Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Tele Build Project - Finished

Post by Molly »

Only just occurred to me that since I never built it with the original finish I can't really say how much the new one has improved things. Duh.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:Only just occurred to me that since I never built it with the original finish I can't really say how much the new one has improved things. Duh.
It looks nicer eh?
I stripped an SX down and nitro finished it. Sounded just the same to me.
I am loving the organic feel of oiled wood (oh-err) at the moment though, but as to sound difference - well I have wooden ears anyway.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
Molly wrote:Only just occurred to me that since I never built it with the original finish I can't really say how much the new one has improved things. Duh.
It looks nicer eh?
I stripped an SX down and nitro finished it. Sounded just the same to me.
I am loving the organic feel of oiled wood (oh-err) at the moment though, but as to sound difference - well I have wooden ears anyway.
I have both Teles here on the sofa. No amp. Same strings, tuners, bridge, maple neck etc. But the paulownia one sounds more balanced, really full, quite different. It's a really sweet acoustic. The ash one manages to sound unpleasant by comparison. Especially the harsh-sounding higher notes.

Not saying all of that is evident plugged in. Just that for all the similarities they're very different.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Ash is a very trebly harsh wood, I've found. My first build was Ash, I've never revisited it. Especially nasty with a maple neck. Like an old 54 strat.... cuts through like a hot knife, should be a great combination but made me want to stick needles in my ears in preference.

95% of my builds have been mahogany since, just a very warm mellow forgiving tone. Korina I've found to be an awesome bbq smoking wood, haven't finished a build with it properly - its just too soft. I did a rimu strat that in hindsight was probably the best I've made or played. Really miss that one.

In my experience of generic tonewoods and indigenous examples, just some pieces are dead. Thats where Adrian (Ash) was so good, he would always supply a ringing piece of timber. Whatever you asked for. I swear he probably has awesome balsawood stashed next to really great plywood and MDF.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:Ash is a very trebly harsh wood, I've found. My first build was Ash, I've never revisited it. Especially nasty with a maple neck. Like an old 54 strat.... cuts through like a hot knife, should be a great combination but made me want to stick needles in my ears in preference.
Interesting that the Nocaster can be such a great sounding guitar despite the ash/maple combination. I guess it's what they're like amplified. Dunno. You'd think by now it wouldn't be such a black art. Feck, this could get addictive. Time to knock-up half a dozen bodies in different woods. :-)

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Bg wrote:Ash is a very trebly harsh wood, I've found. My first build was Ash, I've never revisited it. Especially nasty with a maple neck. Like an old 54 strat.... cuts through like a hot knife, should be a great combination but made me want to stick needles in my ears in preference.

95% of my builds have been mahogany since, just a very warm mellow forgiving tone. Korina I've found to be an awesome bbq smoking wood, haven't finished a build with it properly - its just too soft. I did a rimu strat that in hindsight was probably the best I've made or played. Really miss that one.

In my experience of generic tonewoods and indigenous examples, just some pieces are dead. Thats where Adrian (Ash) was so good, he would always supply a ringing piece of timber. Whatever you asked for. I swear he probably has awesome balsawood stashed next to really great plywood and MDF.
There are at least two kinds of ash used commonly on Strats and teles. There's the hard kind, exemplified by those awful, natural Strats from the 70's and still used a lot. This is heavy, and it is trebly., and hard to work. Then there is swamp ash, which is used now by many builders, e.g. Warmoth, Upmarket Fenders, that is light, nicely figured and mellow. Sounds great.