Moderator: Capt. Black

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Room mic experimentation with the AFD100

Post by Some Bozo »

So on what basis did you decide it "feels like mono". The Force?
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

capt abaham wrote:

I stopped doing your band because you were a bunch of spineless liars, why not try honesty HG? The deal was that I would be paid as a member as an equal cut once the band started earning more than 1K per gig, any band payment under 1K meant that I would be paid $90. You guys were always whining about money so most of the time I just dropped my payment to $80 or $60. Then after you guys started getting paid more than 1K you didn’t honour the agreement. So I told you guys to shove it, I didn’t enjoy the yuppie noob attitude of your band anyway. hey! What happened when I bought you a beer? You bought yourself two beers; did you think the beer I bought for you was a gift? You obviously don’t know what a “round” is. You guys were a bunch of social retards and I was only doing sound for you guys as a favour to Ant. Shortly after I started doing sound for your band you all said how much you loved me, and told me how much better the sound was, I taught you guys where to stand on stage to get good separation, and helped you well above the brief, all to be paid back by not honouring your agreement. After being treated like that I thought you lot were a pathetic bunch of losers with huge egos I already knew you lot can’t solo and don’t know how to arrange for horns unless it’s all Unison. Mate, it was a joke listening to you guys play at the Jazz fest watching everyone wince once the sax solo started. The recording I did, I still have and the sax player didn’t want anyone to hear how bad he played so he killed the whole project.
Slash’ed, this is what you will learn once you get the whole panning thing down
Wow. That's impressive.

And it's amazing how our memories of the period differ. Particularly around the parting of the ways. Here's me thinking we stopped working with you because of a wee on-the-gig zzzzzzzzzzzz problem...

I'll be fair, though. It can't have been easy for you working with us: at that time as a band we were 'learning our trade' to put it mildly and were only just starting to welcome in new members of greater skillsets.

And in terms of audio skills you were an upgrade from our previous guy at the time. In retrospect that upgrade was similar to getting a plywood strat copy to replace a homemade guitar fashioned from a biscuit tin and squash racquet parts. But at the time, we were definitely happier.

We were also happier once we stopped working together. What with things improving radically on the soundchecking, FOH sound and recording front straight away.

Of course, this could be coincidence: Maybe we all instantly improved greatly as a band right at the same time as we hired a new soundguy (who was beloved and stayed with us for years) and started using proper recording venues and personnel.

Regarding finance: I wonder how the memories of those involved in band finance compare to yours?

And finally to the most important issue at hand: Beer.

I would be prepared to provide you with beer to redress any round imbalances incurred in the murky past. I used a plural just in case this happened more than once. Redeemable either in Saigon or at such a time as I become a resident in NZ again.

I'll even let you fall asleep mid-sup.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

OK...just so we're clear, you're bringing the beer next time. I'd hate for me to get all upset n stuff HG.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

...it's your round though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Awesome thread. However the only contribution I can offer is my Avatar.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

*UNIQUE* wrote:OK...just so we're clear, you're bringing the beer next time. I'd hate for me to get all upset n stuff HG.
Done! (whenever that will be)
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

capt abaham wrote:
Some Bozo wrote:So ol' golden ears muzuki can't tell mono from stereo? Say it ain't so. My faith in dudes who work with mics every day has been shattered.
do you really believe i listened to the clips?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Room mic experimentation with the AFD100

Post by Capt. Black »

This thread is a beautiful example of why such old sayings as, "better to remain silent and be thought a fool..." etc. came about.

Of course, seeing who believes who that applies to is the most Entertaining part... :)

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Last night I thought "Why the heck did they unlock that thread?", but today's additions have added some much more life and colour.

I thank thee mods.

Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

BG wrote:It's in the Geneva convention....
lol love that movie
capt abaham wrote:i`m pretty sure i`m well within the rules mate

hows the panning going? on a mono track? what happens when you pan left on a mono track? are you using some kind of software thing where it compensates for stuff?
you do know that you can pan a mono track? In most DAWs mono and stereo simply refers to how many input channels a track has and you can still pan both either way, as they are all coming out in stereo regardless, just like on some desks where you can Pan a track that is in MONO, which is what Ed was talking about I'm sure.

Inb4 I'm a tool and don't know anything because I can't solo for shit or whatever

EDIT: basically Bender summed it up, yes the sources are mono but are summed in the DAW to stereo outs therefore can be panned. Unless you're mixing down to mono for some reason of course
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I had been considering going home early today, but instead opted to stay on and read more.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

The Scarecrow wrote:I had been considering going home early today, but instead opted to stay on and read more.

Great show!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

badmotor wrote:Image
for some reason this is weirding me out :? ............ so it fits perfectly into this thread :shock:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Capt. Black wrote:This thread is a beautiful example of why such old sayings as, "better to remain silent and be thought a fool..." etc. came about.
While we're on old sayings, there's another that is appropriate:

"Those who possess intelligence, seldom need to prove it. Those who often feel they need to prove their intelligence, seldom possess it."

or words to that effect anyway.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

willow13 wrote:
badmotor wrote:Image
for some reason this is weirding me out :? ............ so it fits perfectly into this thread :shock:
Don't stare at the circular pattern.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.