Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Kwila neck build

Post by Bg »

Finally got around to starting this, only roughed out at the moment, had a refret to do for Single Coil which took yesterday arvo and a bit of today to finish, and the missus demanded my attention for bathroom refinishing :(

So I now have a roughed out kwila neck, though its as thick as fuck, hoping the jigsaws up to thicknessing else I'm going to be making a thicknessing jig for the router.

Torn between making a template, but as per usual I'm thinking freehand - I know I'll end up making one if I ever do another tele neck but at the moment I really can't be arsed!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Kwila neck build

Post by Single coil »

Thank you kindly for seeing to my guitar.
Pictures of nice wood Oh, my!?
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

are you braving the no truss rod with the kwila? I have a half finished kwila neck here that I chickened out and put a rod in there...I sort of got the neck joining headstock area "wrong" so I think its a little thin and might be prone to snapping. Might need to glue some extra wood on there to strengthen..just can't be arse at the mo :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Always wondered about getting some kwila decking and seeing if you could make a neck from it.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:Always wondered about getting some kwila decking and seeing if you could make a neck from it.
well thats all i'm using :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I do have some planks as well, but I have started with the decking :thumbup:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yep, no truss rod involved. At the end of the cliche, if it becomes an issue I can route one in from behind eh. I'm happy enough putting one in - thats probably the easiest part of the build for me! - but Adrian reckoned it wouldn't need it so I'll go with that :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

Had kwila decking at a previous home and man did the mongrel splinter!!

Would be pretty as a neck I'm assuming?
Wellington

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Bg wrote:Yep, no truss rod involved. At the end of the cliche, if it becomes an issue I can route one in from behind eh. I'm happy enough putting one in - thats probably the easiest part of the build for me! - but Adrian reckoned it wouldn't need it so I'll go with that :)
Wheres JB when you need him ;)

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

willow13 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Always wondered about getting some kwila decking and seeing if you could make a neck from it.

Is decking thick enough? I've use decking and cut it in half to use as fret boards, but didn't check to think if it would do as a one-piece.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Lostininverness wrote:
willow13 wrote:

Is decking thick enough? I've use decking and cut it in half to use as fret boards, but didn't check to think if it would do as a one-piece.
If you're building an Ibanez RG style neck, it would be plenty.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

well this is a big chunk of quarter sawn I got from Adrian, I wouldn't recommend it for decking use....

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Lostininverness wrote:
willow13 wrote:

25mm decking is plenty if you put a fretboard on it..not thick enough for a one piece

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah 25mm would be, unless you want skinny neck!

Ok, more movement here, I'm taking photos so will upload at some stage.
The neck is now approaching the right size for the guitar. I had to thickness about 10mm off it. I could have made a thicknessing jig/box thingy for the router but I decided that would be a fanny about.

I have 3 routers, one is in a table, so I basically removed the 10 mm in two passes leaving little islands at 200mm ish intervals (about 8 mm wide) so that once we got down to the final thickness I just turned the neck over and chiselled the islands off. This really worked well. 20 mins later, the neck is the right thickness (chunky!)

Did the same sort of thing with the headstock, that needed about 12mm off the top, no worries. Then put the big radius in twixt nut and headstock with the belt sander (clamped to my bench)

Only slight fubar moment was a small amount of wood chipped off the front of the headstock when routing. 10 mins, superglue and some of the copious amounts of sawdust sorted that.

Tested my dot markers, will take a pic tomorrow, but basically, alluminium tube (9.53mm... its in imperial) drill the hole, put in the tube, fill with epoxy and sawdust, or I might go with black woodfiller. Side markers are 3mm brass rod.

More achieved today than expected though!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Cool, I like that idea of aluminium dot markers with a black filling. Although white would be my preference.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jvpp wrote:Cool, I like that idea of aluminium dot markers with a black filling. Although white would be my preference.
Yeah, I've gone natural in the end, had to drop the size of tube to 1/4" too (6.6mm ish??? they sell it in imperial) The big stuff just wasn't going to fit between frets on the dusty end. Shame because the wall was thicker too.

Anyway just a daft quad of pics, to show where I'm at. Sadly I'm renovating the bathroom at the same time, so my build time is halved dagnabbit!

ok top... my sight is shot to shit, so I should have used the big magnifying thing I have. But didn't. 4 frets slightly out of whack and one dot marker a mm or so out :(

arbitrary boring profile shot, got a couple of mm to remove from the face of the headstock yet.

Fixed breakout on the end of the headstock, epoxy and kwila dust...

And a quick mockup of the aluminium dot markers.

very quick, I'll be reshaping with a scalpel on the real deal, if I can be arsed!