Room mic experimentation with the AFD100

Moderator: Capt. Black

TBB Flamey
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Room mic experimentation with the AFD100

Post by TBB Flamey »

Hot_Grits wrote:
slash-ed wrote:How dare you be on topic.

I still think the third one sounds most like it does to me, personally, in real life. The i5 only tone would be perfect to put into a mix, but still doesn't have a lot of the low end meat that the amp has in person.
here's something you might not know: it is common for engineers to trim bass OFF guitar tracks to sit them in a mix better.

It's one of those things you see an engineer do and think 'wait a second, there, buddy!' only to hear it and go 'well that worked out surprisingly well'.

Upshot: you may be closer to a very usable tone than you think.
Int that the whole definition of bedroom tone compared to actual real workable tone?
Live love leave eat sandwiches

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Hot_Grits wrote:
slash-ed wrote:How dare you be on topic.

I still think the third one sounds most like it does to me, personally, in real life. The i5 only tone would be perfect to put into a mix, but still doesn't have a lot of the low end meat that the amp has in person.
here's something you might not know: it is common for engineers to trim bass OFF guitar tracks to sit them in a mix better.

It's one of those things you see an engineer do and think 'wait a second, there, buddy!' only to hear it and go 'well that worked out surprisingly well'.

Upshot: you may be closer to a very usable tone than you think.
Oh, I agree completely.

You probably missed it in the wonderful storm of "you're a tool" etc, but like I said somewhere this more for, as TBB says, demoing the "bedroom" tone. I see a lot of comments on the interwebz saying that they're too trebly, don't have enough bass etc etc (especially for the modded JCM mode) so I thought I'd try and put something more representative together.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Tonnes of good advice in this thread that should get you to a better result there Ed. You are lucky you are in such good company - it can take many hours of research and much more of experimentation to learn this stuff.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Definitely, and that's why I asked!

Although next time I will learn to ask before I ask just in case I'm not already an expert asker. With respect.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

With respect Ed, I think you should learn to ask how to ask before you ask, you think you are an expert 'asker' but really you're a tool.
Ummm....

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

This thread is full of useful learn, I appreciate you bringing up the subject Ed, as much as I do the great replies, especially in light of my own recent attempts at bedroom recording (even though I'm technically a "qualified" audio engineer already, I suck).
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Hot_Grits wrote:Fun thread!

I've generally found room miking does little to improve an overdriven rock guitar sound once placed in a mix, in that the extra depth and reality of tone you gain in receiving the 'human ear's standpoint' is quickly presented as a lack of definition in a mix. The exception tends to be using the room mic as the 'reverb channel' in a hard panned single track of guitar tune, ala Page and EVH.

Now here's a great trick for getting a fatter rock guitar sound. And cheap too, at least in terms of mics. Straight from the mouth of real studio pro Tom Syrowski, with demonstration:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6fnyW7dBWc[/youtube]
Thanks for that. Unfortunately that's too long to watch at work (even for me :lol: :lol: ). Until I have time to watch the whole thing... whereabouts does one find the gist of it?

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

The first 5 mins.
Ummm....

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

badmotor wrote:Tonnes of good advice in this thread that should get you to a better result there Ed. You are lucky you are in such good company - it can take many hours of research and much more of experimentation to learn this stuff.
I think the most helpful advice we can all get from this is that if you want to put your second mic off axis then YOUR A TOOL YOUR A TOOL YOUR A TOOL
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

sopachrga wrote:The first 5 mins.
Yeah, that's as far as I got too...I do wonder what the other 85 minutes are about though :think:

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Also, I see everyone using the "with respect" in a haphazard manner: Ricky Bobby shows us how it's done:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA[/youtube]
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

It's in the Geneva convention....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Scooter13 wrote:
sopachrga wrote:The first 5 mins.
Yeah, that's as far as I got too...I do wonder what the other 85 minutes are about though :think:
Actually no... it's not till about 6mins where he flips the 2nd mic back into phase where it all comes together. Good example, HG.

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

I just brought a new mixer. Yeah, that's right, BROUGHT, bitches.

As a fully respectful motherfucker, I will only ask questions for which I already know the answers. Watch and learn, Ed.

Should I plug the provided power cord into the mixer or into my guitar?

Do I plug the XLR cables into the XLR inputs, or do I try to put them in the 1/4" inputs?

Is Firewire just the same as USB, but with a cooler name?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

twistedthoughts wrote:I just brought a new mixer.
didn't read any further. You're a tool. You're a tool. You're a tool. You're a tool.You're a tool. You're a tool. You're a tool.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.