Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Another Strat build project

Post by Molly »

Just did a deal outside TM for this neck. It's coming from a guy I've dealt with a few times and feel I can trust.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... &archive=1

Now I'm wondering if I should use the EJ Strat as the other part of the project. It's got a nice, light, two-piece alder body with lovely contours so would be a great one to use. Plus it's got decent hardware. I'd change the bridge pickup and put a three-ply pickguard on it to go with the CBS size headstock. And I'd paint it as I hate that blonde, translucent white that's there now. Probably just nitro black and age it a little.

Whadaya reckon? Butcher the EJ or source all new parts for the build?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: Another Strat build project

Post by Slowy »

The EJ will give you the most expensive bits ever used to assemble a partscaster. Get a MIJ relic'd body and your favourite hardware/pups. Then you'll have a cool Strat with a smelly neck and an EJ that's worth some coin.

Alternatively, if you think the EJ's worthless, I'll send you my address. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:Just did a deal outside TM for this neck. It's coming from a guy I've dealt with a few times and feel I can trust.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... &archive=1

Now I'm wondering if I should use the EJ Strat as the other part of the project. It's got a nice, light, two-piece alder body with lovely contours so would be a great one to use. Plus it's got decent hardware. I'd change the bridge pickup and put a three-ply pickguard on it to go with the CBS size headstock. And I'd paint it as I hate that blonde, translucent white that's there now. Probably just nitro black and age it a little.

Whadaya reckon? Butcher the EJ or source all new parts for the build?
I love how the name drop the 69 neck when its was made in 2005 ...... hopefully the wood was from a tree cut down in 69 :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

It's from a CS '69 reissue.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:It's from a CS '69 reissue.
I know ... an I get it is based on the 69 specs, but it was still made in 2005. That sort of thing always annoyed me. Same goes for those ridiculously expensive gibson relics of famous guitars. Yes they can copy every single nick on the body and the wear on the neck etc etc, but there is no way of ageing the wood to be anything at all like the real guitar would be today, they are basically new guitars :rofl:

anyway my "problem" not yours :rofl:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

willow13 wrote:
I know ... an I get it is based on the 69 specs, but it was still made in 2005. That sort of thing always annoyed me. Same goes for those ridiculously expensive gibson relics of famous guitars. Yes they can copy every single nick on the body and the wear on the neck etc etc, but there is no way of ageing the wood to be anything at all like the real guitar would be today, they are basically new guitars :rofl:

True but any 'iconic' tone you can think of was probably played on a reasonably new guitar.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:
willow13 wrote:

True but any 'iconic' tone you can think of was probably played on a reasonably new guitar.
yeah probably at least in part true ..... maybe the price tag should resemble a newer one then :rofl:

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

butchering something well above average like an EJ, that many would kill for seems disrespectful, and sacrilegious

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

kwhelan wrote:butchering something well above average like an EJ, that many would kill for seems disrespectful, and sacrilegious
Geez, it's only a copy of a 54 Strat with some paint scraped off under the bridge :roll:

:shifty:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kwhelan »

:think: heathen show some respect ,poor eric spent a long time making that, if you don't lust after his choices and think you can do better you shouldn't have bought it.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

kwhelan wrote:butchering something well above average like an EJ, that many would kill for seems disrespectful, and sacrilegious
Christ, that's the least of my concerns. I routinely disregard some of the finest guitars in the world with a casual wave of my hanky reminiscent of a pre-revolution French monarch dismissing a commoner.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I've still not got over the clapton custom shop you repainted :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kwhelan »

Molly wrote:
Christ, that's the least of my concerns. I routinely disregard some of the finest guitars in the world with a casual wave of my hanky reminiscent of a pre-revolution French monarch dismissing a commoner.
Bags you tell him, he's texan so probably packs a magnum 45

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

can I just say, now that I'm building an actual neck, that this isn't really a build.... more of a bolt together :P ;) feel free to hate on me, I'm basking in my glory of a neck build :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:can I just say, now that I'm building an actual neck, that this isn't really a build.... more of a bolt together :P ;) feel free to hate on me, I'm basking in my glory of a neck build :P
It's true. It's true... This is an 'assembly' not a build. :-(