Moderator: Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Recording with Audacity

Post by Bg »

yep, I did it for years with a gravis ultrasound then a soundblaster, linux probably has an equivalent to the windows 'mixer' in the corner of the windows icon tray, just set levels on that and all is sweet.
You said you had a box though? and a young person around the house to sort it out in 5 mins and roll his eyes at you?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

BG wrote:yep, I did it for years with a gravis ultrasound then a soundblaster, linux probably has an equivalent to the windows 'mixer' in the corner of the windows icon tray, just set levels on that and all is sweet.
You said you had a box though? and a young person around the house to sort it out in 5 mins and roll his eyes at you?
No box, and the young person is still in Canada. He's discovered Spruce forests, Buffalo burgers and Squirrels and doesn't want to come home.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

slowfingers wrote: Seriously? I can do that? I'll need a 6.5-3.5 adapter though. Do I need a preamp or will the guitar run direct? I realise a preamp will vastly improve my tonal options.
Yeah, you'll need an adapter but that's like $2.50 from Dick Smith's.

You can either get a preamp of some sort or just mike up your amp, I suppose.

Guitar wouldn't sound too terrible straight in. It doesn't sound wonderful, but it's acceptable, at least for getting ideas down.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Vince wrote:
slowfingers wrote: Seriously? I can do that? I'll need a 6.5-3.5 adapter though. Do I need a preamp or will the guitar run direct? I realise a preamp will vastly improve my tonal options.
Yeah, you'll need an adapter but that's like $2.50 from Dick Smith's.

You can either get a preamp of some sort or just mike up your amp, I suppose.

Guitar wouldn't sound too terrible straight in. It doesn't sound wonderful, but it's acceptable, at least for getting ideas down.
It'll sound like a DI'd guitar, which as you say is ok... but then you can use Guitar Rig or a similar amp/effects plug-in to make it sound all nice. Apparently Guitar Rig can be borrowed from one of those sites that allows you to download programmes without paying for them.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

rob_on_guitar
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 8 times

Post by rob_on_guitar »

Oh and if your going to stick with audacity, make sure you get all the add ons and extra fx, they come in handy and do an awesome job