Post your favorite mics and mic combos for the studio..

Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: Post your favorite mics and mic combos for the studio..

Post by JHorner »

bender wrote:Here's a soundcloud playlist of a Sennheiser MD412 (not to be confused with a 421) and a Cascade Fathead, coincident miked, with the 412 pointing straight at the middle of the speaker and the fathead at 45degrees from the same spot (so out towards the cone).
https://soundcloud.com/benderissimo/sets/dual-mic-tests
Thanks! That very clearly illustrates to me the benefit of the technique. To my ears, 412 is a bit too trebly, Fathead a bit too bassy, put them together, sounds great.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

I've been using a slightly modded Avontone CV12 and a 57 blended for a few years. Really happy with the results, and they complement each other well. There are a few other mics I'd love to try, but these are what I have and they do a great job. Did some of the album guitars with a U87 and a Royer 121 and they are a pretty killer combo.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

SimonHirst wrote:I've been using a slightly modded Avontone CV12 and a 57 blended for a few years. Really happy with the results, and they complement each other well. There are a few other mics I'd love to try, but these are what I have and they do a great job. Did some of the album guitars with a U87 and a Royer 121 and they are a pretty killer combo.
oooh a tube condenser, nice!

What band/album dude?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE my Cascade Fathead - it's a dark sounding mic for sure, but when you chuck it in front of a cab, that means that you don't have to roll treble off like I tend to do with many mics. I'm sure a Royer R121 is even better but I've never had a chance to try one. If the Fathead is too, well, fat, you can blend with another mic. I have a soft spot for the Sennheiser e906, which is a killer dynamic. But I don't own one so usually I use the e609, which sounds similar but not quite as tasty. SM57 works great too, but it's quite 'grindy' sounding to me, quite aggressive midrange bite and bark.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

JHorner wrote:
bender wrote:Here's a soundcloud playlist of a Sennheiser MD412 (not to be confused with a 421) and a Cascade Fathead, coincident miked, with the 412 pointing straight at the middle of the speaker and the fathead at 45degrees from the same spot (so out towards the cone).
https://soundcloud.com/benderissimo/sets/dual-mic-tests
Thanks! That very clearly illustrates to me the benefit of the technique. To my ears, 412 is a bit too trebly, Fathead a bit too bassy, put them together, sounds great.
It's worth baring in mind that the mic placement/angle accentuate those characteristics too. But yeah, that's pretty much the exact point of the technique. I really love it.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

griff7628 wrote:
SimonHirst wrote:I've been using a slightly modded Avontone CV12 and a 57 blended for a few years. Really happy with the results, and they complement each other well. There are a few other mics I'd love to try, but these are what I have and they do a great job. Did some of the album guitars with a U87 and a Royer 121 and they are a pretty killer combo.

What band/album dude?
Haha, yeah, it's nice sounding on amps! Generally works well with the clean to nicely over driving sounds I use. I haven't tried it with any hi gain amps yet though unfortunately. As a random aside, I'm not such a fan of it for vocals though.
I'm currently nearing the end of tracking a solo album.
Alas I could never find the right band so I had to go the solo route (Nooooo....) Haha. I just go by my name. It's certainly not Mick Jagger, but it's the name I have so there we are I guess :D

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

I think the Fathead will work great if you're using an isocab. I love mine but it's non-switchable figure-of-8 pattern so I don't use it a whole lot at home.

Most of the times I just use 1x SM7B, what it picks up usually sound fairly close to what I'm hearing straight from the cab.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

godgrinder wrote:I think the Fathead will work great if you're using an isocab. I love mine but it's non-switchable figure-of-8 pattern so I don't use it a whole lot at home.

Most of the times I just use 1x SM7B, what it picks up usually sound fairly close to what I'm hearing straight from the cab.
Yeah, that's my go-to mic at the moment. I've got a serious ribbon on the way which should be pretty kick-ass though.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

bender wrote:
godgrinder wrote:I think the Fathead will work great if you're using an isocab. I love mine but it's non-switchable figure-of-8 pattern so I don't use it a whole lot at home.

Yeah, that's my go-to mic at the moment. I've got a serious ribbon on the way which should be pretty kick-ass though.
Oooooo, what'chu got coming Bender?
+1 on the SM7B, I swear they generally sound really good on pretty much anything.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

SimonHirst wrote:
bender wrote:

Oooooo, what'chu got coming Bender?
+1 on the SM7B, I swear they generally sound really good on pretty much anything.
Coles 4038

Plus a Neumann KM84 B-)

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SimonHirst »

Aaaaaaarggghhh! Epic man!

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Cool man! Sounds like the fathead is a goer but a bit pricey. Maybe a 2nd hand one will pop up.
The mkii's are $750

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

griff7628 wrote:Cool man! Sounds like the fathead is a goer but a bit pricey. Maybe a 2nd hand one will pop up.
The mkii's are $750
I think most people here have the MK1. Just get the BE version which is the same mic but without bells & whistles like flightcase and shockmount.

http://www.stlproaudio.co.nz/cascade-fa ... icrophone/
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Yeah just saw that before. $350 sounds pretty good.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

SimonHirst wrote:
griff7628 wrote:

What band/album dude?
Haha, yeah, it's nice sounding on amps! Generally works well with the clean to nicely over driving sounds I use. I haven't tried it with any hi gain amps yet though unfortunately. As a random aside, I'm not such a fan of it for vocals though.
I'm currently nearing the end of tracking a solo album.
Alas I could never find the right band so I had to go the solo route (Nooooo....) Haha. I just go by my name. It's certainly not Mick Jagger, but it's the name I have so there we are I guess :D
Good on ya man.. maybe we can hear some of ya goodness when its released!?