Going to the States and UK over Christmas...advice?

Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: Going to the States and UK over Christmas...advice?

Post by JHorner »

Another 2 months (July, August) in the guitar shop free zone (except for the pawn shop) that is Crawley

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Even the local Guitar Center will have deals like we do not see here often. I went to Canton GC ouside of Detroit. Just their used electric guitar section alone had enough to make eyes water for those who trawl the trade me guitar section. Guitar Center has a national network of shops and all their used gear in a database you can search, so if you have time you can get something shipped to where you are staying if nothing local takes your fancy.

GC also has great deals on new gear.

Best prices for new gear I saw in USA was American Musical Company.

Another thing I noticed is that all the major retail chains pretty much carry all the major brands, so there is pricing wars going on to a certain extent.

Reverb.com is the other place to check if you have time to wait for something to be shipped. Shipping inside USA is fast and from my experience very reliable (lots and lots of Amazon purchases while over there with the ex). Mostly shops and pro traders listing on Reverb. Feedback system like TM, so you can kind of tell who you are dealing with.

Craigslist is a bit more tricky and hard to search listings, because they are by state and county, of which there are 1000s. Lots of scammers on Craigslist too. My ex had several a day calling her wanting her to take cheques when she had furniture listed. I would not do Craigslist without some real experience of USA tbh. Lots of crooks. Locals know how to spot them in the listings and by what they ask on the phone. Scams we here in NZ know nothing about.

One or two used gats will not usually attract the attention of customs here. I have taken gats thru a few times now. No issues.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Bg wrote:a 3 year holiday :)
Nope - just a dredge of a 3 year old thread. Although looking at other comments maybe we should have a "places you must go" thread for reference.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Delayman wrote:
Nope - just a dredge of a 3 year old thread. Although looking at other comments maybe we should have a "places you must go" thread for reference.
yes, I'd realised that ;) right after the spam dredge ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

fuck doh. did not check the date. waste of ten minutes. advice I gave for USA is still pretty current if anybody is actually going there. Lol.

back to pizza making. Tuesdays is pizza day.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Bg wrote:
Delayman wrote:
Spam? hmmm I read it as heart-felt advice. I am too trusting...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

HackSaw wrote:
Bg wrote:
Delayman wrote:
Spam? hmmm I read it as heart-felt advice. I am too trusting...
well yes, me too, I only just edited it. Meant too earlier today but never got around to it ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Well I am still going going to go to that club and drink champagne while some piece of British (who am I kidding, Eastern European) crumpet sits on my lap...

...says my imagination. Reality is I will be going to Harrods with the missus to by some stupid fucking teapot or something. :)

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

I'm heading straight to greggs
:mental: