Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7752 times
Been liked: 4189 times

Re: 1 Minute Song Challenge

Post by jeremyb »

I found for my noobness that playing over a drum beat helped a lot, trying to sync up drums to a track thats outta time was a bit pants :lol: What I did on my second clip was create one of the default drum tracks in garageband and stretched it out for a minute and then play over the top trying to get something that worked in with it, worked much better for me as I don't know shit about drumming :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

jeremyb wrote:I found for my noobness that playing over a drum beat helped a lot, trying to sync up drums to a track thats outta time was a bit pants :lol: What I did on my second clip was create one of the default drum tracks in garageband and stretched it out for a minute and then play over the top trying to get something that worked in with it, worked much better for me as I don't know shit about drumming :)
That sounds like a better approach. I was recording with a mix of headphones for guitar and laptop speakers for the drums or loop playback. The other difficulty I encountered was that I realised I have utterly no idea how to play over chords, whether it be layering notes over it or soloing or whatever. :oops:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I found for my noobness that playing over a drum beat helped a lot, trying to sync up drums to a track thats outta time was a bit pants :lol: What I did on my second clip was create one of the default drum tracks in garageband and stretched it out for a minute and then play over the top trying to get something that worked in with it, worked much better for me as I don't know shit about drumming :)
That sounds like a better approach. I was recording with a mix of headphones for guitar and laptop speakers for the drums or loop playback. The other difficulty I encountered was that I realised I have utterly no idea how to play over chords, whether it be layering notes over it or soloing or whatever. :oops:
You using the HD500? cause you can set that as your audio output and then the drum tracks will come thru your headphones :) HA! Yep, know the feeling, this trying to make music thing gives you an appreciation of how hard it actually is, both technically and creatively!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

In my song above, I found the tempo I wanted to play at, and recorded a rough take to a click track. Then went and found a drum loop that fitted over my riff, by way of looping my riff, and trawling through ez drummer at the same time. It's partly a case of knowing the style and feel of drumming I want, and then listening to what feels right and has the right accents in the right places.
Once I find the drum loop I like, I drop it in to the track and then re-record the guitars over it. I find that while my timing with the click track is fine, it sounds more natural if I play to the drum loop. Unsure if that's because of the EZ drummer algorithms for making it sound more "natural" or what.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

jeremyb wrote:
hamo wrote:
You using the HD500? cause you can set that as your audio output and then the drum tracks will come thru your headphones :) HA! Yep, know the feeling, this trying to make music thing gives you an appreciation of how hard it actually is, both technically and creatively!!
Oh right, sweet. 8)
Scooter13 wrote:In my song above, I found the tempo I wanted to play at, and recorded a rough take to a click track. Then went and found a drum loop that fitted over my riff, by way of looping my riff, and trawling through ez drummer at the same time. It's partly a case of knowing the style and feel of drumming I want, and then listening to what feels right and has the right accents in the right places.
Once I find the drum loop I like, I drop it in to the track and then re-record the guitars over it. I find that while my timing with the click track is fine, it sounds more natural if I play to the drum loop. Unsure if that's because of the EZ drummer algorithms for making it sound more "natural" or what.
Cool. Am I limited by using the Lite version of EZ Drummer? Will that stop me exporting to something like Reaper? Is that even how it works?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

In reaper from memory you just add it to the plugins if it doesn't find it automatically and then you can just add a track and drag and drop the ezdrummer loops into it, heaps of good tutorials on youtube tho' :)

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

jeremyb wrote:In reaper from memory you just add it to the plugins if it doesn't find it automatically and then you can just add a track and drag and drop the ezdrummer loops into it, heaps of good tutorials on youtube tho' :)
Oh cool. Yeah, for some reason I always forget to look for a tutorial. :oops:

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Very nice Ben!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:Very nice Ben!
yep very cool ... thats a long 1 minute though :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

No idea if this will work but here goes...my brain hurts

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

calling card wrote:No idea if this will work but here goes...my brain hurts

Nice!!

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Here's my go for now
One minute bolt.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by calling card »

Sweet, it's a celebration of our diversity. What's your rig rundown?