Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Missing: Gibson ES135

Post by Molly »

I may have a slightly different perspective as I used to research and evaluate surveillance technology / police information systems.

I care less about Westfield knowing my movements around a shopping mall than I do about spending years wondering what scumbag nicked my amp or whatever.

Worth noting that bureaucracy is the first form of surveillance and that's been around for thousands of years.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Molly wrote:I may have a slightly different perspective as I used to research and evaluate surveillance technology / police information systems.

I care less about Westfield knowing my movements around a shopping mall than I do about spending years wondering what scumbag nicked my amp or whatever.

Worth noting that bureaucracy is the first form of surveillance and that's been around for thousands of years.
I fully admit elements of tinfoil hattedness, hence the bottom of my post. I'm not fussed about Westfield knowing which shops I go in and out of, that was just an example of the real-world value of your tracked information. However, as I'm sure you appreciate with your background, there is no such thing as secure data. Whether it be for public safety, or for less positive reasons, if there's a database that contains your details and whereabouts, there are people outside of the intended recipient that can access it.

I see it as a balancing act, a cost and benefit analysis, I just would like people to think about what they are giving away when they look at systems like this.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

You're right and I wasn't having a go. We should think about this stuff. We underestimate how much of it we already give away (posting on forums for example). I'd love to be 'off the grid' and hate that when I Google my name (which we've all done, I'm sure) I can be located very quickly.

The Tile though. I think that's great and look forward to the spread of this kind of facility.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

another aspect to it is that the companies that collect that data aren't government agencies or charities. They are doing it because your data has value and they want to sell it. If anyone is going to financially benefit from collecting data on what I consume I really do feel it should be me.

Beyond that its getting pretty fucking scary how much can be collected about you. The boss is on an Android phone and some of the stuff that it has worked out about him without his input is pretty scary. The map software knows where he lives and works, and now recommends restaurants to him based on places he frequently visits, and presents relevant advertising to him.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jimi wrote:another aspect to it is that the companies that collect that data aren't government agencies or charities. They are doing it because your data has value and they want to sell it. If anyone is going to financially benefit from collecting data on what I consume I really do feel it should be me.

Beyond that its getting pretty fucking scary how much can be collected about you. The boss is on an Android phone and some of the stuff that it has worked out about him without his input is pretty scary. The map software knows where he lives and works, and now recommends restaurants to him based on places he frequently visits, and presents relevant advertising to him.
I had a mate in the UK who worked for a company that sold that information. What was shocking was just how underhand they were at obtaining live emails, phone numbers and personal details. The company was prosecuted a number of times, but the owner always got out of it by claiming ignorance and saying it was a staff member acting without his knowledge. My mate left because he realised it was his turn next, as the owner would start leaving the necessary paper trail to incriminate the next target employee and he got wind of it.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.