Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

recommendations for spraying equipment

Post by philly »

hi..
just been looking at the specs of air compressors at bunnings/supacheap etc.
must admit the numbers, spec etc. are a bit daunting
can anyone recommend a good basic compressor and gun type for guitary things?
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: recommendations for spraying equipment

Post by Reg18 »

I’m also about to buy something so I’ll watch to see what the experts have to say.
60l, 2.5hp with 120l per m etc etc! The specs don’t make much sense to me as to how they effect guitar painting specifically.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

CFM is the key factor, to paint properly you need a really high CFM, or be prepared to stop and start a lot, altho with a guitar body it won't matter much as it's fairly small... YMMV etc ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I'm using something like this
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-pa ... 69d2fb-002

And compressor I use this
https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/blac ... CN01050101

I have a simple filter system for moisture. The above compressor wouldn't be enough for lots of spraying, but with careful flow adjustment and the right thinning I can get excellent finishes.

The gun is OK, but I see I have a fancy new one I've yet to unpack, so I'll use that for all bigger jobs. Mixing the paint is another art. Do lots of practicing on scraps of wood first!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

GrantB wrote:I'm using something like this

I have a simple filter system for moisture. The above compressor wouldn't be enough for lots of spraying, but with careful flow adjustment and the right thinning I can get excellent finishes.

The gun is OK, but I see I have a fancy new one I've yet to unpack, so I'll use that for all bigger jobs. Mixing the paint is another art. Do lots of practicing on scraps of wood first!
GrantB wrote:I'm using something like this

I have a simple filter system for moisture. The above compressor wouldn't be enough for lots of spraying, but with careful flow adjustment and the right thinning I can get excellent finishes

Yep this. I have the same one. PSI is not an issue with guitar bodies...you want low pressure for spraying. It all comes down to technique over "power"
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by philly »

willow13 wrote:
Yep this. I have the same one. PSI is not an issue with guitar bodies...you want low pressure for spraying. It all comes down to technique over "power"
that's what i've gleaned over my 10 mins of googling this afternoon :-)

high pressure spraying "atomises" more so you get a lighter spray with more wasted to the atmosphere

listen to me!... an expert already!!
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

philly wrote:
willow13 wrote:
that's what i've gleaned over my 10 mins of googling this afternoon :-)

high pressure spraying "atomises" more so you get a lighter spray with more wasted to the atmosphere

listen to me!... an expert already!!
yep .. as Grant said the mixing is the key. Especially when doing clearcoat...it is so easy to turn your clear into "dust" if you get the mix wrong
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

unless you're going to be doing mega spraying, just go with what you can afford. I have a compressor that cost me 80 bucks in a mitre10 sale about 12 years ago. I've done half a car with it.
Go with a decent gun though, the gravity fed style.

For anyone without a pro set up, it comes down to getting the least amount of orange peel as possible - put a good few layers on and you can rub it out.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote: I have a compressor that cost me 80 bucks in a mitre10 sale about 12 years ago. I've done half a car with it.
So if you'd bought the $160 one it would have done the whole car?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Look for one that runs reasonably quietly. My last one - cheap Bunnings thing - was so loud I couldn't use it late in the evening as it'd wake the kids! Also, the tank drain valve was hard to reach / operate. Surprising how much rusty water would accumulate in the tank.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:Look for one that runs reasonably quietly. My last one - cheap Bunnings thing - was so loud I couldn't use it late in the evening as it'd wake the kids! Also, the tank drain valve was hard to reach / operate. Surprising how much rusty water would accumulate in the tank.
Water equals outer humidity. Best not to spray on humid days anyway.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:
Bg wrote: I have a compressor that cost me 80 bucks in a mitre10 sale about 12 years ago. I've done half a car with it.
Nah, I'd need to buy the 'rear car compressor'

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
Molly wrote:Look for one that runs reasonably quietly. My last one - cheap Bunnings thing - was so loud I couldn't use it late in the evening as it'd wake the kids! Also, the tank drain valve was hard to reach / operate. Surprising how much rusty water would accumulate in the tank.
Water equals outer humidity. Best not to spray on humid days anyway.
With the best will in the world you're going to get condensation in the tank. It'd just help if you could vent it easily after use.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by philly »

Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Nah, I'd need to buy the 'rear car compressor'
you coulda done the front of two cars tho... obviously...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Could do many, just not the back obviously