Moderator: Capt. Black

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Live Recording Advice

Post by The Scarecrow »

So, band is going to be recording a 4-track EP in August. Plan is to live-track everything all at once and add vocals after. We have gone down the multi-tracking approach before, but find the result doesn't really capture the live sound we have i.e. sounds sterile.

Realise there are some obvious disadvantages to live recording like bleeding sound, timing etc (drummer has been working to a click at practice and we have been all playing to it via the PA as late.) but just wanting hear from anyone else who has done this and what worked.

Been wondering about compressors for guitars/bass; we don't really use them (bassist does) althouh I have one on my multi-FX. Been thinking it might tighten stuff up a bit?

We only have a 1k-1200 budget all up for recording, mixing and possibly physical copies, so that's why we're looking to do live before anyone else suggests otherwise.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Live Recording Advice

Post by sopachrga »

I'll be honest... I don't like your chance of getting results you are happy with for that budget.

My low budget suggestion which is probably still going to stretch your budget, would have been to multi track, but only do the drums at the studio.

You could set up amps in another room, get them mic'd up and sent to your drummers headphones.
That should help with the live feel. Then you can just do your guitars/bass and vocals at home.

I'm assuming you have a decent interface on your computer. Maybe spend $100 to hire a nice Preamp for the vocals.

A day in the studio will use $1000 then hire of a preamp will use a bit.
Mixing...either do it your self if capable. Otherwise, sit on the tracks for a month and save a few hundred to pay someone.

I don't know what your goal is for the tracks. But I can't see how you could get radio ready tracks out of this. You called it an EP, so I'm assuming you are looking to sell this and maybe get a single or two on it?
Ummm....

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

sopachrga wrote: I don't know what your goal is for the tracks. But I can't see how you could get radio ready tracks out of this. You called it an EP, so I'm assuming you are looking to sell this and maybe get a single or two on it?
Probably should clarify, this is not for radio. Can't be bothered with that as we're not a radio-friendly sound (too screamy). It's really just glorified decent demos we can sell for a buck or two at shows.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Ah ok. Cool.
Well the suggestion above still works if you wanted to get slightly better quality with out going miles over your budget.
Ummm....

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

sopachrga wrote:Ah ok. Cool.
Well the suggestion above still works if you wanted to get slightly better quality with out going miles over your budget.
cool man, i appreciate your thoughts. we're basically in a position where myself and the drummer have other recording going on with other bands we play for, so budget stretched thin (isn't it always) at present, but some really good songs lately, so wanting to capture the magic whilst we can.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Live Recording Advice

Post by Eruera »

I had acceptable results cutting a live recording but it took a lot of work in the mix to get it sounding ok, but the band was pretty sloppy. A key issue I came across was noise, it seems much more difficult to clean up love tracks wit all teh bleed n shiz

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

The Scarecrow wrote:Realise there are some obvious disadvantages to live recording like bleeding sound, timing etc (drummer has been working to a click at practice and we have been all playing to it via the PA as late.
I've made heaps of records that were recorded live with vocal overdubs, and a few totally live in one room. With careful placement in the room bleed shouldn't be an issue, it can actually help to add depth but if you feel you want to totally isolate stuff you could put amps in a different room or record direct with amp sims then reamp later. If you do this just be careful with strumming noise during cymbal ringouts as they won't be masked by the amp in the room.

As for timing, the whole band (or just the drummer) could play to a click if you want to, but this might lead you back to the sterile sound/feel you had multitracking.
The Scarecrow wrote:Been wondering about compressors for guitars/bass; we don't really use them (bassist does) althouh I have one on my multi-FX. Been thinking it might tighten stuff up a bit?
If you're wondering then I'd leave that for the engineer, which is kinda the key here, you need to find a good engineer which will be tough with your budget.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

Hey bro, i have some decent quality recording gear. I would be more than happy to come down to the basement to record you guys live.

Where you planning on recording instruments live and overdubbing vocals, or recording the whole live "mix" so to speak all at once?

My audio interface has 14 ins but only 2 built in mic-pres. i could easily take a feed from a seperate mixer or mic-pre for drums etc. I have 2 good quality mic's but to do a “proper” job I would need access to some more mics and the aforementioned mixer/mic pre’s.

I use a PC to record at home so it can be quite cumbersome / annoying to move around. If anyone in your band has a decent laptop I could always install a copy of my DAW on their laptop and do the recording on that.

Anyway, just an option for you. Pretty sure we could get decent results. Only thing is if you decide to want to give it a crack I would need some advanced noticed to arrange my life....got other prioroties i have to consider these days :wink: :D
Little by little, by hook or by crook

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

DI/silent record the guitars/bass and reamp everything one by one later, that way you don't get everything bleeding into everything.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

I have some excellent preamps, compressors and mics that I could hire out for mates' rates.

I've had excellent results tracking a band in one room, but the key thing was that we were able to experiment with the setup before committing to anything. As Timi said, careful setup is key, and having a decent engineer will maximise your chances of getting something out of it that you're happy with.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Thanks guys, this is all good. We have an engineer who were are working with who seems to have a good handle for this kind of approach.

Craig - I would actually be keen at some stage to record some basic live room demos if you are keen, will work around the mrs/junior schedule!

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

I'm looking at it this way. You're a live band, right? You want to pawn some CDs off to your listeners at your shows, right? Sounds like you want to give them a taste of your band "live." Maybe give this some thought.

Tight mic your cabs.
Use the Glynn Johns drum mic method (below).
Plan on some type of baffles to get some kind of isolation (especially for the drummer).
Place two mics in the room for ambiance.
Go for it. Overdub your vocals later as you stated.

Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Sustainz wrote:I'm looking at it this way. You're a live band, right? You want to pawn some CDs off to your listeners at your shows, right? Sounds like you want to give them a taste of your band "live." Maybe give this some thought.

Tight mic your cabs.
Use the Glynn Johns drum mic method (below).
Plan on some type of baffles to get some kind of isolation (especially for the drummer).
Place two mics in the room for ambiance.
Go for it. Overdub your vocals later as you stated.

This has pretty much nailed how we are trying to go. :thumbup:

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

The Scarecrow wrote:Thanks guys, this is all good. We have an engineer who were are working with who seems to have a good handle for this kind of approach.

Craig - I would actually be keen at some stage to record some basic live room demos if you are keen, will work around the mrs/junior schedule!
sweet as bro, just hit me up.

was thinking, if you guys picked up one of these on the cheap second hand from the states or something and chucked it in the middle of the room you can actually get some very decent results!! - http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h6
Little by little, by hook or by crook

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Live Recording Advice

Post by dc »

We recorded our album live in the studio, including vocals. We tried the start with drums and layer approach but hated it.
There's a few solos added and a bit of layering. We're really happy with it.