Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Help recording demo stuff

Post by Danger Mouse »

Calling all budding recordingists, I need your help.

I want to record a demo or two of my amp, much along the lines of what Zorran did for Ryan/CAB with the Splawn. Just one or two short pieces of music (guitars, bass and drums), perhaps a minute long or so, so I can have something a bit more polished than the 'bung a mic in front of an amp and play' stuff on the Greenstone site. Not that I don't like what Rob has got so far, just they aren't as well played as I would like (slightly drunk on the first attempt, nervously standing in front of a room of guitar players on the second), plus I would like to hear what the amp sounds like with an attempt at some decent production.

Ideally I'd need some drum programming done as well and as I'll be playing da brutalz metalz, it won't be 4/4 snare, kick, snare, kick etc so you'd have to be reasonably proficient. Also, access to some bass equipment (bass and bass pod etc) would be very useful, as I don't have anything.

Doesn't have to be York Street Studios quality, some nice home/bedroom studios out there, just more after someone who has the patience and time to go through the process of turning my hashed up riffs into something a little more professional.

Aucks pref, but could travel (Hams or similar). Also this is a paid gig, in beer, cash, sexual favours or what ever you want, if you're keen just let me know what you'd consider a reasonable rate for your time.

Chur.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Re: Help recording demo stuff

Post by dayl »

Man, I would like to help but I have just moved and my current set up just isn't suitable for this (for the meantime)

I can program drums fine well beyond the 4/4 box and as soon as I get a handle on my current setup, I should be able to assist with mixing etc.

In saying that, I know there are a few very well experienced peeps here that will hopefully put their hand up.

Give me a yell though, I'm in Aucks and do what I can.

Chur

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Time is my enemy but Im happy help if I can, are you after a specific drum/bass line or you want any to do the damage on top of?

Here is a quick drum ditty if you want to use it....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt_Demise
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Matt_Demise »

Hey man Ill help ya.
Send what you have to hummerandachickenfeed@gmail.com
Ill get it sounding nice and pro.

Cheers.
Matt

Matt_Demise
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Matt_Demise »

hmm My turbo eyes failed to read properly.
If you can make it to Palmerston North (like anyone would want to) , we have all the pro gears for recording and a studio.
Lol If you can record anything up there in some way I can mix and master what you have and do all your drum tracks.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

rob_on_guitar wrote:Time is my enemy but Im happy help if I can, are you after a specific drum/bass line or you want any to do the damage on top of?

Here is a quick drum ditty if you want to use it....
Cheers for the drum ditty man, I will definitely put that to good use. Only problem is that for what I want to do I really need bespoke patterns, or at least someone who really knows how to mess with drum sequencing programmes to get something that will fit with my riffs.
dayl wrote:Man, I would like to help but I have just moved and my current set up just isn't suitable for this (for the meantime)

I can program drums fine well beyond the 4/4 box and as soon as I get a handle on my current setup, I should be able to assist with mixing etc.

In saying that, I know there are a few very well experienced peeps here that will hopefully put their hand up.

Give me a yell though, I'm in Aucks and do what I can.

Chur

Bummer, sounds like you could have been perfect. I'll see if anyone else can do the whole lot, but if you're good with the drum programming, you could prove very useful still. Actually I see that as the hardest part, my riffs are just 4/4 and 3/4, but reasonably complex and so using standard patterns from something like Drumkits from Hell doesn't really work (or at least didn't when my brother tried).
Matt_Demise wrote:hmm My turbo eyes failed to read properly.
If you can make it to Palmerston North (like anyone would want to) , we have all the pro gears for recording and a studio.
Lol If you can record anything up there in some way I can mix and master what you have and do all your drum tracks.
Perfect! Except for... Palmy is just too far, would take ages for me to lug my gear down. Sounds like you could be good for mixing though, maybe for the drums... just need to find someone local with access to a reasonable recording set-up for the live amp recording.

Cheers all for the kind offers so far though...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

If the telecoms industry is treating you well enough, Zorran is your man for this kind of thing. No-one knows heavy like Zorran.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

ash wrote:If the telecoms industry is treating you well enough, Zorran is your man for this kind of thing. No-one knows heavy like Zorran.
Zorran is indeed the man, although getting him on this is kind of like asking Brian Eno to produce a 4 track demo of some songs for a covers band to get gigs with. Just kind of figured that he would be far too busy doing real work to have time to get involved in my little project.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Ask him. You might be surprised. and as Ash says, if Telecom is treating you well, feel free to give me a yell too. ;)

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Capt. Black wrote:Ask him. You might be surprised. and as Ash says, if Telecom is treating you well, feel free to give me a yell too. ;)
Ah yes, forgot you offer recording services... Hmmm. 8)

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

If you like, put a rhythm down to a click track and Im sure if I cant one of these guys can design a drum track for it.

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Zorran »

hehe bro what makes you think that this work is any less ''real'' than anything else :) tonal pursuits are something that interest me greatly.. i would love to help ya out with this man. give us an email at zorran at gmail and well go from there. pretty keen to check out your unique amp too man. i really liked the bellbird i played at ryans.. so im keen to see the other side of the greenstone spectrum.. especially tweaked by a real world metalhead! lemme know either way bro.. but yeah.. very interested in this :)
95 PRS McCarty, 97 PRS SAS, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Squier 20th Anniv Strat, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Jap Epi LP, Suhr/Joe Barden/BKPs.
Axe FX,Peterson Stroborack, Line 6 Echo Pro

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Zorran wrote:hehe bro what makes you think that this work is any less ''real'' than anything else :) tonal pursuits are something that interest me greatly.. i would love to help ya out with this man. give us an email at zorran at gmail and well go from there. pretty keen to check out your unique amp too man. i really liked the bellbird i played at ryans.. so im keen to see the other side of the greenstone spectrum.. especially tweaked by a real world metalhead! lemme know either way bro.. but yeah.. very interested in this :)

Wow, if it's something you're keen on doing, I'd love to work with you on this. I have much admiration for what you have done professionally, so I know I'll get a great result. Ok, will send an e-mail tonight and we can take it from there.

Much appreciated for the other offers of help though guys, I may need your services for other projects in the furture, so it's good to know what you can do.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

So... had the first session with Zorran this afternoon/evening. I just have to say, working with someone like him makes this such an awesome experience, not only is he a fine, fine engineer but he's also into the right kind of music, so I'm already stoked with where this is going. Did I mention he's a fine, fine engineer?

Did track 1 today, basically sorting out the arrangement and coming up with a few more riffs on the spot to make my usual random selection something slightly more coherent. We recorded everything using the Amp FX Ultra, which is quite frankly, incredible. I've promised not to post up the demo though and in fairness it's not what this exercise is about, but I'd actually be pretty happy with just today's cut.

Next step, recording the JSN880...