How do I make these guitars sound fatter?

Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

stuu
PRS McCarty
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: How do I make these guitars sound fatter?

Post by stuu »

tonymcbony wrote: I really need these guitars to be a lot chunkier and fatter.
See what you think
i think you need this: http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 47&t=17260
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Post by dayl »

I'm no pro as I too have a fair amount of trouble with mixing the gat, but it sounds like a lot of the loss of lower end comes from the mix. Gats seem lower in volume for a start and while the gats are hard panned etc, it seems like the kick and bass are not leaving much for the gats low end? maybe thats not the case and putting them up in the mix could help.

While this should normally be the last thing to try, a bit of eq may help for the lowend as well as the tinny sound peeps are talking of.

To you eq any of the other instruments? removing a few of the frequencies that are'nt needed can bring up that lower end

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

The guitars don't sound THAT thin to me.
You have quite a fat bass sound going on & I think the guitars compliment it.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

tonymcbony wrote:I really need these guitars to be a lot chunkier and fatter.
You could get my to do the guitar parts, I'm quite chunky and fat, maybe it'll come through on the record...?

Seriously though, agreed with the suggestion that the mic is too far away from the speaker. I have it about a cm from the grill cloth, at an angle, pointing towards the centre. Gives a nice, fat sound (so in essence, I've just told you that nearly touching cloth gives me a fatty).
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 563 times

Post by TmcB »

Just as an update, here's a track that has a bit more guts. I used quite a bit of the advice thus far and read up a bit.
No real EQ at all going on yet, hence stuff fights a little.

A bit more improvement though, which is nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

At work so cannot d/l but I find a mic close and one way back gives the best fatness. Also, amps sound less overdriven recorded...I always end up turning my drive settings up a few notches when recording to get the same level of impact I hear naturally.

When only one mic I always hacve it out front by the same 15cm you mention. Too close and lose some speaker harmonics. Well, that's my view anyway.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

bbrunskill wrote:There is a lot of things that can cause wimpy guitars. An SM58 can sound pretty huge, IMO.
However, 15cm is too far away, there's no bass at all from a 58 at that distance, due to the proximity effect.
So first off, get that mic right up to the grille, 2cm away is plenty. Then record a loop on your delay pedal, and listen through headphones while you move the mic to find a sweet spot.

If you fail to get the original sound recorded well, all the adding effects and pannng, ect, will not really be effective.

Multiple mics make a huge difference, but as you don't have any more channels, I can't really give much more advice.
Yeah 15cm seems quite far away.

Usually the mic is touching the grille cloth.

Also try experimenting with exactly where the mic is pointing. The centre of the cone is supposed to be bright and harsh, and nearer the outside darker, which might suit what you're after.
Nothing to see here.

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

The second track has a nice mix, alot of it is to do with mix.
Sometimes I triple guitar parts, lower the volume and pan them, but each time I double or triple, I slightly alter the tone.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Post by dayl »

nice, reallt caught my attention, spesh from 48sec.. got real cool.

The 'D' seems to be droning a bit ant the start. Big improvement maybe a lil too fat in places? that could be my current set up though and you dont want to battle the bass too much, though as you said, things are still happening, but I think you are getting it down.

Here is a resource I use that can help when it comes to visualizing where things sit in a mix.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn ... isplay.htm

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

tonymcbony wrote:Just as an update, here's a track that has a bit more guts. I used quite a bit of the advice thus far and read up a bit.
No real EQ at all going on yet, hence stuff fights a little.

A bit more improvement though, which is nice.
Total improvement ... I thought that sounded really clean though maybe the bass was a little high in the mix but the guitars sounded chunky. If you want more chunky, it will be in the way it's played (IMO).

The whole thing has a nice live feel to it too ... and I mean that as a good thing.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.