null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Help with getting started in home recording

Post by null_pointer »

Molly wrote:Enjoyed this Pete Thorn demon on impulse responses (didn't even know what they were before I watched this) and recording with load boxes (again, all new to me I have to confess).

After watching that I might hold onto my Torpedo Live...

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Drummer wants better recording quality before he gives out demos.
We don't really have the time or inclination to do track by track recording, so we're thinking still recording live, but instead of room mics into a stereo track, 8 mics into 8 seperate tracks we can mix.

This is looking like quite a bargain:
https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/focusri ... eamps.html

edit: doh that's the first gen. second gen is 200 more but probably worth it
https://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/focusri ... ack-1.html

Before dropping that kind of money, can anyone tell me if this is folly?

p.s. I have a laptop with an i5 processor and SSD disk. It's pretty fast, hoping it can handle it.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

I've been through a pile of home recording over the last few years. Have recently started working with a local engineer producer/engineer and if there's one thing I'll say, it's this:

If you're recording yourself but don't have the heart go it, don't bother. Self-producing is a nightmare. Don't waste ANY money on gear. Find someone with a good ear and some tried and tested skills and run with that. You'll save a fortune and a ton of ego bruising!
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

The only problem with my focusrite scarlett interface, I found, is the Hi Z input isn't that good. Was quite noisy.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

MattH wrote:I've been through a pile of home recording over the last few years. Have recently started working with a local engineer producer/engineer and if there's one thing I'll say, it's this:

If you're recording yourself but don't have the heart go it, don't bother. Self-producing is a nightmare. Don't waste ANY money on gear. Find someone with a good ear and some tried and tested skills and run with that. You'll save a fortune and a ton of ego bruising!
Yeah, I suggested we get a pro to do it. Other guys are concerned about the cost and the process itself. We already have a bunch of mics and a fair amount of experience between us - bass player has recorded an album with seperate instrument tracks, has no interest in doing it again, drummer used to run his own record label and knows what studios cost, myself I like music recorded live, warts and all. I've been doing our recordings with room mics for quite a while now.

I'm thinking this might be better than the focusrite:
https://www.soundstore.co.nz/p-3602-pre ... rface.aspx