druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

post-rock demos

Post by druz15 »

So I've been jamming a lot with an ex workmate and we've formed something of an unofficial post-rock two piece. We've been jamming every week or so and recording the whole rehearsal, and then I'll chop through the recordings and lift out the good stuff to write some music on GuitarPro6.

Last week was the first time we really got anything together that sounded more coherent and less like two dudes jamming. The songs are a bit long and there is a bit of timing issues due to the structures not being nailed down firmly yet and us still needing a bit of practise with playing along to loops, but all in all I think it's sounding pretty cool.

I'd love it if some of the dudes on here would have time to give a bit of it a listen and tell me what you think/share any pointers.
Looking at you Mogwaiboy but also any dudes into post-rock/post-metal doomy ambient stuff too.

http://soundcloud.com/drewhandcock/sets ... -adventure

We've toyed with finding someone to play bass as well (and still kind of think about it every now and then) but also like the restrictions that being a two piece brings. I also think it will generally be a bit more impressive to watch live as a two piece, it's not particularly technical or skilfully played music so we need something going for us haha.

Inspired by lots of Russian Circles, Mogwai, little bit of Explosions and things like Pelican/Isis etc too.
thanks in advance
Last edited by druz15 on Mon May 26, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 566 times

Re: post-rock demos

Post by TmcB »

druz15 wrote:So I've been jamming a lot with an ex workmate and we've formed something of an unofficial post-rock two piece. We've been jamming every week or so and recording the whole rehearsal, and then I'll chop through the recordings and lift out the good stuff to write some music on GuitarPro6.

Last week was the first time we really got anything together that sounded more coherent and less like two dudes jamming. The songs are a bit long and there is a bit of timing issues due to the structures not being nailed down firmly yet and us still needing a bit of practise with playing along to loops, but all in all I think it's sounding pretty cool.

I'd love it if some of the dudes on here would have time to give a bit of it a listen and tell me what you think/share any pointers.
Looking at you Mogwaiboy but also any dudes into post-rock/post-metal doomy ambient stuff too.

https://soundcloud.com/drewhandcock/set ... -adventure

We've toyed with finding someone to play bass as well (and still kind of think about it every now and then) but also like the restrictions that being a two piece brings. I also think it will generally be a bit more impressive to watch live as a two piece, it's not particularly technical or skilfully played music so we need something going for us haha.

Inspired by lots of Russian Circles, Mogwai, little bit of Explosions and things like Pelican/Isis etc too.
thanks in advance
Arrr, there be no tunes!

As a member of a post-rock band that has been recording whole jams, I'm interested how you pieced the "good" bits together; our main, massive issue is that we're great at jamming but shit at actually making songs. Which seems the opposite of other bands I've been in.
Last edited by TmcB on Mon May 26, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

should be fixed now. Soundcloud has been acting weird lately for me so let me know if it's still no good.

We found it really hard at first Tony, but what I basically did was just listen for the main good melodic ideas, tab them out and then kind of write stuff over/around that on GP6. When I'm jamming I'll just noodle over loops and whatnot, and sometimes it sounds awesome, other times it's so loud I can't even hear if the notes I'm playing sound good or not, which is why It's good to record and listen back haha.

Did I mention it's loud (running my plexi at about half on the MV, and a 200W Orange Bass head into two 4x12s, in my living room haha)

Another way I can piece bits together is even taking bits from other jams and stitching them into an existing song. I play mostly in drop C so a lot of stuff by nature ends up in c minor or major, so a lot of it works well together with a feel/tempo change to fit it into an existing idea

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

druz15 wrote:should be fixed now. Soundcloud has been acting weird lately for me so let me know if it's still no good.

Nope, that Souncloud's not working for me.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

druz15 wrote:should be fixed now. Soundcloud has been acting weird lately for me so let me know if it's still no good.

We found it really hard at first Tony, but what I basically did was just listen for the main good melodic ideas, tab them out and then kind of write stuff over/around that on GP6. When I'm jamming I'll just noodle over loops and whatnot, and sometimes it sounds awesome, other times it's so loud I can't even hear if the notes I'm playing sound good or not, which is why It's good to record and listen back haha.

Did I mention it's loud (running my plexi at about half on the MV, and a 200W Orange Bass head into two 4x12s, in my living room haha)

Another way I can piece bits together is even taking bits from other jams and stitching them into an existing song. I play mostly in drop C so a lot of stuff by nature ends up in c minor or major, so a lot of it works well together with a feel/tempo change to fit it into an existing idea
Still not going for me either.

Yeah, I think I just need to sit down down with all the tracks and chop the dross out, then see what the gems are.

Heh, yeah, I have an AD200b pointed at my head as well, and my twin's volume is set without care. Have you looked into midi options for your timeline btw? I just got one and it's blowing my mind. I think I'd like to be able to access the looper a bit easier.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7757 times
Been liked: 4194 times

Post by jeremyb »

Security setting maybe? it says the playlist has no tracks :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

jeremyb wrote:Security setting maybe? it says the playlist has no tracks :(
Yep, that's the message I get, too.
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3508 times
Been liked: 719 times

Post by Cdog »

bro it no worky for me neither

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

TmcB wrote:

Still not going for me either.

Yeah, I think I just need to sit down down with all the tracks and chop the dross out, then see what the gems are.

Heh, yeah, I have an AD200b pointed at my head as well, and my twin's volume is set without care. Have you looked into midi options for your timeline btw? I just got one and it's blowing my mind. I think I'd like to be able to access the looper a bit easier.
Ah yes for some reason each track was private. Should be going now.

Yeah timeline is amazing so much fun to be had. Haven't really thought about midi for the looper, won't use it much tbh as I have an akai head rush and RC3 also on the board.

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

druz15 wrote: Ah yes for some reason each track was private. Should be going now.

Yeah timeline is amazing so much fun to be had. Haven't really thought about midi for the looper, won't use it much tbh as I have an akai head rush and RC3 also on the board.
Sweet, working now.

You've got a Bigsky too, right?

Check this out, if only for easier bank switching on both.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txKnWrIeLyg[/youtube]

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Also, that second song is very Russian Circles in a good way with the looped tapping motif.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by druz15 »

TmcB wrote: You've got a Bigsky too, right?

Check this out, if only for easier bank switching on both.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txKnWrIeLyg[/youtube]
Yeah Bigsky is great too.
Will have to watch that clip tonight, don't have any room on board for more stuff anyway haha
TmcB wrote:Also, that second song is very Russian Circles in a good way with the looped tapping motif.
Ha cheers yeah that one is very RC inspired.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Worth the wait. I'm really enjoying listening to that.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

mike
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mike »

Sounds great, but a percussionist, bass and a synth would add a whole new dimension...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7757 times
Been liked: 4194 times

Post by jeremyb »

Really needs a vocal :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.