StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Re: Can you tell these Tele's apart?

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Id like to hear a convincing explanation of how wood effects tone in an electric guitar. Acoustically yes, but through an amp?
A string with one end contacting a bone nut, the other contacting a brass saddle vibrates and produces current in a copper coil wrapped round a magnet, the output of which is then fed to a amplifier circuit which returns it to vibrations through a speaker. To me I cant see how wood can make any but the very smallest contribution to what that magnet sees waving above it :lol:
Wood looks nice, feels nice in the hands and has longevity. But radical influence on electric tone?? Im not sure.
I can see how the nut and the saddle could deaden or liven the sound based on material ie: brass vs steel but not the wood supporting it all.
Perhaps sustain, if the whole guitar gets its own harmonic frequency, but then that would limit its contribution to exactly that, the resonant frequency of the whole system and not each individual note.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

i'm looking more native now.
Were you the one who liked my Kanuka necks?

I'd say go for it, beautiful, pinkyish, stable, dense, easy to work with timber. Don't even need a truss rod. Manuka will probably be just fine as well.

Haven't used Rimu yet, but plenty of others have, not sure what it would sound like though.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Id like to hear a convincing explanation of how wood effects tone in an electric guitar. Acoustically yes, but through an amp?
It is a science in its own...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bTO4lT0Zwg[/youtube]

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Painfully slow explanation made worse by some pretty average scientific method. At one point I think he lost consciousness briefly then carried on from where he left like a bee in a freezer.
Really, all that shows is that strings transmit vibrations to and from the guitar body, I get that, there is no doubt they do that. Is it possible that different woods act as gates to different frequencies ie: soaking up highs or lows? I suppose so.
I could see that wood could effect sustain as it's vibration may reinforce the fretted string vibration prolonging the decay in energy, but actual ' tone' I'm still not convinced.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

I believe I can hear differences, but it's not scientific or quantifiable.
"I could see that wood could effect sustain as it's vibration may reinforce the fretted string vibration prolonging the decay in energy, but actual ' tone' I'm still not convinced."

You're probably right there; when I say 'listening to the wood', it's about characteristics rather than tone. My Korina Tele is a little brash, quite loud acoustically and it just rings forever. My Ash Strat is both bright and warm and very sweet sounding, but somewhat buzzy when distorted.

Mahogany on an acoustic gives the high frequencies a beautiful tinkle. Rosewood is powerful and forward with slightly scooped mids. Maple is snappy and fast and really punches notes out. Etc. etc.

There's so many variables though.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

:clap:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Has the Zombie Apocalypse begun?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

by slowfingers » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:16 am
Has the Zombie Apocalypse begun?
Looking at the time you posted - Yes;

Fascinating and riveting video not?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jvpp wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mH5hwLkxCI[/youtube]
:shock: shit I only got to 3.35 (the bit where he had no idea what a duncan design pick up was :? ) and decided I was better off watching some paint dry :rofl: don't think I have every heard a more boring delivery than that...

I did skip through though and am I the only one who "heard" a big difference between the sound of the squire and the particle board thing????...one had zing and the other was dull and lifeless, well to me any way. It appeared that he was basing everything on the computer generated graphic waveforms ?? or did I miss the bit where he used his "EARS" to tell a difference

anyway mental note NEVER buy a guitar from that dude :rofl: :rofl: ... should add I think the wood may contribute a small % to the overtones of a guitar

yes zombie apocalypse indeed
jvpp wrote:

Fascinating and riveting video not?
Not :crazy: :crazy:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Thought it was about the only half way near decent attempt at looking at this with some scientific method. Still, one needs double blinding and standardized string strike ie by a machine.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Thought it was about the only half way near decent attempt at looking at this with some scientific method. Still, one needs double blinding and standardized string strike ie by a machine.
True, but avoiding the only test that really means anything: Does this guitar in my hands inspire me/make me want to play more, or not?

As Metallica says, Nothing Else Matters. :D

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jay »

Thought it was about the only half way near decent attempt at looking at this with some scientific method. Still, one needs double blinding and standardized string strike ie by a machine.
There's a follow up video as well which perhaps addresses that aspect??

I can't post it from work as youtube is prohibited surfing...

Bet it will be more riveting than this one :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

I reckon the Korina one is my favourite, the fender sounds very lifeless in comparison to the other two!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

slowfingers wrote: the only test that really means anything: Does this guitar in my hands inspire me/make me want to play more, or not?
That the real deal. If it feels right, whatever it has on the headstock, whatever its made from, wherever it was made etc, is irrelevant (as long as the colour is to your taste). ;)
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...