Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

First stainless refret....

Post by Bg »

Frets probably worth more than the guitar ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: First stainless refret....

Post by willow13 »

wow could be a long haul :rofl: ... will be great though
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I have to say trimming them is a fucking pita. They're over binding so bench grinder to trim the nib ends down. Otherwise no more of a pain than usual :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Stainless frets are great

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

can you tell whos it is yet?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Had to use CA on the frets as the tangs weren't going to hold, oh well. There was some breakout from removal so it filled that too. Stainless is PITA for trimming, did I mention that? :lol:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

also on the workbench is a LP Spesh in need of a serious fret dress, some binding and electrical work :) May need a refret, will see how it goes!

I'm around if anyone has any work required, not pushing it but available for friends and friends of friends.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Would you do a partial refret on a classical?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:Would you do a partial refret on a classical?
It depends, personally I wouldn't do a partial unless its only the odd fret. I'd have to see it mate. Matching frets is a potential pain.

How was the crossing?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Looks cool. I'd be too afraid to attempt it. Just think I'd be out of patience by the third fret and it'd only be good for kumbaya.

Just out of interest, how realistic is it to attempt to get the fret to size before it's pressed in? I notice everybody puts them in then tidies the ends.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:Looks cool. I'd be too afraid to attempt it. Just think I'd be out of patience by the third fret and it'd only be good for kumbaya.

Just out of interest, how realistic is it to attempt to get the fret to size before it's pressed in? I notice everybody puts them in then tidies the ends.
Coincidentally, I was talking to another luthier earlier who has done the whole rounded fret end thing, so that was every fret end shaped in a semi circle and rounded. An extra 37 hours work. So.... that times your hourly charge out rate == a Custom Shop Les Paul worth of work I reckon ;)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
Molly wrote:Looks cool. I'd be too afraid to attempt it. Just think I'd be out of patience by the third fret and it'd only be good for kumbaya.

Coincidentally, I was talking to another luthier earlier who has done the whole rounded fret end thing, so that was every fret end shaped in a semi circle and rounded. An extra 37 hours work. So.... that times your hourly charge out rate == a Custom Shop Les Paul worth of work I reckon ;)
Knowing me I wouldn't be able to attempt the task without first trying to invent a method that simplified the whole process. I'd then fail to establish said method and fuck all would get done...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah, one of those things were simplification may involving casting and intricate moulds....

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

37 hours ....jaesus. Stainless - fun times but looking good.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Bg wrote:Frets probably worth more than the guitar ;)
A close second. :lol:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.