Moderator: Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Need new recording interface

Post by slash-ed »

I've been using the 2i2 for a few years, it's performed very well.

Only issue is that it clips fairly easily, so if you're trying to go direct with a particularly high output guitar or bass, you might have to wind the gain down a fair bit to compensate.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 838 times
Been liked: 1357 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Thinking about the focuSrite 2i4 in case I want to do anything with a midi keyboard.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

You can get usb midi keyboards, mine is, works fine...my previous interface I used for 4 years, it had midi, never needed it, not with most things being available on usb...stil, it might not hurt to have the option I guess!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

aliasceiza wrote:You can get usb midi keyboards, mine is, works fine...my previous interface I used for 4 years, it had midi, never needed it, not with most things being available on usb...stil, it might not hurt to have the option I guess!
Hmmm yeh that would be cool
I really want to do some recording with the yamaha dx7 I got given. It has some sweet patches ...wasp attack!

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:
aliasceiza wrote:You can get usb midi keyboards, mine is, works fine...my previous interface I used for 4 years, it had midi, never needed it, not with most things being available on usb...stil, it might not hurt to have the option I guess!
I really want to do some recording with the yamaha dx7 I got given. It has some sweet patches ...wasp attack!
I'd advise getting an interface with MIDI ports on it, so that you can connect the DX7 with MIDI and audio. That way you can use it to trigger other sounds (ie use it as a MIDI controller keyboard), plus you can record the performance, and then tweak the patches before recording the sounds back in (ie use it as a sound module).

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

benderissimo wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:
I'd advise getting an interface with MIDI ports on it, so that you can connect the DX7 with MIDI and audio. That way you can use it to trigger other sounds (ie use it as a MIDI controller keyboard), plus you can record the performance, and then tweak the patches before recording the sounds back in (ie use it as a sound module).
Sweet. Yep PMing RS Matt for a price on the 2i4 :D
Octave war!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I got an Mbox 3 on TM of 300 bucks. Was unused and mint. Very good unit apart from having to use the iLok thingy. It sounds very good and is one of the few audio devices i have used that is trouble free with Win 7. If you have 400, then perhaps scrape up the rest to get a new one. The academic version is good value.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Got myself a focusrite 2i4, at a sharp price thanks to Matt from the RS! Stoked with it. Got off work early today so im having a beer and setting it all up. Life = good.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

Picked up one of them yesterday, couldn't be arsed waiting for them to order in the 2i2...thought I was going to have a driver issue, still on xp, but just before I through my toys I swapped usb ports and it works like a treat!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Yep I was up and going in no time :-)