Moderator: Capt. Black

nightmare
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

New Songs For Winter....

Post by nightmare »

Hello people

Lately I've been working on a new solo EP.I've uploaded the whole thing onto myspace and facebook.It has 6 songs,4 are alternative/gothic rock and 2 are acoustic (which includes an acoustic cover of Pretending by HIM).

While I feel that I have still a long way to go in terms of songwriting and vocal ability,I am still very proud of how these songs turned out.I've been getting voice lessons for a few months now and I'm beginning to notice the difference.I'm happy with the end result on this EP,but I realise there's still lots of work to do to improve.I'm certain that if I begin to gig more often the songs will take a more evolved shape also.

My music may not be everyone's cup of tea,but I would regardless appreciate any constructive feedback/critisism.

http://www.myspace.com/samuelkeenmusic

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 045?ref=mf

Cheers
Samuel

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: New Songs For Winter....

Post by sambrowne »

Had a quick listen, from what I can hear you're getting better mate, especially vocally.

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

I thought the track 'I am yours' was the best track, keep at it man!

nightmare
Ashton
Ashton

Post by nightmare »

sambrowne wrote:Had a quick listen, from what I can hear you're getting better mate, especially vocally.
Thanks a lot.
rob_on_guitar wrote:I thought the track 'I am yours' was the best track, keep at it man!
Cheers,I'm really quite fond of that song actually.I thought it turned out pretty good and out of the electric songs it's my favourite.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

hey sam

it sounds like you are doing stuff that is quite similar to what I did in the late 90's early 2000, so I really like where you're at, keep it up.......

From what I hear I would say you need to double your vocals, then with one track artificially double it (by moving one track of a stereo mix (L or R) a fraction of a second) and add big reverb, hard pan them L and R and mix it really low to create a haunty depth.

Also with things like keyboards a really big reverb (hall type stuff mix the 70% or more) works really well to bring size to a mix
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

nightmare
Ashton
Ashton

Post by nightmare »

willow13 wrote:hey sam

it sounds like you are doing stuff that is quite similar to what I did in the late 90's early 2000, so I really like where you're at, keep it up.......

From what I hear I would say you need to double your vocals, then with one track artificially double it (by moving one track of a stereo mix (L or R) a fraction of a second) and add big reverb, hard pan them L and R and mix it really low to create a haunty depth.

Also with things like keyboards a really big reverb (hall type stuff mix the 70% or more) works really well to bring size to a mix
I've got 2 vocals tracks on each song.But it's more just 1 lead vocal and 1 backing vocal.I definitely like the sound of that vocal technique though and I will give it a try.

I'll give the big reverb a try as well with the keyboard tracks.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bocob
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bocob »

Definately improving alot man! I think in the HIM cover you should put reverb on the tracks to make it sound a little bigger :)

You're Improving vocally and your guitaring is too. Guitar tone sounds great and your mixing is real good man! Keep at it, you could even make some money on recording bands bro, the mixing is real good.

I also thought I am yours was quite an enjoyable song, I've only listened to that and the HIM cover so far :D

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

willow13 wrote:From what I hear I would say you need to double your vocals, then with one track artificially double it (by moving one track of a stereo mix (L or R) a fraction of a second) and add big reverb, hard pan them L and R and mix it really low to create a haunty depth.
Freaky. Just been trying that trick with the gat lately. Been trying to get a 'twin guitars' effect.
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

I'd like to hear you do some Joy Division dude, you could do a really mean Ian Curtis 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

nightmare
Ashton
Ashton

Post by nightmare »

jeremyb wrote:I'd like to hear you do some Joy Division dude, you could do a really mean Ian Curtis 8)
You really think so? I've only heard a few Joy Division songs but I love what I have heard,the obvious being 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'.I would love to cover that song actually.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

nightmare wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I'd like to hear you do some Joy Division dude, you could do a really mean Ian Curtis 8)
You really think so? I've only heard a few Joy Division songs but I love what I have heard,the obvious being 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'.I would love to cover that song actually.
Get unknown pleasures, I think you'll like it 8)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

nightmare
Ashton
Ashton

Post by nightmare »

jeremyb wrote:
nightmare wrote:
Get unknown pleasures, I think you'll like it 8)
It's a pretty good album.I'll have to give it a few more listens though.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

RUDENBARK wrote:Freaky. Just been trying that trick with the gat lately. Been trying to get a 'twin guitars' effect.
cool.....it's something I do a lot, esp on lead guitar tracks.....you just have to be careful not to nudge them to far because then the timing goes to hell
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be