Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Paint aerosol

Post by Single coil »

Snarblinge wrote:clogged tips etc.
The most annoying mortal enemy of the aerosol hobbyist.

Never used an airbrush. I enjoy the challenge of trying to get a good result using the more crude and ad hoc method (ars’ole can).

How useful this information is though, I’m not sure. :mrgreen:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

A man walks up to the counter at a Swedish pharmacist.

"I'd like some deodorant please."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS2N1mBsEdM

I love this shit.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:Got to have the right tints.
Do you think it'd be possible to achieve something like this by painting the edges, say, Olympic White, then masking a pin-stripe binding and painting the main colour?

The idea would then be to paint a tint. Not exactly this but something like it:

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Yep - you'd need to not mask the original white to ensure there were no lacquer ridges. But yeah, could be done.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:Yep - you'd need to not mask the original white to ensure there were no lacquer ridges. But yeah, could be done.
Will give it a go. Ta.

Wasn't going to be really fussy with this one. It's an ash body and, from memory, ash takes a lot more work to get a completely flat finish. I was kind of resigned to just letting the grain / character of the wood show through the colour (much like the Paulownia on the Radian).

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Google "faux binding" it's fairly common :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

If there's anything that shits me about aerosol can projects is if I've got a broad horizontal surface (bonnet :D ) is leaning the can in towards the workface and it spits and misfires because the pick up tube has cleared the paint level. Next worst or even more worse is donging the bottom of the can on the softened fresh paint.
Gonna dig a new money hole to fill with a new air gun and paint in the litres...
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

calling card wrote:If there's anything that shits me about aerosol can projects is if I've got a broad horizontal surface (bonnet :D ) is leaning the can in towards the workface and it spits and misfires because the pick up tube has cleared the paint level. Next worst or even more worse is donging the bottom of the can on the softened fresh paint.
Gonna dig a new money hole to fill with a new air gun and paint in the litres...
Ah, yes... This. I took to putting nails in the screw holes so I could lay the guitar flat, paint the edges (on a wee turntable arrangement) and do a pass across the top. Working progressively further away from me so the overspray didn't go on the freshly laid paint more than once I had a nice drip land straight in the middle. These days I'd probably hang it to avoid that.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Not to be overlooked is the sheer convenience of a premixed aerosol can. Pick it up and go. I'm now going to have to clear away a pile of sandpaper, bog cans, you name it to make a semi surgical clean spot to mix and load a gun. There will be paint drool, sticky stirring sticks, a hissing compressor where it leaks around the vapour trap. Nothing eats power like a 2HP air compressor, I can see my shed power bill spike if I'm using that thing.
It has been blissfully peaceful apart from bad language as I fuck up an aerosol painting. I've also triumphed where you wouldn't think it had been done so low tech.
Also Nitro putty will save you.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

calling card wrote:Not to be overlooked is the sheer convenience of a premixed aerosol can. Pick it up and go. I'm now going to have to clear away a pile of sandpaper, bog cans, you name it to make a semi surgical clean spot to mix and load a gun. There will be paint drool, sticky stirring sticks, a hissing compressor where it leaks around the vapour trap. Nothing eats power like a 2HP air compressor, I can see my shed power bill spike if I'm using that thing.
It has been blissfully peaceful apart from bad language as I fuck up an aerosol painting. I've also triumphed where you wouldn't think it had been done so low tech.
Also Nitro putty will save you.
And condensation in the tank / lines... PITA. I'd have a wee compressor for guitar jobs but couldn't be arsed with one of those Bunnings 2hp jobbies ever again. Too noisy for one thing.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Sourcing an aerosol tinted to the right shade is proving to be more difficult than previously. PITA.

What if I just TruOil an ash body? Couple of nice examples on Google.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Have you located Resene's seemingly infinite colour swatches. Get some that approx or close to what you want and narrow it down. I went through this with grey, believe me there far more than fifty shades.
If you find the colour you want the can shop will be able to reference it.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

calling card wrote:Have you located Resene's seemingly infinite colour swatches. Get some that approx or close to what you want and narrow it down. I went through this with grey, believe me there far more than fifty shades.
If you find the colour you want the can shop will be able to reference it.
He did say that actually but also said it'd need to be from the automotive not home swatches. And they're closed Saturday. Arse!

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Molly wrote:Sourcing an aerosol tinted to the right shade is proving to be more difficult than previously. PITA.

What if I just TruOil an ash body? Couple of nice examples on Google.
Tru-oil is all good, particularly if you aren't wanting a mirror finish with the deep grain on the ash. It is pretty easy to use.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I've done a couple of bodies now with tru-oil, brilliant stuff, also used briwax spirit dyes on the body to colour them, turned out awesome :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.