Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Monitor problem arrghh

Post by Aquila Rossa »

My Presonus monitors just went apeshit and i do not know why. They run for a bit and make this really loud rasping farty noise that does not respond to the volume being turned down (they pitch of the noise changes when turning the volume control). It happens no matter the source. Any ideas why?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Monitor problem arrghh

Post by jeremyb »

Dodgy cooling fan?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

Monitors and a pedal having issues. Haven't had a power surge have you?
Wellington

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

vintage52 wrote:Monitors and a pedal having issues. Haven't had a power surge have you?
Might be. Power was off for several hours yesterday and again last night. Monitors are working again now. Over an hour of them refusing to. Just about replaced them. Will have to hold off pedal buying sprees for now just to make sure. FFS. Me and things that make noise.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

They just did it again right in the middle of jammin. Weird. they ran fine all evening. They are just little Presonus Ceres i put in my suitcase coming back from Canada. Never seen a set of speakers of any type do this before. Bummed out. Not sure how to work out wtf is making this happen with speakers. I am in a caravan (or mobile studio if you prefer ) until i get my own place and power is just one extension cord. Power light on the Laney fades in and out at times, so maybe it is power browning out, or i hope. Take them inside the house tomorrow and test. Interface usb socket is crackly and contact cleaner doesn't fix it, so means probably need new one. Now this shot. So much for pedal gas satisfaction.

edit. Laney off and speakers work again. Maybe brown out. Anybody heard of powered monitors doing this due to power issues?

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Process of elimination diagnosis time.

Speaker had a little heat in the bi-amp both times they crapped out, so that is the first thing to test. Running an audio loop to test that. So far, so good.

If it passes that test, then the next is to see if it is power brown out, because this has only happened when jammin with the Laney amp on.

Pretty good sounding flat response monitors for such baby little 4" drivers, so hopefully they are fine. Guess should think about getting some monitors with 6" or 8" drivers tho. I need to do better than Sat's $30 lotto win :D

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

how long is the extension cord?
is the cable a white Kmart type lead or is it a bigass yellow one from a hardware store?
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

mrmofo wrote:how long is the extension cord?
is the cable a white Kmart type lead or is it a bigass yellow one from a hardware store?
Not mine. Black. Its about 6 meters. Construction site grade.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I am hoping the problem is caused by the Audiobox and its faulty USB jack. Today that is the only way I have been able to reproduce the issue. Test a bit more. If it is the case, I will replace the interface with Bender's Eleven Rack. That solves the interface issue, plus gives me post FX and also cabinet and mic sims that may work well with the IRT Studio. Could be happy days. Using Guitar Rig cabinets atm. They are a little too filtered, while the laney's built in cab sim is the opposite and only has one flavour to choose from.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

the only other thing I can think of is in regards to the power plug the extension cord is plugged into.
is there anything else that's plugged into the same circuit? is the extension cable plugged into a multi board? is it plugged into a two gang wall plate sharing the circuit with a fridge, washing machine etc?
if it is power related it may be an easy fix
cheers man and good luck
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

mrmofo wrote:the only other thing I can think of is in regards to the power plug the extension cord is plugged into.
is there anything else that's plugged into the same circuit? is the extension cable plugged into a multi board? is it plugged into a two gang wall plate sharing the circuit with a fridge, washing machine etc?
if it is power related it may be an easy fix
cheers man and good luck
Extension plugs into caravan and that feeds a two plug wall mount socket. Computer, active monitors, CS7 and a LCD are on a filtered and surge protected multi box, amp is in the second wall socket. However, I removed the recording interface that runs the speakers and have not been able to reproduce the problem since. Seems that running the faulty interface while also running the amp is what made it happen. Do not know why except the USB socket on the interface is dodgy. Speakers seem okay now. Fingers crossed. Should really put the amp on the multi too I guess.

I have an Eleven Rack coming to replace the Audiobox interface. Should pair up nice with the Laney IRT Studio. Better interface and gives me more cab sim and FX options.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

The Ceres monitors ran for a few days okay, but yesterday and today flipped out again. Not the Audiobox or the amp or anything causing it. They flip even when nothing is plugged into them. It's just the monitors. Turn them off for a while and they come right. Need new monitors.

Anybody wanna swap an Eleven Rack for monitors?