could do that, but as the build progressed, I realised that there would be no way that I could doit! Hahahaha
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Looking sharp. I definitely want one.