Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Re: Telecaster Custom Build

Post by Starfire »

Looks great. Neck looks very nice too, if a little thin—you can see the transition from shaft to headstock. :P Did you apply the neck finish? Real clay fingerboard dots or imitation?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

el byrdo wrote:I think he mentioned they're real clay. Looks hot. Following. I never should of sold my mexi telecaster or my partsocaster. I like teles.
Teles are just the best, good old slab of wood that can do anything :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

twangnsnarl wrote:Looks great. Neck looks very nice too, if a little thin—you can see the transition from shaft to headstock. :P Did you apply the neck finish? Real clay fingerboard dots or imitation?
Yes it has a little dip there, but it is very much a '59 profile. I like that better than the BamBam clubs.

Yes, tinted nitro - it is unfinished in the photos....needs flattening out then buffing. Yes, real clay dots, side dots in between the board and neck woods....look great. Can't wait to have it together. Another month I reckon.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Interested to find out how 59 profile works on a tele.

I’ll wash my hands first.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

GrantB wrote:
Yes it has a little dip there, but it is very much a '59 profile. I like that better than the BamBam clubs.

Yes, tinted nitro - it is unfinished in the photos....needs flattening out then buffing. Yes, real clay dots, side dots in between the board and neck woods....look great. Can't wait to have it together. Another month I reckon.
I kid—it looks like my ideal neck profile. Similar to the neck on my Cabronita.

So the neck arrives from Musikraft with a thin lacquer sealer?

Real clay and 50/50 side dots are a bit of a price increase! Still, it's often these little details that make the difference between a very good guitar and a 'forever' guitar.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

twangnsnarl wrote:
GrantB wrote:

I kid—it looks like my ideal neck profile. Similar to the neck on my Cabronita.

So the neck arrives from Musikraft with a thin lacquer sealer?

Real clay and 50/50 side dots are a bit of a price increase! Still, it's often these little details that make the difference between a very good guitar and a 'forever' guitar.

Getting the sealer is an upcharge, but worth it...saves time and ensures no impurities get to the wood before you spray.

I do like those little things like the dots...

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Starfire »

GrantB wrote:

Getting the sealer is an upcharge, but worth it...saves time and ensures no impurities get to the wood before you spray.

Did you also go for their '59 truss rod option?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

twangnsnarl wrote:
GrantB wrote:

Did you also go for their '59 truss rod option?
No - standard vintage two slot head at body end. Such a bad design...but hey...this is meant to be a '60.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

GrantB wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Lostininverness wrote:Did ypu sptay the tint for the binding over the whole thing?
Edges and sides only...but the spray dissipates.
I should have added, the order of the layers is critical. By doing this last over dark edges the tint won’t affect how they look. Make sense?
So the tint kind of gets lost in the blacker edges without being too viable? Are you not going to give it a reliced/aged look? Not needing to tint over the burst?

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Moar pictures please
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Lostininverness wrote:
GrantB wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Edges and sides only...but the spray dissipates.
I should have added, the order of the layers is critical. By doing this last over dark edges the tint won’t affect how they look. Make sense?
So the tint kind of gets lost in the blacker edges without being too viable? Are you not going to give it a reliced/aged look? Not needing to tint over the burst?
Correct.
Yes to the relic. The burst is yellow enough so just clear now.
One annoyance with this body is the narrower binding. It’s about 1mm narrower than vintage Fender.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Kev77 wrote:Moar pictures please
Looks darker than it really is here.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

When will you start taking orders????
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

can't wait to see it when you've fitted the bigsby!
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”