Moderator: Capt. Black

stuu
PRS McCarty
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Mac for basic garageband-ing

Post by stuu »

Setting up a very low key workstation at home for admin, a bit of web work and some recording via helix or jamhub. Mega limited budget.

Would this have the guts to run up to 8 channels of audio and that nifty garageband auto-drummer...? http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desk ... 140614.htm

I have a pretty powerful PC laptop already. Really just after a garageband machine (ideally a mac, but only for that software consideration) that isn't a laptop (so it wont move, or be left uncharged - and will always be ready to go).

Testing the waters. If i can achieve similar results with my PC laptop without buying any more software i'd be open to suggestion. Key features for me is the auto drummer, and idiot-proofness. Plug and play etc. Any help much appreciated.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Re: Mac for basic garageband-ing

Post by bender »

Should be OK, but you might want to hold out for something that will run a more recent version of Mac OS X. Another option to look out for is a Mac Mini. They're pretty good value. Just add keyboard and monitor.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Was going to suggest a mac mini, are the versions of garageband with the drummer not dependent on a more recent OS?

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

Yeah keen for a mac mini, imac just seems to have a better value/cost once you factor in the screen needed for a mini.

Good point RE the OS version. i'll do my research and find out what's capable of running the current OSX.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

iMacs post 2007 can run the current OSX (El Capitan) so you should be right

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Eruera wrote:iMacs post 2007 can run the current OSX (El Capitan) so you should be right
Well, there you go.