StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

iphone recording mount/mic

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Is a direct plug into iphone mic and stand an acceptable gear recording set up?
If so can anyone reccommend something ?

Or am I best doing the laptop - USB interface for audio and marrying that to video from the phone.

I kind of like the ease of having the iphone 15pro max do it all and just upload directly after some simple editing but im easily swayed.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Re: iphone recording mount/mic

Post by NippleWrestler »

For professional recording? Nope.

For getting ideas down and having them easily sharable? Yep.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

NippleWrestler wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:59 am For professional recording? Nope.

For getting ideas down and having them easily sharable? Yep.
The latter

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Then yeah that's fine. I put my phone on the table or desk or floor or my thigh, open the recording app, do the thing, then click share and send it the jam groups WhatsApp group.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

I have a little Rode Mic that plugs directly into the lightning port of my iPhone, it doesn’t actually sound any better than the iPhones inbuilt mic but it’s directional and handles 115db so isolates much better than the iPhone. The 15 Pro Max will have USBc?
I’m sure you could find a USBc adapter to run one of the USB condenser mics but have no experience. I can’t be bothered syncing audio later as it’s another step in recording and editing and frankly I don’t have time with a busy household. Im most often recording with mic into mixer and directly out of mixer into Camera from mixer outputs, this requires mixing live and getting it right but ultimately I can film, edit and upload to YouTube in an hour, which when your time poor is the only option sometimes.
Recording seperate audio and syncing them together later will give you better results with more control though, you can edit your audio properly adding EQ/compression/panning etc

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Good info

I just want to be able to do the odd demo clip for the forum etc

Have Bender for actual band recording scenarios

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

If you want convenience and sound quality, check out the Apogee One.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

I got one of these recently for doing exactly what you are wanting to do: https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/IK-Multi ... -Interface (I do have a bunch of mics already though....)

You need to use it with one of those 3.5mm adaptor cables but I got this rather than a lightning one because apple are changing to USB C so I wanted to future proof myself... it takes a couple of AA batteries so it can provide phantom power if required, haven't tested it yet been too busy playing pedalboard chess...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:08 am I got one of these recently for doing exactly what you are wanting to do: https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/IK-Multi ... -Interface (I do have a bunch of mics already though....)

You need to use it with one of those 3.5mm adaptor cables but I got this rather than a lightning one because apple are changing to USB C so I wanted to future proof myself... it takes a couple of AA batteries so it can provide phantom power if required, haven't tested it yet been too busy playing pedalboard chess...
Oh that’s pretty cool
AA batteries tho? That’s a bit 1997 isn’t it ? Why wouldn’t they make it usb rechargeable ?
My iPhone has a USB c as it’s a 15 so I’m aussuming there would be something similar that would work with that ?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:45 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:08 am I got one of these recently for doing exactly what you are wanting to do: https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/IK-Multi ... -Interface (I do have a bunch of mics already though....)

Oh that’s pretty cool
AA batteries tho? That’s a bit 1997 isn’t it ? Why wouldn’t they make it usb rechargeable ?
My iPhone has a USB c as it’s a 15 so I’m aussuming there would be something similar that would work with that ?
Cost savings no doubt, you'd likely want this one: https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/IK-Multi ... th-Mic-Pre or for a 3.5mm one like mine you can just use the $18 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm cable with it :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:50 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:45 pm

Oh that’s pretty cool
Cost savings no doubt, you'd likely want this one: https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/IK-Multi ... th-Mic-Pre or for a 3.5mm one like mine you can just use the $18 Apple USB-C to 3.5mm cable with it :thumbup:
Crazy !

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:53 pm There are mic options too: https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/IK-Multi ... ic-Cast-HD
That one is powered by the device by the looks

…. Batteries !!! Still getting over it

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Almost used an interobang

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »