Using studio monitors for Helix and Laptop?

Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

Slimo
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

Using studio monitors for Helix and Laptop?

Post by Slimo »

Bit of a weird one - I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff...
Recently swapped my amp for a Helix so I had to buy some studio monitors to play it through. I like to play along with tunes from my laptop though so I have a pair of desktop computer speakers for that too. Any way I can combine the two sound sources through the 1 set of speakers?

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Re: Using studio monitors for Helix and Laptop?

Post by rickenbackerkid »

buy a USB interface like the one BG is selling, plug the helix into it and then use the Focusrite software it come with to mix the inputs and laptop however you like.

I use an audient interface which is a bit higher end but there's affordable behringer and presonus interfaces if you're on a budget.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I'm not actually that familiar with the Helix but can't it be used as an audio interface? So if I'm right you could plug the Helix directly into the monitors, connect to your laptop via USB, and send both sound sources through the studio monitors.

You may find you get a bit of noise if the laptop is plugged in to the charger, so you might need a cheapy noise filter if that is the case.

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 94 times

Post by opsguy »

I think Nik is right - laptop to helix via usb, helix to monitors.
Line 6 support is helpful

http://line6.com/support/topic/15619-he ... %C2%BFwhy/

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Zaulkin wrote:I'm not actually that familiar with the Helix but can't it be used as an audio interface? So if I'm right you could plug the Helix directly into the monitors, connect to your laptop via USB, and send both sound sources through the studio monitors.

You may find you get a bit of noise if the laptop is plugged in to the charger, so you might need a cheapy noise filter if that is the case.
Yep this will work, no issues with noise with me. I plug my helix into my laptop via USB and all the laptop sound comes back through the helix.