Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

single vs multi-tracked guitars....demo

Post by Kloppsta »

So I was reading up on general guitar tracking / recording techniques and kept coming across a reoccurring theme. It seems all the peeps in the “know” swear by the technique of recording multiple “low gain” tracks for rhythm guitars, which somehow in turn, combine to create a bigger, and “gainier” sounding tone.

I realise of course that multi-tracking guitars has been an employed studio technique for many many years and I dare say ALL modern (rock + metal especially) rhythm guitar tracks are layered but I didn’t really understand why the individual tracks “should” be recorded at a lower gain and I also wasn’t sure when enough is enough when it comes to multi-tracking.

The general consensus for “big” sounding dirty rhythm guitars is Quad Tracking. Ok, so 4 tracks recorded individually is somehow going to sound WAY better than a single track? I wasn’t sold…I figured, yeah, it would be “louder” wouldn’t it? But how could 4 “low gain” tracks turn into a “high gain” tone?

Sooooo…..experiment time! I busted out one of the 6-string flock, tuned her up, plugged her into my interface and opened up Reaper.

**warning** - this wasn’t an experiment on how tight I could record a track so please excuse the sloppiness. I just did 1 take of each track, regardless of flubs.

I dialled up a very basic tone in Guitar Rig 5, not using anything fancy. Just a boost (OD808) into a Boogie (Dual Rec model) into a 4x12 (V30) cab model. I ran the gain VERY low (it will still sound very gainy to most folks, but it is far less gain than I would normally dial up if playing live)

Opened a new track and started jamming on the first thing that my fingers felt like playing, a basic little riff, but suits the purpose of this experiment….don’t judge me! Haha
Anyway, so below is the link to the single recorded track. The only post processing is a basic EQ with a cut of everything below 30Hz, a 2db boost at 220Hz and a 1db boost at 1K.

**FOR BEST EFFECT, LISTEN ON DECENT SPEAKERS**

https://soundcloud.com/craig-klopper/riff-single

Pretty MEH sounding!!!

Then I recorded 3 more tracks. All the same amp. I panned the first 2 tracks hard left and right and the second 2 tracks 75% L and R respectively. I fiddled around a little bit with the treble, presence and mids on the guitar sound of the 3rd and 4th track, just to get a slightly crispier sound for those two tracks, but I didn’t touch the gain.
When I clicked play and all 4 tracks started playing together I was blown away! Sounded SO much bigger, way more gainier and just made the single tracked guitar sound anaemic!

https://soundcloud.com/craig-klopper/riff-quad

So yeah, tl;dr…..moral of the story……multi tracked guitars sound way better! I think the main reason you run the gain low on each track is that its cumulative when they are all played together and the small differences between each track with timing, helps create a “smear” effect and you get that “wall of sound” thing going on. If each track was recorded at higher gain levels it would be easy to turn the mix into mush and lose all definition.

Cool to put something basic like this into practice and hear the results so clearly! :)
Last edited by Kloppsta on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Little by little, by hook or by crook

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: single vs multi-tracked guitars....demo

Post by slash-ed »

Wow. That IS cool. Thanks for that. Listening to the 4x track, you'd never think that it came from that first guitar tone.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

https://soundcloud.com/craig-klopper

Your links didn't work for me. Did you listen to double tracked vs quad? I usually at least do a double track but use more gain than your single.
Last edited by Scooter13 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

slash-ed wrote:Wow. That IS cool. Thanks for that. Listening to the 4x track, you'd never think that it came from that first guitar tone.
yeah, when i hit play the first time with all 4 tracks together i thought my ears were playing tricks on me! yet somehow, those 4 individual "low gain" tracks combine to make something pretty "heavy" sounding. :)

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

Scooter13 wrote:https://soundcloud.com/craig-klopper

Your links didn't work. Did you listen to double tracked vs quad? I usually at least do a double track but use more gain than your single.
oh weird?! they are the direct links that soundcloud give when i click "share", and they are set to public, plus they work for me, so not sure whats going on sorry! are you able to get to them by going to my main "profile" page?

tbh i didnt even bother trying a double track. i just went straight to quad as that's what "most" of the forums i was reading said to do. will try a double track and maybe bump the gain up a tad to make up for the lost extra 2 tracks :)

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Yeah, the link I posted worked. Soundcloud just gave me some error when i clicked yours... :P
Sounded great though ay.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I remember doing multi tracks after hearing zakk did four tracks for no more tears ..... I thought if it sounds that big with for what would 8 sound like?? so I did 4 doubled tracks for each channel ....... it sounded awful :rofl: and actually started to get really thin sounding. Now I do one track with artificial doubling per channel and then a centre track of a second guitar (so 5 tracks all up but you only physically play 3)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

looks like mono to me

but also I completely agree. Love triple/quad tracking riffs/rhythm parts, makes em sound huge
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Kloppsta wrote:Then I recorded 3 more tracks. All the same amp. I panned the first 2 tracks hard left and right and the second 2 tracks 75% L and R respectively.
Check your output and/or upload settings, the quad file is mono.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

Yip, meant to be mono. Its a mono source. The 4 tracks were rendered to mono.

zedhed71
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 11 times

Post by zedhed71 »

I think that someone is trying to kill me,infecting my body,destroying my mind.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

zedhed71 wrote:I think that someone is trying to kill me,infecting my body,destroying my mind.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Kloppsta wrote:Yip, meant to be mono. Its a mono source. The 4 tracks were rendered to mono.
Then why pan them?

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

Timi wrote:
Kloppsta wrote:Yip, meant to be mono. Its a mono source. The 4 tracks were rendered to mono.
Then why pan them?
I figured since the tracks were recorded mono that even if I rendered / summed the 4 tracks into a single mono track, the panning that I had done would be barely detecable from a “stereo” spread point of view.
I.e. Since the source tracks were mono and tone of each track was near identical, the panning served to create a “spread” that would be captured in the mono track after rendering. Had each guitar track been recorded with a very different tone I would imagine the panning would have been much more obvious. I probably have my wires severly crossed….I am a NOOB. Put another way, when I played the original file in Reaper (with the 4 individual tracks all panned) and compared it to the renderd mono WAV file, from where I was sitting I could not hear a difference in the overall tone. I figured the test was to show the difference between 1 “low gain” guitar track compared to 4 “low gain” guitar tracks recorded individually and played together. The result, 1 BIG sounding guitar track that seems to have MUCH more “gain” in the tone than what each indivual track was recorded with, showing the cumulitive gain effect if that makes ANY sense whatsoever! haha

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 255 times

single vs multi-tracked guitars....demo

Post by Capt. Black »

The test is a great example of what you're trying to demonstrate!

Don't worry about panning if it is gonna end up mono.
Having said that, later in the process/progress, it is a good idea to listen to your stereo panned mix in mono to make sure important parts of the mix are not being cancelled out. Or that some levels aren't way out of whack.

Good work otherwise.