Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 177 times
Been liked: 116 times

PLEK is cool

Post by SimpleSi »

Since getting a gibson in the past and now 2 Doozy's

I've always wondered what PLEK actually does.

amazing machine.
Instagram: @simonperssonmusic www.Simonperssonmusic.com
Guitars: Duesenberg Julia, DIY Duesenberg Walnut Caribou, DIY Custom Strat, Duesenberg Tom Bukovac Session man Starplayer TV, PRS SE Silver Sky, Maton ECW80C Acoustic, Duesenberg Paloma

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: PLEK is cool

Post by robnobcorncob »

Frey wrote:Just does automatically what a skilled luthier, look it up mate!, look it up mate! can do manually. Pretty cool but pretty much a cost saving initiative, or bringing the setup quality of lower end guitars up, ie. ones that normally wouldn't get a nice fret dress.
It has been proven that a good luthier can "out PLEK a PLEK" but in terms of cost saving.... have you looked into what a PLEK machine costs? That's a LOT of PLEK'd guitars before it pays for itself.

Glacial Pace
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Glacial Pace »

Cool wee video, I have to ask if Gibson uses the same level of detail when PLEKing their guitars, you still seem to hear about nuts incorrectly cut etc. Maybe their QC isn't as stringent or maybe people like to look for faults in Gibson guitars.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

Frey wrote:Yeah, hence why it's only big companies using them. Economies of scales and all that.
Some of the bigger repair shops in the USA use the "basic" model which I'm sure costs an arm and a leg too.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

martin.jpeg
I was handed the Martin attached to this tag and told it was one of their new Plek'd models. It was their cheapest solid wood offering.
Possibly the best playing of-the-peg Martin I've met. Compared it to a D28 and a couple of other $4k models. Was nicer to play.
I'm sure Linda Manzer and James Olson don't need a Plek machine but you could have half a dozen Martins for the same money and be 3 years younger when you got them.
I'm sold.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

The precision of these machines is incredible. Their ability to analyse within 100th of a mm is far more precise than I imagine any builder could manage. Apparently Gibson preload the neck to represent string tension before applying the PLEK. Don't think the Duesenberg example does that.

Doesn't matter what the motives are. It's the outcome that counts. It's just another example of a machine doing a job better and more consistently than a person. Modern guitars are full of such examples.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

IT TAKES THE SOUL OF THE INSTRUMENT AWAY!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

jeremyb wrote:IT TAKES THE SOUL OF THE INSTRUMENT AWAY!
:D

Anthropomorphism at its finest!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:IT TAKES THE SOUL OF THE INSTRUMENT AWAY!
but taking valves out of an amp doesn't :?:

:idea:

:mental:

:moresarc:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Glacial Pace wrote:Cool wee video, I have to ask if Gibson uses the same level of detail when PLEKing their guitars, you still seem to hear about nuts incorrectly cut etc. Maybe their QC isn't as stringent or maybe people like to look for faults in Gibson guitars.
PLEKing doesn't touch the nut if I'm not mistaken. It's to do with the frets all being level. They can be level and a nut can still be badly cut by a person in a factory
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

My experience with Plek'd guitars is the frets still need finishing. They are not polished properly and the edges are overlooked.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robnobcorncob »

GrantB wrote:My experience with Plek'd guitars is the frets still need finishing. They are not polished properly and the edges are overlooked.
Agreed, 100% !

Glacial Pace
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Glacial Pace »

druz15 wrote:
Glacial Pace wrote:Cool wee video, I have to ask if Gibson uses the same level of detail when PLEKing their guitars, you still seem to hear about nuts incorrectly cut etc. Maybe their QC isn't as stringent or maybe people like to look for faults in Gibson guitars.
PLEKing doesn't touch the nut if I'm not mistaken. It's to do with the frets all being level. They can be level and a nut can still be badly cut by a person in a factory
Isn't the nut being cut in that video at about 9:40ish?

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

GrantB wrote:My experience with Plek'd guitars is the frets still need finishing. They are not polished properly and the edges are overlooked.
That would no doubt be guitars starting with G. :moresarc:

Suhr pleked frets are immaculate. The Dueseys I've met have been pretty good too.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

And PRS non-PLEKed frets manage to be perfect so that says summut.