Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Help with getting started in home recording

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Ok, I'm really keen to get into some home recording, but I know nothing, and what I'm reading on the interweb is making my head spin... :crazy: I need some help!

Seems the first things I need are an audio interface and some DAW software. Looks like there are lots of options... I don't need anything flash. Initially, I'm just going to be recording myself, one track at a time. I have a PC with specs that weren't bad 5 years ago, but it is starting to show its age. An upgrade in the reasonably near future is probably on the cards, and I might consider jumping to a Mac. First question, would a Mac be significantly better for this stuff? It would open up Logic as an option, right? How significant is that?

Assuming I stick with PC, which DAW software do people like? I'm kind of drawn to Pro Tools, and repelled at the same time... Pros: I've actually heard of it; Cons: seems awfully pricey. I kind of like the look of the audio interface packages you can get that come bundled with an express version of PT, like the Fast Track solo/duo. But is that just a 'crippleware' version that is going to sucker me into buying PT 11 or 12 before I can think twice?

I'm also looking at interfaces on Trade Me. There is a Sennheiser UR22 with a start price of $100, and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 on $1 reserve that is currently up to $51. Are these sound start-up options, and if so, what is a fair used price?

That is about as far as I've got, but any and all advice would be appreciated!!!

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: Help with getting started in home recording

Post by Kris »

i use reaper for my DAW.its easy,and nagware.So for as long as you can put up with the nag screen,it wont cost you anything.However a license is cheap (i renewed mine the other day-cost 80 usd).you are only starting so PT is perhaps a little steep of a learning curve given you wont even scratch half of the features as you go.
You dont mention what you are recording-if it is you just doing your own songs a simple 2 channel usb interface will be fine.Other wise if you are looking to track multiple mics/instruments you'll have to look at some thing bigger with more grunt-which will mean your computer will have to reflect that as well.

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

2nd vote for reaper. And the Scarlett 2i4. Your 5 yr old pc should be fine for recording - alltho if your running vista it can take a bit of work to get things stable.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I would suggest not buying Pro Tools unless you a) know it already, or b) want to become a recording engineer or get into film and tv sound. (I've been using it extensively since the late 90s so I'm actually a dyed-in-the-wool Pro Tools fanboi). The Express version is actually pretty good though.

Best bet would be to get Reaper, a basic audio interface, a microphone (and stand and cable) and some headphones and then just get stuck in with your existing computer. A Mac is only really better if you like using Macs, and/or want to use Logic (which I think is really excellent BTW).
Kris wrote:you are only starting so PT is perhaps a little steep of a learning curve given you wont even scratch half of the features as you go.
Just to add my 2c- I think PT actually has less of a learning curve than almost any other DAW software, until you start getting quite deep into it. The basic recording functionality is the most like a tape machine of almost any that I've tried. IMO, YMMV etc etc. If you want really steep, try learning Fairlight!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

People tend to complain about the inputs clipping on those scarletts with hot pickups or if you're running pedals into it, the fix is to use a DI before it, or just buy a different interface ;)

But otherwise you're on the right track, I just use garageband on my mac, great for getting ideas down, rest of the band use reaper which seems fully featured etc...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

The great thing about Reaper is that you can give it a decent try without actually spending a cent.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

I'll add a vote for Reaper if you stay with the PC. Though two years ago after spending a lifetime hating on Mac, I made the switch. Plugging my M-Audio fast track pro into the PC involved downloading all sorts of drivers to find one that worked, configuring ASIO and all sorts of pain in the arse set up. Plugging it into the Mac, involved plugging it in and it working. I still see the good in both PC and Mac, but if you're a lazy sod like me, I'd get the Mac. Also Logic is nice, and Mainstage for 30 or 40 bucks or whatever is great for just jamming. Both come with a decent enough set of effects/amp models, but eventually you'll want to look at Scuffham or Bias etc... (Assuming you aren't micing everything)

Can't add much on the interfaces - I've only used the M-Audio.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

In terms of interfaces, there are a gazillion out there. My favourites are the newer Focusrite, MOTU and RME (the last one is great sounding, but farking expensive). All three of those brands have great driver support and are rock solid (at least IME)

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:Ok, I'm really keen to get into some home recording, but I know nothing, and what I'm reading on the interweb is making my head spin... :crazy: I need some help!

Seems the first things I need are an audio interface and some DAW software. Looks like there are lots of options... I don't need anything flash. Initially, I'm just going to be recording myself, one track at a time. I have a PC with specs that weren't bad 5 years ago, but it is starting to show its age. An upgrade in the reasonably near future is probably on the cards, and I might consider jumping to a Mac. First question, would a Mac be significantly better for this stuff? It would open up Logic as an option, right? How significant is that?

Assuming I stick with PC, which DAW software do people like? I'm kind of drawn to Pro Tools, and repelled at the same time... Pros: I've actually heard of it; Cons: seems awfully pricey. I kind of like the look of the audio interface packages you can get that come bundled with an express version of PT, like the Fast Track solo/duo. But is that just a 'crippleware' version that is going to sucker me into buying PT 11 or 12 before I can think twice?

I'm also looking at interfaces on Trade Me. There is a Sennheiser UR22 with a start price of $100, and a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 on $1 reserve that is currently up to $51. Are these sound start-up options, and if so, what is a fair used price?

That is about as far as I've got, but any and all advice would be appreciated!!!
I am about a day away from listing the interface I have to free up some cash. It's pretty basic and worked fine for me, it's been sat in its box for about a year so should go to someone who will use it. It's ex-Capt. Black so hopefully he sees this and can chip in with some info and hopefully advice on a fair price!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Yep reaper, and scarlet interface.
I've done a lot wit this set up with DI and a cheap condenser mic or an sm58 with the cone taken off.
Have been using reaper free for about 3 years. Will buy one day....

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Oh and the scarlet 2i4 is great.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I should mention if you're using a mic they don't clip on the inputs, it's only if you plug a guitar in direct...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Brilliant! Thanks for all the input. I will definitely try out Reaper - think I was getting ahead of myself with PT!
Thewilltopowerrock wrote: I am about a day away from listing the interface I have to free up some cash. It's pretty basic and worked fine for me, it's been sat in its box for about a year so should go to someone who will use it. It's ex-Capt. Black so hopefully he sees this and can chip in with some info and hopefully advice on a fair price!
I would certainly be interested - what is it? The Scarlett 2i4 on TM is now up to $72 with another 6 days to go, so it may get beyond me (I don't really want to spend too much more than $100).

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

benderissimo wrote: Best bet would be to get Reaper, a basic audio interface, a microphone (and stand and cable) and some headphones and then just get stuck in with your existing computer.
I think this is pretty much going to be the plan. Is there any reason to get some basic monitors? I'm inclined to think not - I'm happy with headphones. No-one else is going to be listening!

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

This thread has been very informative - thanks dudes. We've moved into our brand new house (redundancy woes are now behind us) and I have my own muso room - so I'm thinking about getting into home recording properly instead of the shit way (recording into a Ditto looper or something and transferring to PC).