MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Piano and vocals

Post by MattH »

Check out this live recording of my talented friend Ben on piano and vocals. Sadly, I only had two channels on my interface, and he wanted to perform it live, so I borrowed a Mackie desk and put it in front of my Focusrite Forte. The piano is stereo miced left and right on the desk, with the vocal centred on another channel with a little added reverb from the desk (not much).

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1whU7AFGNxb

Took the stereo output out of the desk and put it into the two available line level inputs of the Forte, which meant I had to be careful with gain staging and couldn't use those beautiful preamps unfortunately.

Still, it came alright, I think. Shows how much of successful recording is about capturing performance, not about the gear!

Thoughts?
Last edited by MattH on Mon May 16, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Re: Piano and vocals

Post by Miza »

Nice. Very nice.

No constructive feedback from me, other than I really enjoyed that and would happily listen to more.
Nothing to see here.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Piano and vocals

Post by MattH »

Thanks! Good to know. I'll be adding some lap steel to that one over the coming days.

We actually recorded 4 tracks in total in the basement of a piano shop here in New Plymouth.

Never recorded live piano before, so it was a real baptism of fire!

I think his performances were probably sharp enough for an EP. He had the pick of a few grands, but that particular track was recorded on a really nice upright, which was my pick of the bunch. Such a stately sound for an upright.
All the gear... absolutely no idea...