StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1316 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:59 am Faceplate before and after, I purposely went with a slightly bolder text. I also put the original rubberised knobs back on, they were loose fitting so I had replaced them with set screw knobs, but now found a way to make them fit tight.

IMG_5956.jpeg

IMG_5971.jpeg
Looks great
How did you go about it in the end ?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:11 am
sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:59 am Faceplate before and after, I purposely went with a slightly bolder text. I also put the original rubberised knobs back on, they were loose fitting so I had replaced them with set screw knobs, but now found a way to make them fit tight.

IMG_5956.jpeg

IMG_5971.jpeg
Looks great

I created the template with https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/front-panel-designer, this took several hours to be honest and it was painstakingly difficult to get it accurate.

Then I took the original faceplate and the template files to Henri at Embrace Design in Tawa and he used this laser inking process https://www.laserbondingtech.com.

It was $106

The original text was just flaking off when you touched it. This laser bonded ink is really solid, I couldn't shift the test printing on the back of the panel.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:18 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:11 am

IMG_5956.jpeg
Great result !
I need to get some printing done for the reverb tank face plates and I need a very thin face plate as the insulated jacks eat up the thread length on each socket.
I’m actually wondering about printing directly onto the chassis. Wonder if they would handle that?

IMG_5971.jpeg
Looks great

I created the template with https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/front-panel-designer, this took several hours to be honest and it was painstakingly difficult to get it accurate.

Then I took the original faceplate and the template files to Henri at Embrace Design in Tawa and he used this laser inking process https://www.laserbondingtech.com.

It was $106

The original text was just flaking off when you touched it. This laser bonded ink is really solid, I couldn't shift the test printing on the back of the panel.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

I had mine printed straight on the chassis once but it only just fitted in the printer so to speak. I don't recommend it, buy some jacks with longer shaft and more thread
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Jay wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:23 am I had mine printed straight on the chassis once but it only just fitted in the printer so to speak. I don't recommend it, buy some jacks with longer shaft and more thread
Would there not be an issue with the guitar lead not being long enough to engage with the tip?

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

I found there were two 'types'... the shitty ones with a slightly shorter thread shaft and crappy thread, ie Jaycar. The good ones with a good thread and the shaft just that little bit longer. The latter from Amplified parts
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Slowy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:46 pm
Bg wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:25 pm So workbench is now on the floor, now if only I had instructions like from ikea…..

Nice bits of Blackwood maybe I should just build some guitars out of it?
As long as it's strong and stable, a workbench doesn't care what it's made of. It's not furniture; don't waste beautiful wood on it.
But it can be beautiful furniture and it can be a way to further refine your craft as the apprentice test pieces of yore were. I aspire to the time, skill and confidence to build something like this:

http://www.strazzafurniture.com/workbenches.html

Expediency in the age of power tool democracy doesn't have to be the only bottom line qualifier of a job well done. Granted, in this capitalist paradigm, time is money, but if time can be spent acquiring skill and confidence, happiness and story, then the measures of a job well done widen beyond economic expediency. A cool as fuck work-bench is as good a project to honour quality timber by as any and a legacy object to leave...like planting a tree and knowing you'll never be alive long enough to enjoy it's shade.

Yeah...then relic the fuck outta it in use and love doing it, and it, and the memory of it's maker and their story, will only gain mana :)

I'm currently enjoying quietly riving posts from tootara and the sound of a hand plane peeling shavings. My eye, my hand and a buzz that I get to repurpose tree bones for a purpose that many others will enjoy :thumbup:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

clubhouse wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:25 pm
Bg wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:25 pm So workbench is now on the floor, now if only I had instructions like from ikea…..

As long as it's strong and stable, a workbench doesn't care what it's made of. It's not furniture; don't waste beautiful wood on it.
But it can be beautiful furniture and it can be a way to further refine your craft as the apprentice test pieces of yore were. I aspire to the time, skill and confidence to build something like this:

Expediency in the age of power tool democracy doesn't have to be the only bottom line qualifier of a job well done. Granted, in this capitalist paradigm, time is money, but if time can be spent acquiring skill and confidence, happiness and story, then the measures of a job well done widen beyond economic expediency. A cool as fuck work-bench is as good a project to honour quality timber by as any and a legacy object to leave...like planting a tree and knowing you'll never be alive long enough to enjoy it's shade.

Yeah...then relic the fuck outta it in use and love doing it, and it, and the memory of it's maker and their story, will only gain mana :)

I'm currently enjoying quietly riving posts from tootara and the sound of a hand plane peeling shavings. My eye, my hand and a buzz that I get to repurpose tree bones for a purpose that many others will enjoy :thumbup:
Damn thats some beautiful art there, I couldn't use something like that :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

I love seeing less than paper thin shavings ejecting from my planes, JB - easy tiger.

I appreciate a dunger workbench, I contributed most of the scars to my dads workbench, the wood was unrecognizable after so many years wear and tear and motorbike engines being dismantled on it.

But I've wanted a decent hardwood workbench for over 25 years, ever since I started buying woodworking books and making tools. Now I have space and can do that, my old shitty table can take the bashing, I know I'll saw into it at some stage, I did that to the kwilla outdoor table at the old place, twice... yeah the missus was well impressed.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Bg wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:14 pm

I love seeing less than paper thin shavings ejecting from my planes, JB - easy tiger.

I appreciate a dunger workbench, I contributed most of the scars to my dads workbench, the wood was unrecognizable after so many years wear and tear and motorbike engines being dismantled on it.

But I've wanted a decent hardwood workbench for over 25 years, ever since I started buying woodworking books and making tools. Now I have space and can do that, my old shitty table can take the bashing, I know I'll saw into it at some stage, I did that to the kwilla outdoor table at the old place, twice... yeah the missus was well impressed.
Beautiful, man! Thanks for sharing the story of you and your dad's workbench life. IMHO, it's when the things, however humble or dunga they may look to some, hold or trigger cool stories, that they become something pretty special...others may think junk is just junk and that's cool for them, too. Excellent, man, that you can make a 25+ year ambition real...that's commitment, right there! Build progress reports, please :thumbup:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

That is absolutely beautiful; the sort of thing I'd be proud to produce on my workbench but the last thing I would want as my workbench. If I need to screw blocks onto the bench for instance, I don't want that kind of anguish.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Tasmanian Blackwood…

Quite like the look of Australian hardwood…said the kindy teacher to me the other day (me thinking…but, I’m not Australian?)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

So, progress ….

Two bits of wood jointed x2 and then thicknessed, have started jointing the legs, half laps and by hand.

This is a labour of love
Attachments
IMG_0936.jpeg
IMG_0936.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 27673 times
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

And another workbench arrived
Attachments
IMG_0937.jpeg
IMG_0937.jpeg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 27673 times

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Bg wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 pm And another workbench arrived
Woah...that's a sexy as neck tickler, man 8) reminds me a little of that dildo rocking chair deal that George Clooney made in the basement for his mrs in Burn After Reading...I don't know why :eh: Is it in your basement?