Hooray! A Recording! From MEEEEE!!!!

Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

RUDENBARK
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Hooray! A Recording! From MEEEEE!!!!

Post by RUDENBARK »

Better makes it clear from the outset - recorded this more to check out a new toy (more on that when I've had more of a fiddle with it) rather than to actually recording this song, so it's rough as guts (especially the very obvious hitting of a wrong note near the end, YIKES, lol), mostly definitely not a "final cut" or anything like that. But been keen to share stuff on here for ages so here ya go!
A Grateful Nod.mp3
It's one of those one track/one take jobbies, going through two stereo channels at once (technically four channels (?) with final two channel output); sounds a hell of a lot better live (ie through speakers as opposed to headphones or (this) recording), way more spacey and ambient (not as much of a "noisey" feel), but reckon the general concept/idea comes across okay here.

Came up with it just through mucking around and wasn't trying to play or sound like anything in particular; found an interesting sound and went with it to see what came up. But it so OBVIOUSLY sounds like several songs/artists (*sigh* start the list if you must, lol) that I'd be hard-pressed to call it coincidence, lol, so let's call it "sub-conscious inspiration". Thus the name - "A Grateful Nod" to the original masters of the sound.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: Hooray! A Recording! From MEEEEE!!!!

Post by Vince »

RUDENBARK wrote:Better makes it clear from the outset - recorded this more to check out a new toy (more on that when I've had more of a fiddle with it) rather than to actually recording this song, so it's rough as guts
LOL! Does everyone always say that? :lol: :lol:
RUDENBARK wrote: But it so OBVIOUSLY sounds like several songs/artists... Thus the name - "A Grateful Nod" to the original masters of the sound.
Yeah... but it's quite pleasant. Seeing as you mentioned "lists". It reminded me of Neil Young (the "Dead Man" OST). Then there was an Edge-sey bit, but most of all it reminded me of Vinnie Riley (??) from the Durutti Column (they had an album called "The Guitar and Other Machines" which was a bit like that)

Nice enough track though! :D Congratulations!
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

Vince wrote:
Yeah... but it's quite pleasant. Seeing as you mentioned "lists". It reminded me of Neil Young (the "Dead Man" OST). Then there was an Edge-sey bit, but most of all it reminded me of Vinnie Riley (??) from the Durutti Column (they had an album called "The Guitar and Other Machines" which was a bit like that)

Nice enough track though! :D Congratulations!
Really? Sweet, don't know "Dead Man" or Vinnie Riley, so those really ARE a coincidence, lol. Edge I'll just take as a compliment.

I thought (on reflection while I was coming up with it) that it was very much a rip-off (unintentionally!) of David Gilmour, especially Run Like Hell. Consciously had to change it a so it wasn't so similar, but you can still hear it.
Also got a bit of Army Of Anyone's "Disappear"; missus pointed that one out (to which I replied something like ".........aw farq, it IS that song isn't!", and then changed it a bit more, lol).
Although it doesn't sound like it, I really like what Tommy Immanuel did with "Initiation" and so have tried to play about with similar concepts of which this is one.

I really like playing stuff around open strings (which was why I would like go get the nut compensated on the electric - playing the same note on three adjacent strings sucks if the tuning isn't just so), got several songs that use it a fair bit, but this is probably the only share-worthy one at the mo'.
One complete one I've been playing as a solo acoustic, but it needs a mandolin and bongos to really finish it off, especially in the early part of the song where it sounds a bit empty to me (not quite as bad once it gets into the singing where the chords fill it out a bit more). Still, sounds pretty good imo even as is (just not to share online, lol), quite original, and I reckon I did an awesome job with the lyrics ('cause that's where I have the most trouble).
The other open-string song is still very much in development. It's a band song, in a similar vain I guess to Muse's "Time Is Running Out" (that's how I try to explain the style I'm trying to achieve with it anyway). The structure's all good, most of the lyrics are sorted. But as I haven't got a band to help me put it together I've left it on the back-burner for now, only really got the one guitar and singing for it thus far.
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

I like that. I can hear the nods ;) but I think it stands up well. Definitely worth keeping and developing/using. 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins