That is absolutely stunning. What a head-turner

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Re: Telecaster Custom Build

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Looks amazing Grant. Looking forward to hearing the twang from all the way up here...

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Also where did you get thee logo... i need one.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

eBay
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Also where did you get thee logo... i need one.
The seller no longer is active. His decals were the best. Most don't use the correct metallic ink. I have a late '64 onwards logo from him if you're interested. Like this....actually, these guys look like the biz. Maybe try them for a pre-'64 logo?

http://oldfret.com/lt/1964-68-Custom-Te ... -Decal.htm
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Love the tint on that neck Grant, thanks for sharing

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Voxshall wrote:Love the tint on that neck Grant, thanks for sharing
Cheers - in case anyone is ever doing the same thing, for every 50ml mix of clear (which is 30-50% thinners), add in 3-4 drops of yellow amber and 1-2 drops of medium brown. Adjust as you go...lessen or increase the drops to fine tune.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_S ... tains.html

I'm using Mirotone nitro, HVLP gun set to 40psi with a fine tuned air/lacquer ratio. The gun is shyte and the air and blend dials are too loose.

ALWAYS USE A PROPER MASK, and ventilate!!!! My mask is a 3M like this https://www.officemax.co.nz/Safety-Firs ... YXEALw_wcB
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

How many CFM does your compressor do? You need an awful lot for HVLP!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote:How many CFM does your compressor do? You need an awful lot for HVLP!
Doh, actually, it just reads High Pressure Gravity Feed Spray Gun.

I'm sick at home so I went to find the box to detail it. What I found was, I actually purchased a brand new fancy gun ages ago and have never used it. Here I am using my old blue gun which I despise, and I have this all chrome fancy bling thing sitting unused, which I just "re-found" again.

This is an analogy of how screwed up my life is!

The new one requires about 14CFM....the old one needs 400LM. About the same. But that's for continuous spraying, and very heavy compounds. The demands for a guitar are much less and nitro, thinned out, is easy to spray. I set mine for around 40 PSI and it's only a smaller compressor at around 120LPM...Super Cheap auto. Works great...don;t let the tech sheets freak you out.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

GrantB wrote:
The seller no longer is active. His decals were the best. Most don't use the correct metallic ink. I have a late '64 onwards logo from him if you're interested. Like this....actually, these guys look like the biz. Maybe try them for a pre-'64 logo?

http://oldfret.com/lt/1964-68-Custom-Te ... -Decal.htm
I've used one of the Oldfret ones. I'm no expert on what constitutes the right kind of ink, but it looked great to me.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Looks great so far ..... but that Flat bit where the jack is, is fucking with my OCD haha
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

willow13 wrote:Looks great so far ..... but that Flat bit where the jack is, is fucking with my OCD haha
Proper Tele of it has that though!! 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote:
I'm sick at home so I went to find the box to detail it. What I found was, I actually purchased a brand new fancy gun ages ago and have never used it. Here I am using my old blue gun which I despise, and I have this all chrome fancy bling thing sitting unused, which I just "re-found" again.

This is an analogy of how screwed up my life is!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cool story! Don't worry about it mate; men aren't supposed to survive multi tasking.

You have a new gun. Win!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

GrantB wrote:
Voxshall wrote:Love the tint on that neck Grant, thanks for sharing
Cheers - in case anyone is ever doing the same thing, for every 50ml mix of clear (which is 30-50% thinners), add in 3-4 drops of yellow amber and 1-2 drops of medium brown. Adjust as you go...lessen or increase the drops to fine tune.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_S ... tains.html

I'm using Mirotone nitro, HVLP gun set to 40psi with a fine tuned air/lacquer ratio. The gun is shyte and the air and blend dials are too loose.

ALWAYS USE A PROPER MASK, and ventilate!!!! My mask is a 3M like this https://www.officemax.co.nz/Safety-Firs ... YXEALw_wcB
Bloody nice of you to share those details!

What Mirotone product do you use? The stuff down here that they market as nitro all seems to have a white base tint? I use the Mirocat PC stuff, which seems to be very closely related to nitro. It certainly got a lot of checking when I mistakenly left a guitar out in the shed during a few days of snow while off on holiday!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Lostininverness wrote: Bloody nice of you to share those details!

What Mirotone product do you use? The stuff down here that they market as nitro all seems to have a white base tint? I use the Mirocat PC stuff, which seems to be very closely related to nitro. It certainly got a lot of checking when I mistakenly left a guitar out in the shed during a few days of snow while off on holiday!
I'll grab the details and post them some stage. Local supplier is very accommodating. This nitro isn't so prone to checking...but it does. Just probably more like the original.